Tipping in St Petersburg

And, also, our driver Valentin was extremely impressed with my arm and my aim. I stood back about 20 feet and managed to hit him right in the forehead with his tip money, wadded up into a ball. The reason I gave him such a big tip was to get that nice sized wad that had the right heft to throw. He said, "Gee, Thanks, Mister, are you a professional baseball player? I like American baseball!" Now that's real appreciation!

I just have to say I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

the confusion over tipping probably comes with the way we are taxed.I believe in the states the service industry relies on at least a 10% tip because you're taxed based on that assumption.So if you don't get a tip then you lose out financially.That's not the case over here.

If you look at most restaurant menus the small print at the bottom states service is included.If you feel the service was better than average then tips are appreciated but they are a perk rather than an expectation.10% is a good tip.

there are some occasions where tips are expected-if you want a receipt for a taxi or help with your luggage then tip.If you're on a guided tour then there will usually be a collection box when you're leaving the coach to be shared between driver and guide-again 10% is a good tip

I think these "rules" might only apply to US dollars. We paid about 10% to our guide and about 5% to our driver and just made sure to request new US currency from our bank to take with us for this exact thing. Our tour agency, Anastasia Tours, allowed us to pay in US currency, euros or put on credit card (with handling fee). Pretty easy.

I plan on paying for our private tour with a credit card as I do not wish to carry around that much cash. I am assuming though I would need cash for the tip. I read that only unfolded, new bills are acceptable. How did you manage that?

• 2 weeks later...

Do the guides want US dollars? We'll have Euros from our previous port of Helsinki, and of course can get rubles from an ATM. But if they prefer US dollars I need to know to take "newish" bills along and keep them looking good.

We just returned from sailing the Baltic. As to "new" bills. As our guide told us, "If it looks like money they take it. Doesn't matter what condition it is." Most merchants, tours do prefer newer, but will take what you have. We used TJ tours and they told us we would pay morning of 2nd day. That prevented us from carrying around cash. On second morning we were taken to a souvenir shop where tour owner met us and collected payment. None of our stops in St. Petersburg required us to use a pin for CC purchases. Our CC company told us to try to avoid usage of pin.

It was also explained that tipping is usually 10% for guide and 5% for driver. Our guide and driver were above and beyond excellent so we did exceed the guidelines.

Linda

.I believe in the states the service industry relies on at least a 10% tip because you're taxed based on that assumption. So if you don't get a tip then you lose out financially.That's not the case over here.

Points well taken. In fact, in the US tips at a restaurant go from 15 to 20%. People who provide that kind of service are required to report the amount of tips to the US tax office (if I am not mistaken, the IRS determines that on the basis of their earned income', etc.). Likewise, they are also paid a minimum wage by their employer, most of the time.

So, to tip in the rest of the world is as you mentioned, 10% sometimes, a bit more or less depending on the situation.

• 5 months later...
By getting a pin, did you have to pay cash advance charges for the credit card? I know we get a pin with our cards, but it is only for cash advances, so, I'm wondering if this is a different pin. I would hate to pay cash advance fees for lunch and things like that. However, we do hope to make some nice purchases in St. Petersburg.

Our new credit cards have chips and require pins if the hand held terminal at the cash register accepts it. It replaces signing the slip. It is similar to using a pin on a debit card that has a chip. When you use the pin with the credit card, it is like signing the receipt, not a cash advance.

For carrying the bills and keeping them "crisp" consider a money belt. A single lengthwise fold is all that is needed and it looks like an ordinary leather belt. No problem with those bills but a $20 bill I had folded into quarters was rejected at a shop at the St Petersburg port. By the way, we tipped 10% and the guide split it with the driver.

In the Fort Lauderdale airport, I had a moneybelt with bills. Going through the security, I was pulled aside, had to go in a small office and show what it was and they asked what was in it. I said money. Of course that was what it was but they had to check for themselves. If you are going to Europe, you will be flying and the moneybelt while get their attention. Oh, I didn't have that many bills in it then.

On another occasion in the summer in Europe I wore a money belt and it was warm, yes, northern Europe, and some of the money near the skin in the money belt got wet. It were 100 euro bills and they had to be dried out in the cabin and then they were no longer very smooth.

Archived