Terrible customer service

To the poster above who decided to cite only the Airline Passenger Rights directive, the same poster forgot to cite the EU Package Travel Directive, which is an entirely different law.

Under this Directive, and individual country laws enacted to implement and, in some cases, even expand it, the passenger is entitled to assistance, recourse, refund, accommodation, etc., against the CRUISE LINE.

This Directive makes the cruise line primarily liable, although if the cruise line provides accommodation, etc., it will then be the cruiseline who is entitled to seek reimbursement from the airline, so that the passenger is not reimbursed twice.

All of this has been discussed in-depth on other threads.

The EU Passenger Rights directive must be followed by EU airlines and any other airline operating to or from an EU airport.

The EU Package Travel Directive applies to trips purchased from an EU office of a cruise line, tour operator, and the like, or from an EU travel agency.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Article 5, Section 2 seems to exempt the travel organiser from liablilty for damages for cases of "force majeure", or similar circumstances which could be neither foreseen nor overcome, I think the Volcano would qualify.

Umm. I didn't say good business. I don't think you even read what I said. I said that IF it was a case of poor communication, where different people were saying different things or the originally quoted prices did not include some taxes and fees, then that is POOR COMMUNICATION, but not the same as GOUGING. It is an important distinction.

I think you can call it POOR COMMUNICATION until...money changes hands. It's the MONEY that is the real distinction.

Dear friend:

In all of my other threads, I have clearly distinguished between the terms "damages"/"compensation" and "assistance".

You are absolutely correct when you say that in an event of force majeure, "damages" are excluded.

However, and both the Airline Passenger Rights Directive and the Package Travel Directive clearly explain this, that means that you are not entitled to additional "compensation" or "damages" (under EU law, when a trip is cancelled by the organizer without force majeure coming into play, the organizer must pay you "compensation" or "damages" of at least 5% of the total value of your trip, in addition to providing you with a full refund or substitute trip if you so choose, and this amount even increases depending upon the circumstances).

The laws I cite clearly state that, in cases of force majeure, "damages" or "additional compensation" do not apply, but standard assistance, including re-routing, hotel, meals, surface transportation, telephone calls, refunds where applicable, etc., DO apply even in cases of force majeure.

Force majeure ONLY excludes ADDITIONAL DAMAGES, but not standard refunds, assistance, reimbursement, etc., as per EU law.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I write my post given the OP is an American. Unless otherwise notified, RCCL would have assumed everyone booked would show up. To assume otherwise, would mean calling thousands of people and probably not getting ahold of many. They had to be prepared to sail full meaning all food supplies at average levels and a fully staffed ship. I'm understanding that the OP had made their own air travel arrangements and therefore the cruiseline had no liability to assure transportation to the port. A good question is: did the OP cancel the cruise? If not, RCCL will be hard pressed to provide proof of cancellation the OP says is two days late since RCCL didn't cancel the cruise.

Why aren't people slamming the airlines about no rooms available and the like. The first line of "customer relations" should come from the airlines in this situation. They didn't know from one day to the next whether they were going to fly or not. Why involve the cruiseline?

No. That is not the distinction for price gouging.

Well, we will agree to disagree. I contend it might be "poor communication" up till the time the cruise line forced the customer to pay an amount HIGHER than specified in the cruise line's first quote.

And if the cruise line..."mis-communicated" in their first price quote...after the customers accepted that price and canceled their hotel rooms...and were left with few other options..one would think RCCL would accept responsibility for their "poor communication" and honor the price they quoted.

Well, we will agree to disagree. I contend it might be "poor communication" up till the time the cruise line forced the customer to pay an amount HIGHER than specified in the cruise line's first quote.

And if the cruise line..."mis-communicated" in their first price quote...after the customers accepted that price and canceled their hotel rooms...and were left with few other options..one would think RCCL would accept responsibility for their "poor communication" and honor the price they quoted.

How much did they quote the first time, and how was it communicated? What was the final quote and how was it communicated? If you don't have even that much basic information, then you have to make some assumptions to conclude that it is price gouging.

Edit: I will add that good communication requires a good delivery and good reception. It's a two-way thing. The reception of the information can sometimes be the biggest problem, as evidenced by you taking things I've said to mean that I would think price gouging was good business.

the second best "insurance" is dealing with a company with a reputation for fast response, integrity, and good customer service in a crisis.

Part of your "contigency plan" is how you choose to spend your money. Who you can trust...if "life" happens. Or who might dump you at the dock.

Seems to happen when you call rccl all the time. Inconsistent customer service...different answers depending on whomever you get...

true talk - i agree 100%!!!!

Intersting that this is the posters first post in CC. Also intersting that many complaint posts I have noticed to be the poster's first post. If people took as much care in researchinga nd asking questions on CC as they take in complaining on CC, just maybe things might turn out a tiny bit better.

