Box lunch

To add to the above comments ... to show how seriously our gov't treats the possibility of invaasive species coming into the States, I understand that all trash from any inbound international flight that had any food/snack service onboard is off-loaded from the plane, loaded on semi trucks and hauled away for incineration. That is the process at Chicago O'Hare and, I surmise, all other international airports in the country.

They do the same thing for international cruise ships - and they charge an absolute fortune for it as well.

We had a cruise in 1994 on the Independence, American Hawaiian Line. No longer in service. When you went on an all day cruise (renting a car) they provided a packed lunch. It was great. Sandwiches, muffins, drink, fruit.

Of course anything great like that is no longer available. They had 7 day cruises and were great.

Was it provided by the ship or by the tour operator?
Ship. We picked up the box leaving the show-lounge meeting point. IIRC neither DW or I ate more than half of the stuff in the box ... and then went and got some great slices of pizza in Amalfi! I think a lot of people who took the boxes just left them on the the bus and ate in a restaurant. I guess maybe they took the box just in case they didn't get a chance to eat elsewhere, but I'd venture a guess that half the food was wasted. Or maybe the bus driver took them. :)

fruit (apples, bananas) and have never been asked or questioned. Food is always for the kids since we don't know where we are going, when we can get food and what type.

Who cares who the food is for. Most everywhere, fruits and veg. are banned, with fines attached. Have you ever heard of med fly, and what that did to California????

Archived