Carnival Cruise Shore Excursions

garyw2165

We are sailing on the Carnival Elation on August 9 out of Mobile Al ., This is our first Carnival cruise , we are starting to think about our shore excursions for this cruise but when I look at the list of available excursions for our day in Calica they are showing only 12 different options , when we look at Cozumel there are around 25 choices , does carnival usually add more choices closer to the sailing date or are we going to be stuck with the 12 crappy choices for Calica ??

Does anyone have any insites or advise ?

I can't tell you whether or not they will add or drop any before you cruise. Cozumel is a more highly developed tourist destination. That is why there is more to do there. It's hard to believe that all the excursions at Calica are 'crappy'.

What I mean is before you book the cruise there is somewhere around 25 -30 different excursions for Calica , like trips to Tulum and multiple beach type excursions , once you book the cruise at least half of the options disappear , seems like you get lead on until you book , then you get to see what you can really do .

What I mean is before you book the cruise there is somewhere around 25 -30 different excursions for Calica , like trips to Tulum and multiple beach type excursions , once you book the cruise at least half of the options disappear , seems like you get lead on until you book , then you get to see what you can really do .

Options disappear once your cruise is booked because they may not be available on the specific DAY you are in port, they may be sold out already, or they may not correspond with the times you are in port. Companies aren't open 24/7 in the Caribbean like they are in the US, and they're not open on holidays. Our first cruise was over a national holiday to one of the places we visited and virtually NOTHING was open or anyone was working.

We are sailing on the Carnival Elation on August 9 out of Mobile Al ., This is our first Carnival cruise , we are starting to think about our shore excursions for this cruise but when I look at the list of available excursions for our day in Calica they are showing only 12 different options , when we look at Cozumel there are around 25 choices , does carnival usually add more choices closer to the sailing date or are we going to be stuck with the 12 crappy choices for Calica ??

Does anyone have any insites or advise ?

Calica is where the ship docks and is an industrial area. From the pier you can north to Xcaret, Playa del Carmen or Cancun, or south to Tulum.

I would highly recommend Xcaret. It is a beautiful eco-park.

Tulum, for a little Mayan history is a neat place as well.

If you want to go to a beach, you don't have to take a Carnival offered excursion, but could take a taxi to Playa del Carmen, just a few minutes away from the pier. There's also lots of shopping and restaurants.

Archived