Costa Atlantica / beverages

fallbeauty

Hello

We are headed out on the Costa Atlantica on Feb 6...first time on Costa. What kind of beverages are available for free in the restaurant and buffet area? Can you get drinking water in this area? what about fruit juices? Also considering smuggling some liquor onboard (just a little) has anyone done this? Was able to on Carnival but wasnt sure about Costa.

Many thanks

rita:)

Hi Rita,

Fruit juice (pineapple and grapefruit, and one more which I forget) as well as iced tea are available free of charge all day long, as well as ice and water, and coffee (decaf and regular) and tea.

Soft drinks are $2.00, plus 15% gratuity, plus an extra amount if the ship is in port (there was a Florida tax on our drinks on the first day).

We managed to smuggle some rum on board by pouring it into plastic bottles (make sure they seal well) and placing it in our luggage before boarding - but after landing in Fort Lauderdale.

The "drink of the day" is $4.95; my husband was a little miffed because his Budweiser was classified as an "imported" beer, and priced accordingly..

I'm sure you'll have a great time -- enjoy!

Linda

fallbeauty,

Orange juice was also available. We actually drink a ton of ice tea on the ship ... you can also request it in the dining room with your meal, though I don't think we ever had them offer it.

Everyone in the dining room also got a free glass of champagne on the last formal night to toast each other. We almost ordered a glass just for the occasion, but they provided it, which was nice. (Not sure if they do this on every ship???)

Christina

Hi John,

Since there is a 15% service charge added automatically whenever you order a drink, I don't think it is necessary to tip the wait staff, although some people who became "regulars" in certain bars seemed to be doing so. We did give a (small) tip to the person who delivered our breakfast to our cabin, though.

Have fun!

Linda

Hi John,

We were a little late in booking our shore excursion for the Caymans, so there wasn't as much choice left. If you like to snorkel, I would suggest the combination reef and rays tour, which takes you out to swim with the stingrays, then on to a reef for snorkling. If you want to stop at seven mile beach on your way back, I think you can ask the bus driver to drop you off; a taxi back to town is about $4.00 ( or so we were told ).

If you have your own gear, you can snorkle right in town, at a place called Eden Rock. They have a restaurant and picnic tables outside, and for $4.00 you can rent a locker for your clothes and valuables. They also rent snorkle gear.

Because the transfers to shore are by tenders, the passengers who booked excursions were given priority, and could leave the ship sooner than the others. I think the tenders became available to the other passengers around 9 or 9:30 am.

If you are thinking of calling home, or would like to use the internet, you should try to do so in either Cozumel or Ocho Rios, as the calling facilities on Grand Caymen appeared to be rather expensive.

Have fun!

Linda

There are several tour operators waiting just outside the gates in Grand Caymen that offer tours that will get you back on the ship in time. I also heard they may be a little cheaper than the ship tours. I scuba dove in Cayman (booked on board) and that was great but others have enjoyed the stingrays tours there. A walk through the city is not as good as it should have been since they were still recovering from the hurricane. The shopping center at the port was 100% operational.

I also found that although Orange Juice, tea and Pineapple Juice were available 24/7, you have to search for it. During meal times, all the fountains are open, but between meals, they may only have one open.

I guess it would be easy to "smuggle" some booze aboard in your checked baggage, they search hand baggage pretty good. I bought a small bottle of rum in Key West and put it in my pocket as I walked through the metal detector (plastic top on bottle).

Have a great time.

Hi John,

We were a little late in booking our shore excursion for the Caymans, so there wasn't as much choice left. If you like to snorkel, I would suggest the combination reef and rays tour, which takes you out to swim with the stingrays, then on to a reef for snorkling. If you want to stop at seven mile beach on your way back, I think you can ask the bus driver to drop you off; a taxi back to town is about $4.00 ( or so we were told ).

If you have your own gear, you can snorkle right in town, at a place called Eden Rock. They have a restaurant and picnic tables outside, and for $4.00 you can rent a locker for your clothes and valuables. They also rent snorkle gear.

Because the transfers to shore are by tenders, the passengers who booked excursions were given priority, and could leave the ship sooner than the others. I think the tenders became available to the other passengers around 9 or 9:30 am.

If you are thinking of calling home, or would like to use the internet, you should try to do so in either Cozumel or Ocho Rios, as the calling facilities on Grand Caymen appeared to be rather expensive.

Have fun!

Linda

Thanks Linda,

How do the days on port work?...Do they give us a time to be back at the ship and how long do they wait.

And on the respective ports what do you recommend we take with us when we leave...water etc..?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

The ship usually docks before 8 am, and passengers are cleared to disembark shortly thereafter. We only had half a day in Key West; we had to be back on board by 12;30, and we sailed for Cozumel at 1 pm. At the other ports of call, we had until late afternoon 6 pm (Cozumel & Grand Cayman) or 5 pm (Ocho Rios). Since most excursions only last a few hours, you will have plenty of time for shopping or sightseeing on your own before going back on board. You can also re-board the ship for lunch, or to shower after a morning at the beach, then head back out for the afternoon.

We never left the ship without a towel and bathing suit. You will be provided with Costa beach towels to take with you, if you don't have your own. However, you will be charged $20.00 if you lose or misplace their towel. We preferred to use our own (cheaper) ones. And don't forget your camera and sunscreen. :)

We didn't bring any water or other beverages from the ship; we would just try to find a shop in port to buy sodas and other sundries.

Enjoy!

Linda

In Grand Caymen try the stingray swim. I reccommend it to all my clients. I always tell them to check out http://www.nativewaysports.com the boat is smaller and more personable. For $25. Pp they take you from the pier to the boat out to a beautiful reef to snorkle then onto the stingray sandbar. If you have never done it, you MUST! Its awesome. I have never had a client come back and say they were disapointed. Be aware that GC is the most detoured port of call, if the waters or tides are rough they will not anchor and tender, you will miss this glorious port of call. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reply. My email is in my signature, if you liked to talk personally to me regarding your cruise!

We just returned from the Jan 30 Atlantica sailing and on Grand Cayman we did the Soto Stingray Tour. Only about 10-12 people on the boat, lots of personal attention. The trip stops once at Coral Gardens to snorkel and then to StingRay City. I have done this trip twice--once with the cruilse line and 50+ people and this time with Sotos. No comparison! And only $30 per person. They pick you up just a short walk from the pier and transfer you to thier boat docks and a way you go. They usually run two trips per day morning and early afternoon so there is no problem with returning to the ship on time. All equipment, instructions, and beverages included. I highly recommend it. You must sign up in advance on their website. They do not solicit at the pier.

Archived