Gift for Stewards

CruiseShelly

Try giving the kids a unique gift and cash, then see which one they remember you for on your next trip with them. Cash is nice, but they remember the personalized gifts.

The kids?

I've never run into the same crew a second time sailing the same ship a number of times in a row....only when I did B2B's. They might remember the personalized gift but I'd bet they still like the cash better.:D

Try giving the kids a unique gift and cash, then see which one they remember you for on your next trip with them. Cash is nice, but they remember the personalized gifts.

So the reason for wanting to give the gift is more about your own need and desire to be remembered than about giving the crew member something in return for all the work they did?

So the reason for wanting to give the gift is more about your own need and desire to be remembered than about giving the crew member something in return for all the work they did?

Yeah. It's apparently much more important to be ~special~ than it is to give the crew something they use, need, AND want :rolleyes:

They might remember you for the personalized gift, but not in the way you're thinking...

I love how people get slammed for trying to do something nice. Only on cruise critic.:rolleyes:

It's not slamming. When someone is repeatedly told that the crew's quarters are tiny and that what they would appreciate most is cash, and that person still insists on coming up with something unique, it speaks to arrogance on that person's part, not concern or gratitude for the crew.

I mean, seriously... candy with YOUR FACE on it???

It's not slamming. When someone is repeatedly told that the crew's quarters are tiny and that what they would appreciate most is cash, and that person still insists on coming up with something unique, it speaks to arrogance on that person's part, not concern or gratitude for the crew.

Exactly who is this person you are referring to above?

The OP has only posted twice on this thread and did not "insist" on giving something unique in either post. Seems to me you just like to repeat the same point over and over again.

The kids?

I've never run into the same crew a second time sailing the same ship a number of times in a row....only when I did B2B's. They might remember the personalized gift but I'd bet they still like the cash better.:D

It is probably different for you than for us. After more than 30 cruises on the Star, these "kids" are more like family than servants, and we get to know them pretty well. Their likes and dislikes are much like ours. I don't like to recieve money as gifts. I prefer the genuine smiles and hugs from them, even though some have presented us with gifts from their home country, or things they have handmade. You can't buy that !!!!

I don't consider myself arrogant or selfish. These people are our friends.

I think this is a lovely idea. I like consumable gifts. Something I like to do in Disney World is to make little "Thank you" tags and attach them to candies that I can hand out (individually wrapped LifeSavers are popular). You could make Christmas/holiday tags if you wanted. Stickers are also nice. Just something small that is enjoyed then disposed of.

As for doughnuts, 2 words: Krispy Kreme!

Okay, enough, people! I posted the original question. And it appears only a few of you "got" the meaning of the post.

IT WILL BE CHRISTMAS DAY WHEN I BOARD!!!

The gift was NOT to replace the monetary tips they receive at the end of the cruise. The gift was to say "Merry Christmas" "I'm glad to be aboard with you" "Thanks for working on my Holiday -- I appreciate it".

Enough already with the blasting each other.

Already, now there will be a quiz on the original question posed in the orginal post. Papers and pencils ready.......

Yes, yes but if you look at post #3, it was pointed out that there are numerous cultures and religions among the crew.;) You can do all those things without specifically mentioning Christmas. I don't think anyone thought your gift would be in place of a tip. An even better extra gift is to fill out a comment card with the crew members name. Those positive comments get the crew extras and even possibly promotions which, in the long run, last much longer than candy or whatever anyone wants to give.

Some topics are always contentious.;) Also remember when you ask what other people have given, you have to be prepared to listen to those who think it is not a good idea and the reasons why.

Archived