Gift for Stewards

CruiseShelly

I know we're covered for tips in the automatic daily charge they put on our credit card, but we are embarking on Christmas Day in NYC on the Gem and I thought it would be nice to have a little something to give the stewards when we meet them. Suggestions from past cruisers who have given the stewards something other than cash?

I know we're covered for tips in the automatic daily charge they put on our credit card, but we are embarking on Christmas Day in NYC on the Gem and I thought it would be nice to have a little something to give the stewards when we meet them. Suggestions from past cruisers who have given the stewards something other than cash?

A nice little card with cash in it. That's all they want. They'll pretend to like the other stuff you give them, but they want cash.

Viv

This question comes up every so often and the bottom line is cash is king and gifts are just plain problematic. They really don't have room to keep gifts from people no matter how well meaning. And too many people try to give gifts, telephone cards, candies, etc. in place of tips as it is.

Also, no matter what your personal feelings on the subject are, remember that many of the crew are from different cultures and religions and don't necessarily celebrate the same holidays that you do. My own relatives don't even celebrate the same holidays as I do, and I respect that, as do they.

I agree, a nice thank you card with cash is the best gift.

I try to copy their towel animals with money. (I know - I am weirdly and easily entertained!) I love to see the smiles on their faces after they have discovered them - and I've gotten some great towel creatures.

On our last cruise, I took pictures of our room stewards along with my kids. The Photo Center on the ship developed them off my digital camera card for a very small fee. I wrote a short message on the back and purchased postage from the guest relations desk and made a postcard out of the photo for the stewards to send home to their families. We even, with only high school spanish, composed one post card message in his native language so his mom could read it. I wanted their families to know how much we appreciated them. I hope that they will add their home addresses to the cards and send them on.

Most crew share a "over/under" cabin - (the bunk bed option) and many are smaller than the discounted guest over/unders. I've spent time in them - they are small and even smaller when you have to actually live in them (more possessions than one weeks worth of clothes). Remember that a lot of crew have kids and families at home ... they are working, and for many they are only working away from home because it is a better opportunity to earn money than at home. If you are already leaving gratuity, a small token is nice, but I would say unless it is something really unique or intended to put a smile on their face ... don't think too hard about it. Unique cash gifts are a nice choice - gold or silver dollars. My son's father was given an international calling card by a guest who he'd told about his son, etc. - somehow they thought he hadn't called us because he didn't have the money (he had meant he hadn't been off the ship in awhile!) Anyway, he appreciated it ... not many passengers care who serves their drinks, none the less care about their personal lives ...

Anyway, any gift you leave, if it is something touristy and silly, will likely get regifted ... so in a way, still worth it - might make a kid on the next sailing happy ...

You might be surprised at what the "kids" like. We have found some things that we take for them, and have their roommates asking for the presents. They also remember from trip to trip. One example is the battery operated color changing candles. I always take extra batteries with me to give them on subsequent trips.

Don't give unique cash - you'll just create problems for them when they have to go and change it. These people don't want trinkets, pictures of your family, cookies, etc. You're not in a competition to one-up the other passengers by giving the best gift ever. Save the unique gifts for Christmas and just give cash in a card :)

That's kind of interesting, any particular reason?

I agree, cash. Also, if any one that I currently exchange gifts with at the holidays...hintity-hint-hint...

OK, donuts with some cash.

I've never seen a donut on a ship. That's as good a reason as any.

I really do not understand wanting to give a gift to someone you do not really know. The candy bar is a cute idea, or how about ordering some of the m&m's that you can have specialized with pictures and words. You can have your picture on it and thank you on the other side.

I really do not understand wanting to give a gift to someone you do not really know. The candy bar is a cute idea, or how about ordering some of the m&m's that you can have specialized with pictures and words. You can have your picture on it and thank you on the other side.

Then why would you put your picture on something?:D

BTW, a 7 oz. bag of those personalized M&M's is $16.99 plus shipping.;)

Archived