Wildlife Conservation Center vs. Alaska Zoo

bluetiger9192

We did not do the Alaska Zoo. We did do the Wildlife Conservation Center. I thought it was more natural of a setting and they had a variety of animals that you could photograph close up. Still, it was an hour visit at the absolute longest, for us at least. By the time we reached the center, we had already seen lots of those animals in the wild during our vacation anyway.

Actually the zoo is quite natural when it can be (can't be having polar bears roam around too much :D) and you're right you'll have much diversity at the zoo.

I'm a zoo parent so I lean towards the zoo but have been to the Wildlife Conservation area and if you are headed down Turnagain Arm then it's worth the visit.

Both places have rehabiliation and educational programs that I strongly support.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We went to the Wildlife Conservation Center last Summer and really enjoyed it. We took our time and spent a couple hours there, but definitely not an all day activity. Much more natural setting than a zoo and only Alaska native animals. If you don't have a lot of time for other wildlife viewing trips then it is definitely worth a visit. We though about the zoo, but ran out of time. Figured we could do that back home anyway.

I recently called the zoo and they said they don't have polar bears anymore. Is that true? Thanks

Well I don't know who you spoke with but Aphun and Louis (he's on loan from Seaworld Australia) are still residing at the zoo.

I called and had a nice talk with a zoo employee about how the possible baby polar bear mission is going and currently they are working on figuring out how to give Aphun a maternity den, so things are on hold.

We went to the Wildlife Conservation Center last Summer and really enjoyed it. We took our time and spent a couple hours there, but definitely not an all day activity. Much more natural setting than a zoo and only Alaska native animals. If you don't have a lot of time for other wildlife viewing trips then it is definitely worth a visit. We though about the zoo, but ran out of time. Figured we could do that back home anyway.

Our zoo isn't like the Lower 48 zoos.

The zoo is alot of animals that have been hurt and can't be left in the wild, may of been rescued and will be there a short time before they go back into the wild or to other facilities.

The other thing is that it participates in several breeding programs - Snow Leopard, polar bear (though that is currently on hold).

They run all kinds of educational programs too.

Susan in Anchorage (currently a proud zoo parent of the Lynxs) :)

Thanks, Susan, for sharing info.

I searched for the Zoo site and located the polar bear cam.

http://alaskazoo.org/polarcamera.htm

It's been fun to watch them on and off for the rest of the evening. Looks like nap time right now!

Definitely looks like someone has had dinner and is now snoozing. Can't tell if it's Aphun or Louis. If I could see the color a little better I would know. One some reason Louis has more of a yellow tint to his coat then Aphun.

Can you tell me if this a walk through or a drive through.I was thinking it was like a zoo,but read something that made me think maybe it was a drive through thing . This one of on one of my my excursions.

You can actually do either. The animal compounds are spread out more than at a zoo and if anyone has a mobility issue then I would drive it.

I did this as a conference event a couple of years ago and we were on buses and it was raining. So we stayed on the buses but stopped at each compound so those that wanted to get out and take pictures could.

Guess a lot would depend on the weather and the condition of the ground (muddy or not)

Archived