Bioluminescence private excursion

samscruiser

• 5 weeks later...

I have been researching this because we are staying a few nights in Fajardo, Puerto Rica before our cruise. There are actually a couple of bio bays in PR. One is in Las Croabas Lagoon near Fajardo, and is probably the easiest to do with a limited amount of time. The best is at the island of Vieques right off the coast of PR. It is not easy to do this tour unless you spend the night on the island of Vieques. There is only one tour that does this from Fajardo (east coast of PR) that I can find and that is East Wind Excursions which takes a catamaran out on SOME nights at around 4:15 and returns to PR at 10:15pm. You would have to get transportation to Fajardo which is between one - one and a half hours from the port or airport in San Juan. Do some searches on the web. Also, Trip Advisor has some good reports on this. It is suppose to be great!

We went to the Bio Bay in Vieques last August. We stayed in San Juan a few nights prior to our cruise. The excursion company recommended a driver who picked us up at 3:30 from our hotel and we were back at our hotel by 11pm. This was the only tour company that doesn't require an overnight stay in Vieques. Let me tell you that it was worth every penny we spent on this excursion. It was amazing and I'll never forget the experience. I would recommend going to a website that tells you when the moon is best for this excursion though. We went on an almost moonless night and it was perfect. But I hear that if the moon is out, it's not worth the trip.

My wife and I will be on the DESTINY sailing on the 8th. I booked a couple of extra days so that we can stay on Vieques in part to do the bio-thing. Prior to determining which end of our cruise to set that up for, I checked a web site that gave a 'moon chart.' The BEST days are May 5-9; you can go 14 days later to get the days that WOULDN"T work...

Martin

Hi samscruiser,

I actually saved all the info on my PalmPilot so I had it right here.

The excursion company that we used (and doesn't require an overnight stay) is East Island Excursions 877-937-4386. I know they have a website too but I don't know it off the top of my head.

And the driver they recommended was a guy named Hector 787-449-2267. I think he charged us $20/pp for round trip transportation.

Like I said. It was worth every penny we spent for this excursion.

• 3 weeks later...

When in July are you going to be in San Juan, Puerto Rico? My fiance and I are going to be there on July 3rd. We are going on our excursion with Yakahu Kayaks. Luis Mendez with Yokahu Kayaks Offer the tour for $35 not including the transportation. He told me that he would be able to arrange the transportation for about $35 per person (Round trip to Fajardo from the port in San Juan). His email address is yokahukayaks@hotmail.com and his phone number is (787)604-7375. Luis was so nice when I called him to get more info. Although it sounds like calling Hector for transportation to Fajardo would be cheaper. Another company I've found was Kayak Rental for $75 per person including transportation. Their email is kyakrent@coqui.net.

i just looked up the phases of the moon and here are the results:

Full moon - April 24, May 23, June 22, July 21, August 19, September 18, October 17, November 16, December 15

I guess that these are the times to NOT do the bio bay.

The chart shows that the following are the New moon:

April 8

May 8

June 6

July 6

August 5

Sept 3

October 3

November 2

December 1 and 31.

Since I will be in San Juan on June 14, that is the day before the first quarter, so i guess it will work out for us!

I will be there on jan. 13-15th of 2006 so I can not go unless I get bumped off in the end. go to www.imagiware.com/astro/moon.cgi or do a moon phase search on the engine

Here is a link from the biobay in Vieques for best viewing times. It doesn't go out far enough for some of you, but it gives a good idea of how far around certain times of the month will work for you.

http://www.biobay.com/cd/webhtml/moonwatch.htm

Archived