Tell me all about RCCL and Radiance of the Sea

selma

Well, the title already says a lot. I'ld like to know all about others experiences with RCCL and the Radiance of the Sea in relations to accessibility with a wheelchair.

We're planning a family trip to Australia, and would like to do a cruise while down there. Lo and behold, RCCL does 2 routes we've been looking for in the exact month we're planning on going back to Ozzie. Sounds good! Bu at always I want to do my homework. Accessibility is important to me, as a fulltime wheelchairuser (power and manual). We'll probably end up getting a stateroom for myself, one for my parents and one for my brother and his girlfriend, so it would be only me in the accessible stateroom.

How did you experience RCCL and the Radiance of the Sea while using a mobility aids? Any do's and don'ts?

I am a full time manuel wheelchair user. I have been on the Radiance 3 times, the most recent last November.

We have had Balcony cabins and JS. The rooms are plenty big for two or three people so one would be fine even with two wheelchairs. There is an auto door which opens when you insert your key so you do not have to push the door. There is a button on the inside of the cabin door to open the exterior door. It is hard to open the balcony door from the ramp and I would have a family member assist you or your cabin steward. The bathroom has a raised toilet with bars. The shower has a large bench, not those small ones on most of RCCL ships. The sink is a roll under.

The ship is easy to get around with plenty of accessible public toilets.

Hope this helps

In addition to last post, we have been on the Radiance twice, the last to Mexico for 11 days. We also had a balcony cabin that had push button doors. (key card). The ship is great and the only place my daughter could not get to was the helipad. All public restrooms were joined by a separate HC with auto doors. We did tender twice and the crew was just great. There is a lift on one side of the platform. My daughter used her manual for the dining room. Large tables had knee blockage at both ends, but were ok in the middle. Get to the shows early as ABs will fill the HC area without regard. Over all, the Radiance is IMHO first class in accessibility.:)

We have cruised on Radiance and her three sister ships (Serenade, Jewel and Brilliance) in both balcony and Junior Suite accessible cabins; we have found them to be just the most accessible ships we have been on. One suggestion is that when you make your dining room reservations, you inform them you will be using a wheelchair or power chair and that you need a small table somewhere close to the dining room entrance and near and aisle. Reason - large tables are more difficult to accomodate mobility devices without crowding others, and, even though window tables are desirable they are very difficult to access with a chair when other passengers already have their chairs pulled out to sit. The one time we did end up with a window table, we immediately asked the Maitre 'd to move us. The same logic applies to not getting too deep into the dining room - you have more tables and chairs to access to get to and from your table:)

OK, you guys have just made me even more excited. If that's possible. ;) Have been doing some reading up on here since posting and also found other postings basically saying what you guys are saying; ROTS is a very accessible ship. Especially reading about the tender lift made my day.

Now only to -impatiently- wait for the info package to arrive. Parents don't like the RCCL website too much, english is not their native tongue and eventhough they can carry on a conversation and read it, that combo and having info all over the website doesn't make it the easiest for them to navigate. I've checked out some of the brochures online already and know those will help them out a lot. Not to mention watching a DVD. I'm counting on that giving them the last push -as if my dad needs any push for anything that involves ships-. It's very likely we'll be booking very soon. Hopefully I can check out ROTS next year myself. :D

OK, you guys have just made me even more excited. If that's possible. ;) Have been doing some reading up on here since posting and also found other postings basically saying what you guys are saying; ROTS is a very accessible ship. Especially reading about the tender lift made my day.

Now only to -impatiently- wait for the info package to arrive. Parents don't like the RCCL website too much, english is not their native tongue and eventhough they can carry on a conversation and read it, that combo and having info all over the website doesn't make it the easiest for them to navigate. I've checked out some of the brochures online already and know those will help them out a lot. Not to mention watching a DVD. I'm counting on that giving them the last push -as if my dad needs any push for anything that involves ships-. It's very likely we'll be booking very soon. Hopefully I can check out ROTS next year myself. :D

By the way....any specific questions you may have, other than what was here, about the Radiance, let me know....I am on Her May 3rd:D

By the way....any specific questions you may have, other than what was here, about the Radiance, let me know....I am on Her May 3rd:D

Oh wow, that is in like 10 days from now. You must be getting very excited by now! You're doing a mexican riviera I guess?

