reservations in Lido for dinner

granny red

Do you need to make a reservation to eat dinner ih the Lido carvery.?

Kings Court in the evening transforms into four restaurants: an Asian restaurant, an Italian trattoria, the Carvery, and the Chef's Galley. Make a reservation early because space fills up quickly.

Kings Court in the evening transforms into four restaurants: an Asian restaurant, an Italian trattoria, the Carvery, and the Chef's Galley. Make a reservation early because space fills up quickly.

I assume it has all changed since 1995 then. Friends of ours ate in the QM2 Kings Court on several occasions without reservations.

I assume it has all changed since 1995 then. Friends of ours ate in the QM2 Kings Court on several occasions without reservations.

Last year on QM2 if you wanted to eat at the speciality restaurants unless they had the "buffet" you were advised to make reservations. We booked for Lotus the same day we wanted to eat there. It was excellent.

As I understand it, three of the four restaurants/sections of King's Court require reservations for the evening meal. One, Chef's Gallery, is a small exhibition area where the meal is prepared in front of guests, and always requires reservations. Of the remaining restaurants (Carvery, La Piazza, Lotus), two will require reservations while the third will be set up as a buffet and will NOT require reservations. These three will rotate as a buffet during the crossing (i.e., Carvery one night, Lotus the next, etc.)

For the Kings Court reservations-required venues, the dress code of the evening prevails. However, elegant casual (or whatever it's called) is always acceptable in the buffet area.

The Daily Programme will designate which is which so you can make plans accordingly.

I hope this helps. I'm sure someone'll be along to make corrections if I have anything wrong. Like you, I'm looking forward to eating at the Carvery. Sounds like my kind of place!

That is, if I don't chicken out on the whole shebang, based on the ash cloud from Iceland (I'm flying from the US to England via Reykjavik on Icelandair--yikes!)

Apologies for my last post. I meant 2005 not 1995-(senior moment!)

Quite like the thought of sampling the Carvery as we are basically meat & veg eaters. Not so keen on oriental food. Will we be able to make reservations the same day, and is it first come first served.?

Buckirj1, Good luck, hope all goes well for you.!!

Quite like the thought of sampling the Carvery as we are basically meat & veg eaters. Not so keen on oriental food. Will we be able to make reservations the same day, and is it first come first served.?

Same as me! I don't know how the reservations work (not sailing until November), but I've read people make reservations the same day or just show up, and are graciously welcomed. I don't know each venue's capacity, through I believe the Chef's Galley is very small. I would guess reservations are first come first serve.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I like to panic way ahead of time:eek:

It you are meaning the King's Court on the QM2 (the Lido is on the QV), then some nights the carvery will be a la carte and some evenings it will be buffet. A la Carte is 7.00pm until 9.00pm and should be booked early in the morning.

Reservations are often not available on the same day, especially for the Chef's Kitchen, so it's a good idea to try to book in advance!

As I understand it, three of the four restaurants/sections of King's Court require reservations for the evening meal. One, Chef's Gallery, is a small exhibition area where the meal is prepared in front of guests, and always requires reservations. Of the remaining restaurants (Carvery, La Piazza, Lotus), two will require reservations while the third will be set up as a buffet and will NOT require reservations. These three will rotate as a buffet during the crossing (i.e., Carvery one night, Lotus the next, etc.)

The Daily Programme will designate which is which so you can make plans accordingly.

That is, if I don't chicken out on the whole shebang, based on the ash cloud from Iceland (I'm flying from the US to England via Reykjavik on Icelandair--yikes!)

That is a very good explanation of how the King's Court works in the evening. If you choose to eat in the buffet for that evening (it will change from Carvery, to Lotus, to La Piazza), you do not need a reservation. If you want to eat at one of the restaurants that is not the buffet for that day, you need a reservation. I believe the reservations close at 5 PM.

Safarigal, is correct about Chef's Galley. It is often very difficult to get a reservation there. On our last voyage on QM2, I made a reservation on embarkation day for later in the trip. Our friends called the next day and were told all the reservations were taken for the rest of the voyage. If you go to the King's Court on the day you embark, you will find a list of what type of food will be featured in the Chef's Galley each night. You must then call to make your reservation.

So to answer the OP's question, if the Carvery is the buffet for the night, you don't need a reservation. If one of the other King's Court restaurants is the buffet for the night, you need a reservation to eat at the Carvery.

Buckirj1, I hope that the ash from Iceland will not be a problem for you!

Beth

The Lido on the QV isn't split into 4 sections as in the Kings Court on the QM2.

I've only done a 4 night cruise on the QV and on looking at the daily programmes, it was buffet every night. There was no A la Carte.

The programmes give:

Welcome aboard dinner buffet: 6.00pm to 11.00pm

Italian Trattoria Pizzeria Buffet: 6.00pm to 9.30pm

Italian Dinner Buffet: 6.00pm to 11.00pm

French dinner Buffet: 6.00pm to 11.00pm

English Pub Fare Buffet: 6.00pm to 11.00pm

No mention of reservations.

It may be different on a longer cruise though?

Thanks to all for replies. We are cruising on QV so it is the Lido I was referring to.

I'm sorry, Granny. I completely misunderstood about sailing on the QV. Apologies to you and everyone else for leading you astray:o

...slinking off to the corner...

I'm sorry, Granny. I completely misunderstood about sailing on the QV. Apologies to you and everyone else for leading you astray:o

...slinking off to the corner...

We were all confused! I think the reference to "The Carvery" was what made us think granny red was sailing on the QM2.

Granny red, hope you have a marvelous sailing on the QV. Let us know about the lido on that ship when you return.

Beth

Archived