Sea Glass Beach within walking distance from King's Wharf?

Kendallkat2

Hi, we are going to Bermuda on NCL's Dawn leaving Sunday May 2!!!! YIPEEEE!!!

Anyway, someone mentioned that there is a beach where there is Beach Glass at King's Wharf. Where is this beach and can we walk to it from our ship docked at King's Wharf? Could someone give me directions?

Last year while we were in Bermuda we got tons of Beach Glass at Alexandria Battery Beach near St George but if we could walk to a beach that would be great! We have no problem walking a few miles so that's no problem.

Thanks, Beth

Here are the directions to get to sea glass near the Dockyard posted by White Rabbit on 10/23/09:

There is a nice sea glass beach near the dockyards. It is about one quarter mile outside of the main gate, so if you are on the bus to Hamilton, you will want to get off soon after leaving the dockyards. Politely ask the bus driver to stop at the Military Cemetery. You will see a church, and directly across the road some apartments. Walk between the apartments to a path in back and then walk to your right about 100 feet or so. You will see a patio with embedded sea glass and a set of steps leading down to a small beach. It appears to be a private patio and beach, however I have been there and it seems everyone uses this entrance. You will find pleanty of sea glass, mostly green, brown and white. When you collect all you can carry, ascend the steps carefully, and wait at the pink pole (bus stop) for a return bus to the Dock Yards. Buses run about every 20 minutes. Stand close to the pole, but off of the road way and when you see a bus, hold up your hand, as buses often miss seeing people waiting at this stop as they round a curve. Good Luck and Happy sea glass hunting. Hopefully you purchased a bus pass, otherwise you will need exact bus coins.

The distance from the Dockyard is just about 1 mile which you could walk but I would suggest that you take the bus instead. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes to walk on, and the roads are very narrow. Take the bus, you can carry more sea glass that way.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

I am just back from Bermuda on the Dawn and want to reassure anybody who wants to try this that it was great! My dh and dfh though we were crazy to follow the directions above, but off we went and had no trouble at all. We met an older gentleman who actually made all of the sea glass/cement decorations that surround the steps to the beach and he told us this is a public beach and all are welcome to visit. We got some very nice pieces of glass. It was plentiful, if not rare, and we met other cruisers while there. Grammynelliebelle

what a great find... My cousin and I are going in August and LOVE sea glass. Thanks for the tip!

Don't forget to bring just a little bit of the pink sand. I washed all mine yesterday & put it in a pretty vase. My sand barely covers the bottom so it would be nice to have just a little more.

Snookymom can you find the pink sand at the Sea Glass Beach near the Dockyards?

Do you put some sand in the vase and then add the Sea Glass? That sounds BEAUTIFUL!!!

I will certainly be on the look out for some of this wonderful glass :)

Snookymom can you find the pink sand at the Sea Glass Beach near the Dockyards?

Do you put some sand in the vase and then add the Sea Glass? That sounds BEAUTIFUL!!!

I will certainly be on the look out for some of this wonderful glass :)

Yes the pale pink sand is right there where the sea glass is. I didn't think about just bringing a little bit home so all I have is what was on the glass & would have preferred a little more. The glass does look pretty in my vase. Not being a craft person it was the only thing I could figure out to do with it. We loved Bermuda & I hope we get back there one day.

I just recently attended a bridal show and someone gave the couple a lamb and filled the base of it with glass no sand. It was really beautiful with all the blues and greens. What a nice gift to recieve.

cookie1961 - This beach has a lot of amazing sea glass (just watch out for sharp edges as some of it may be brand new - some folks seem to treat that area as a dumpster) - but the sand wasn't as pink as south shore beaches.

The 4 of Us - Nope. Quite a lot of the glass is still sharp. You can, however, combine this visit with Snorkel Park or even Black Bay if you don't want to travel far.

Kendallkat2 - I barely got anything at Alexandria :( Did you go there right after low tide by chance?

My DS and I were in Bermuda this past week and went to this beach. It was SO easy to get to, and the sea glass was abundant! He loved searching for the pieces that he wanted.

We also met the gentleman that incorporated a lot of sea glass into benches, tables, etc. He was very nice and friendly.

One thing I will say, timing for catching a bus back can be tricky. We waited a little over a half an hour for a bus which can feel like forever with a five yr old.

But it is definitely something we would do again, we had a blast!

We went here, via the instructions above, this past Wednesday befoe we did Hartley's dive.

Neat little beach. I would love to know the backround to this. Obviously glass doesn't just wash up on THIS shore. How does it accumulate there???

This was the greatest beach. It was private, we were the only ones there and it was so much fun. I got a gallon ziplock full of clear, light blue, some pottery pieces, etc. Then to make it weight alot......filled it with pink sand. JUST LOVE IT>

Thank you so much, the directions were perfect. Fortunately I had a back pack so it was a little easier to carry around that much weight.

This was the greatest beach. It was private, we were the only ones there and it was so much fun. I got a gallon ziplock full of clear, light blue, some pottery pieces, etc. Then to make it weight alot......filled it with pink sand. JUST LOVE IT>

Thank you so much, the directions were perfect. Fortunately I had a back pack so it was a little easier to carry around that much weight.

It was an amazing beach. We were the only ones there also. Glad you got some pretty glass.

• 3 years later...
hi I see that you saw directions but I am unable to connect to that site. Can you help

If you look to post #2 on this thread you will find the directions. We were just talking about our Bermuda trip today & how beautiful it was.

I understand that the property with access to the beach has been sold and is now posted with signs that no glass is to be removed from the beach. :(

Edited by peg013

I understand that the property with access to the beach has been sold and is now posted with signs that no glass is to be removed from the beach. :(

Yes, Peg, I took this picture.

IMG_1948.jpg

A far as I know, sea glass can still be picked up at Alexandra Battery Park.

Yes, Peg, I took this picture.

IMG_1948.jpg

A far as I know, sea glass can still be picked up at Alexandra Battery Park.

Thanks iheart, I knew someone had posted the news. I'm trying to decide if we will have time to go to Alexandra Battery Park while we are in St Georges and snorkel at Tobacco Bay Beach. Three of our group have never been to Bermuda so they haven't seen anything there.

Thanks iheart, I knew someone had posted the news. I'm trying to decide if we will have time to go to Alexandra Battery Park while we are in St Georges and snorkel at Tobacco Bay Beach. Three of our group have never been to Bermuda so they haven't seen anything there.

We always try to get to TB as early as possible, before too many people churn up the water at times and make it hard to see. Seems most roll in around 11:00-12:00. We snorkel for awhile, dry off and change, then head out on Barry road and make the full loop back to St. George stopping at AB along the way. We were never under any time constraints so I can't say how long it took.