I'm one of those nutcases that is curious about any detail somebody notices. Details are only noticed if they are 'out of the ordinary', either in a good way or a lesser way. I tend to run around solo most of the time, so if there are any things that you notice in the + or - when it comes around running around the ship solo, I would love to hear about it.

And of course also would love to hear about the cruise itself! :)

Oh wow, that is in like 10 days from now. You must be getting very excited by now! You're doing a mexican riviera I guess?

I'm one of those nutcases that is curious about any detail somebody notices. Details are only noticed if they are 'out of the ordinary', either in a good way or a lesser way. I tend to run around solo most of the time, so if there are any things that you notice in the + or - when it comes around running around the ship solo, I would love to hear about it.

I would be delighted to make an effort to notice those details as I am on this one solo. I already intended to do a lot of wandering as this is the last I will see of the Radiance. She was becoming my favorite as I never felt crowded with a full ship as with others. She is designed very well.

Yes I am getting anxious....I love the feeling of flying into San Diego, looking out the left side and thinking..."There's my ride!":D

BTW...this is only a 5 day...so check back here the weekend of 8-9 May

A solo cruise, how great fun! I love solo trips, getting all 'me-time'. I can imagine getting anxious, nothing beats the feeling of cruising. Good luck counting down those last days. :)

A solo cruise, how great fun! I love solo trips, getting all 'me-time'. I can imagine getting anxious, nothing beats the feeling of cruising. Good luck counting down those last days. :)

Thankyou...I too truly enjoy solo sometimes....hate doing things by committee...;)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh wow, that is in like 10 days from now. You must be getting very excited by now! You're doing a Mexican Riviera I guess?

We will miss this ship...just back from a fair well Mexican Rivera 5 day cruise. It was sold out but this ship is so well designed, it never seemed crowded. Once again I noticed that where-ever you went you could see the ocean. My favorite being the Windjammer buffet where there is outside seating overlooking the aft. It is covered for sun shade and just a great place for lunch. The Schooner bar is a great place to relax in comfort and look out very large windows. Just behind that are the pool tables that are self leveling. On sea days, there is music where ever you go and you still can find quiet places! There is miniature and simulated golf. All of my cruises have been met with great shows and at least one of them 4 star. This was no exception with the dancers from Argentina.

The last five days were not enough...simply not enough.;)

I have to agree with everyone else. We just got back on the 3rd of May, and I was reminded once again why I love this class of ship so much. There was no port the crew could not get you off the ship at even though when I saw the Ixtapa port I was wondering. But with a blink of the eye, I was off and exploring that wonderful town.:D

This thread has been educational. Thanks you guys! I didn't know the Radiance had a tender lift before selma, so thanks for mentioning that.

I was wondering if any of you know, do all of Royal Caribbean's Radiance class ships have tender lifts or is that feature unique to the Radiance ship only?

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at doing a Hawaii cruise on either Rhapsody or Radiance. I have cruised on Granduer and Enchanment so I am a bit familiar with Rhapsody unless they have change there tendering platforms. Unfortunately we haven't cruise in a few years and the postings I have been reading alot of people say if you can't walk a few steps you might not be able to tender. I never have had a problem with this in any caribbean or alaskan port before but realize time change. Would this be the case on either of these Rhapsody/Radiance ships? My wife can stand and maybe walk a step( She has MS) but not a ladder. I would hate not being able to get her off 2 out of 4 ports. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been reading alot of people say if you can't walk a few steps you might not be able to tender. I never have had a problem with this in any caribbean or alaskan port before but realize time change. Would this be the case on either of these Rhapsody/Radiance ships?

Radiance has a wheelchair lift down to its tender. They can be reluctant to use it (!), but it works beautifully.

There is some mention of this on: http://www.lessthangreat.com/rccl_2009-12/

We have never been refused tendering on Royal Caribbean except when the weather was bad and they didn't run the tenders at all. We did a ten day on the Radiance a couple of months ago and had no problem tendering or using the lift to the tender. I think if you are in a wheelchair, they automatically use the lift, but if you are on a cane or something, they don't like to use it but want you to use the steps. This is based on what we saw from our cruise. They even lifted small scooters on the tender too, although those people had to get off the scooter before it was brought onboard the tender. However, everyone in a manual wheelchair was lifted on the tender while seated in their wheelchair.

I believe it is only Princess that has the prohibition against tendering you if you can't walk a few steps--a policy change from a couple of years ago and one that we find very disappointing.

Archived