Sitka/wildlife tour

oh2gocruisin

I have been in contact with two tour operators to get details about their wildlife tours. One offers a 2 hr. (Gallant) and the other is 3 hr. (Ester G) As expected, both say say about the same thing as far as the wildlife and scenery we will see. So, here's my question. If both tours are so similar, why the difference in the amount of time, is it just the pace at which they travel, or are there areas farther away that the 3 hr. tour goes, but not the 2 hr. There's only $25/pp difference in the cost so that's not an issue. I've read many positive reviews here about a 4 hr. tour that's also offered, but we're not inclined to spend that amount of our time in Sitka on the water. The 2 or 3 hr. time frame is a better fit for us. Can anyone give me some insight and/or comparison? Thanks.

Kathy

As usual Yukon Great Job.Nice to see a picture of you and your beautiful wife.We will be going out with Captain Davey on a 4 hour excursion,with 4 other fellow CC'ers.So looking forward to our fabulous 14 Night cruise on Amsterdam.

Thanks again

Five of us spent a great three hours with Capt. Davey on June 1 last year. It was in the 70's and sunny, and we even saw a gray whale along with the seals, sea otters, and birds. The puffins were adorable and there were plenty of sea otters with babies on their bellies. They were afraid of Davey's boat so we couldn't get good pictures because they'd go underwater. He explained that the native Alaskans are still allowed to hunt sea otters and they use small boats like Davey's so they submerge when they see one. That's why you can get very close to them when you're on a large boat or ship. It was a great time and Davey is a great tourguide.

Why don't you email or call them directly with your question? You could simply ask them both what each tour entails:).

I did, if you read the first few words of my post -- I have been in contact with...

Thanks for the helpful responses with descriptions of the tours. BQ, I understand that time equals more, I simply wanted to be sure it would be more quality time.:) Yukon, your photos are wonderful, thank you for posting the link. Even though yours was a full day adventure, they really give me a good idea of what to expect. Given everyone's advice, sounds like Capt. Davey's tour comes out on top. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond.

Kathy

I did, if you read the first few words of my post -- I have been in contact with...

Thanks for the helpful responses with descriptions of the tours. BQ, I understand that time equals more, I simply wanted to be sure it would be more quality time.:) Yukon, your photos are wonderful, thank you for posting the link. Even though yours was a full day adventure, they really give me a good idea of what to expect. Given everyone's advice, sounds like Capt. Davey's tour comes out on top. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond.

Kathy

Yes, it certainly is QUALITY. :)

Good question...We went out with Gallant Adventures 2 years ago and we had so much fun! Capt. Pauli told us it was a 2hr tour but we ended up staying out for over 3hrs. This is something I've noticed with independent operators, they usually stay out longer than they say. The Capt. is an Alaskan field geologist which was facinating since Sitka is located on a plate boundary. I was very interested to hear how the volcano that we were looking up at from the water was created and the secret behind St. Lazaria Island. When we approached the sea cave at Lazaria, it had a special feeling being that I now had an understanding about what we were really about to experience. Anyway, I hope my experience helps with your decission.

We also went out with Paul and Gallant Adventures. I can highly offer my recommendation. He's an upbeat personable guy and we saw bears, sea otters (one with a pup on its belly!), puffins, grey and humpback whales, a sea lion some seals, an eagle in its nest and watched a few of Pauls surfing buddies catch waves at a secret surf spot. One of the guys, who happens to fly the Coast Guard helicopter paddled over to us to say hello! It was an action packed tour and I think we stayed out for way over 2 hrs. Good luck, you're going to enjoy yourself no matter what you do!

• 1 month later...

I was out with Paul Davis from Gallant Adventures on May 5. It was an OUTSTANDING tour. We booked the two hour tour with him and ended up being out almost 5 hours (we agreed to the longer time happily). Paul is a great guide--very friendly, knowledgeable, and always making sure everyone is taken care of and having fun. We saw a bunch of gray whales (got close enough to get some spray from one), otters, puffins, eagles, and beautiful sea stars and other sea life. Paul knows all the best spots to see the different wildlife. His boat was small enough to get in close to the wildlife, but also comfortable and large enough for everyone to get in close for pictures. I highly recommend him.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise and yes we had a blast. Dreading work tomorrow, but that's reality! Our two favorite excursions were wildlife boat tour with Gallant Adventures in Sitka (our second time doing this!) and misty fjords flight with MFA out of Ketchikan. The two really complimented each other nicely as far as perspective. We are already thinking of our next trip!

6 of us did The 4 hour wildlife tour with Captain Davey.Well worth the money.It is a very small boat,so if you get seasick make sure you take precautions,as I did.The wildlife we saw outwayed the coldness and rocking.Especially when the boat is stopped or idling.He is a great source of information and quite entertaining.It is a wildlife tour so there are no guarantees of what you will see.We saw seals and otters doing very unusual things.Also saw a gray whale an added treat.Lots of birds,Puffins,Eagles Falcons and Oyster birds.Ts Lazaria Island was awsome.

• 1 year later...

Archived