Grandeur OTS - A Ship Review in Pictures

I was also on the April 24th cruise with a group of 16. Love the recent review. I would like to add, we thoroughly enjoyed Darren Bethell in the Schooner Lounge every night. He is my new "favorite" entertainer. Don't miss his show.

Great review! It brought back good memories. We have sailed Grandeur twice and enjoyed both trips a lot. Captain Rob is always great. We are sailing Enchantment in 10 days and I was hoping he would already be there. Doesn't sound like it though.

I have to agree about the CD John Blair. Just not as enthusiastic as others I have experienced. Not bad but not great.

Thanks for the great review, it brought back many pleasant memories. I am sad that the Grandeur will no longer be going out of Baltimore, but I am very happy that Captain Rob is going to be on the Enchantment.

Once again, great review.

I'm wondering...maybe we could request a fridge..what do you think?

I kinda doubt it. In the cabins I've been in that had a fridge, they were fairly "permanent fixtures" of the vanity/desk area.

Thank you for the great review. The ship looks really nice, and in line with RCI's practice of maintaining their ships well. Great pics!

No question there. I was expecting the ship to look "faded," but it shined like the best of 'em - albeit on a smaller scale. :D

Thanks for the great review and photos! We are looking to book this ship for a family cruise, mostly adults and older kids (14, 16, 17). Do you think there will be things for the kids to do on this ship? We have been spoiled by the Freedom class ships!

Did you find the outdoor pool area to be nice?

Thanks for you help!

Thanks for the great review and photos! We are looking to book this ship for a family cruise, mostly adults and older kids (14, 16, 17). Do you think there will be things for the kids to do on this ship? We have been spoiled by the Freedom class ships!

Did you find the outdoor pool area to be nice?

Thanks for you help!

I think it depends on the kids & their personalities. There is certainly not a lot to do on the ship compared to RCI's newer mega-ships. We actually liked the slower pace and spent a lot of time lounging on deck 5, just watching the waves. But if I had been on this ship with my family as a teenager, I might have gone stir-crazy.

The pool area is fine, but it's pretty basic, and certainly not as ornate and large-scale as you're used to on the Freedom-class.

I hate to burst your bubble and say the Grandeur felt like an adult cruise, but it really did. But if your kids are happy just laying around the pool, then they would probably still have a great time. Keep in mind that there was only one full day at sea on our sailing, so most of the cruise was spent in ports.

Good luck! :)

I think it depends on the kids & their personalities. There is certainly not a lot to do on the ship compared to RCI's newer mega-ships. We actually liked the slower pace and spent a lot of time lounging on deck 5, just watching the waves. But if I had been on this ship with my family as a teenager, I might have gone stir-crazy.

The pool area is fine, but it's pretty basic, and certainly not as ornate and large-scale as you're used to on the Freedom-class.

I hate to burst your bubble and say the Grandeur felt like an adult cruise, but it really did. But if your kids are happy just laying around the pool, then they would probably still have a great time. Keep in mind that there was only one full day at sea on our sailing, so most of the cruise was spent in ports.

Good luck! :)

Thanks again for the input! We like the itinerary, and the ship looks nice, but it does seem more geared toward the adult crowd. To be honest , my kids didn't really take advantage of the ice rink, or the rock climbing wall on FOS or LOS. But they DID enjoy hanging out with all the other kids on board. I'm wondering if this will be a cruise with not many kids, although we are looking at mid-July, so maybe there would be more. We need something short, as we are trying to coordinate the schedules of 3 families. Have you been on Majesty or Monarch? Maybe one of those might be better for this group??

For me, laying on a lounge chair and reading a book is about all I want to do!

very impressed with how well the ship looks after 14 years of age!

was a little hesitant about that when i booked on her since my last 4 cruises or so have all been on newer, larger, ships -- but i am no longer worried!

thanks for the review!

I'm wondering if this will be a cruise with not many kids, although we are looking at mid-July, so maybe there would be more. Have you been on Majesty or Monarch? Maybe one of those might be better for this group??

You will almost definitely have a higher number of kids during the summer months. That's one of the reasons the Mrs. and I stick to spring & fall cruises. :p

I haven't been on the Majesty or Monarch, but after the Grandeur, I'd be willing to try any RCI ship, regardless of its age.

very impressed with how well the ship looks after 14 years of age! was a little hesitant about that when i booked on her since my last 4 cruises or so have all been on newer, larger, ships -- but i am no longer worried!

The decor was naturally not as modern, but the ship was in as good condition or better than newer ships I've been on.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review and pics! Like you said finding Grandeur info seems more difficult compared to the bigger, newer ships. I am definitely more excited to be aboard her in September now. Like you I am laid back and would really have to work at not enjoying a cruise, plus I'll be cruising with about 42 friends and family so we will be making our own fun but it is nice to see some beautiful pictures and hear good things about the ship and the crew. Thanks again, Jim

You'll have a great time!

Grandeur Tip: There is no Promenade Cafe, so great coffee is hard to come by. But if you need a fix, you can order a good cup of coffee from Lattetudes for around $2.

Would you know if they sell a coffee card? and on a different note..would you know if they sell buckets of beer?

You'll have a great time!

Grandeur Tip: There is no Promenade Cafe, so great coffee is hard to come by. But if you need a fix, you can order a good cup of coffee from Lattetudes for around $2.

For some reason my search doesn't work...what deck would I find the 'good' coffee on?

Archived