All one has to do is look at each and every past post of this person and see that they do nothing but bash Royal Caribbean and those that speak positively of the line. Sounds like an agenda to me. And then there is one person that only shows up on negative threads about Royal Caribbean and enjoys the "pile on" effect. Take those posters with a grain of salt.:rolleyes:

There's a very successful businessman in my city: one day I had an issue with him. When I called and complained ...he thanked me. He said " If we make a business mistake and don't make it right, shame on me...but if you are so unhappy as to not use my business any more and don't give me a chance to make it right...SHAME on YOU!

Posters who come here to tell of their poor experiences give RCCL a valuable service. On a cumulative basis, every day here , RCCL sees where it needs to make improvements, where it's lacking...how good customers are being lost.

Those of you who insult the people who post negative experiences, frankly...are hurting the very people who are assisting your favorite cruise line. The paranoia that anyone who makes a FIRST post and it is not glowing is suspicious...is ludricoius. Do you accuse the first time poster who had a fabulous time of being suspicious too?

People tend to post here because they are thrilled..or unhappy.

Personally, I tend to post when the "piling on" of anyone with a complaint begins.

No one needs to pay thousands of dollars for a cabin where Maintenance drills all night....or the toilet doesn't work...or sheets smell. How ludicrous for you cheerleaders to harass these posters, try to embarrass them, or say their complaint is "unworthy."

Every one of these complaints...if RCCL would act on them and work to ameliorate these issues...would provide me , you, the complainers AND you Cheerleaders with a better cruise.

Hurray for the complainers...tell RCCL what it NEEDS to hear!

There's a very successful businessman in my city: one day I had an issue with him. When I called and complained ...he thanked me. He said " If we make a business mistake and don't make it right, shame on me...but if you are so unhappy as to not use my business any more and don't give me a chance to make it right...SHAME on YOU!

Posters who come here to tell of their poor experiences give RCCL a valuable service. On a cumulative basis, every day here , RCCL sees where it needs to make improvements, where it's lacking...how good customers are being lost.

Those of you who insult the people who post negative experiences, frankly...are hurting the very people who are assisting your favorite cruise line. The paranoia that anyone who makes a FIRST post and it is not glowing is suspicious...is ludricoius. Do you accuse the first time poster who had a fabulous time of being suspicious too?

People tend to post here because they are thrilled..or unhappy.

Personally, I tend to post when the "piling on" of anyone with a complaint begins.

No one needs to pay thousands of dollars for a cabin where Maintenance drills all night....or the toilet doesn't work...or sheets smell. How ludicrous for you cheerleaders to harass these posters, try to embarrass them, or say their complaint is "unworthy."

Every one of these complaints...if RCCL would act on them and work to ameliorate these issues...would provide me , you, the complainers AND you Cheerleaders with a better cruise.

Hurray for the complainers...tell RCCL what it NEEDS to hear!

So again I ask, if anyone who posts the likes of their cruise line is a cheerleader, what is someone who only bashes the said cruise line? So anyone who makes a positive post is a cheerleader and they are bad but people who constantly bash are the ones that never do wrong.:rolleyes:

If you're not happy with Royal Caribbean, why not find a cruise line that meets the high and mighty regulations that you require. I think that you posted that you would not forget how Royal Caribbean has handled this latest situation. Let us all hope that is the case. :rolleyes:

I came across a very similar complaint on another vacation discussion website. In this instance, the OP had booked to fly to the European port to join his ship on a budget airline (from the UK) - which was arranged by his TA. When he was grounded by the Ash Cloud he missed the sailing, He was then complaining that RCCL duidn't compensate him for the missed cruise.

When I (quite mildly ) pointed out that RCCL had nothing to do with his cheapy-cheapy flight which had been arranged independently of the cruise, I was flamed by several other posters.

Just because RCCL is a huge company with considerable amounts of money doesn't mean they should be expected to put their hands in their pockets, when these Acts of God occur.

I came across a very similar complaint on another vacation discussion website. In this instance, the OP had booked to fly to the European port to join his ship on a budget airline (from the UK) - which was arranged by his TA. When he was grounded by the Ash Cloud he missed the sailing, He was then complaining that RCCL duidn't compensate him for the missed cruise.

When I (quite mildly ) pointed out that RCCL had nothing to do with his cheapy-cheapy flight which had been arranged independently of the cruise, I was flamed by several other posters.

Just because RCCL is a huge company with considerable amounts of money doesn't mean they should be expected to put their hands in their pockets, when these Acts of God occur.

You are probably correct...It is just GOOD BUSINESS to keep my $$$ and I get nothing...The ash cloud was neither RCI or my fault so why not give me credit for another room if it was available (as in otherwise empty and not earning them anything)...

I work for and American airline who specializes in "customer service" and if we treated our passengers like RCI responded I probably wouldn't have a job right now

I'd like to take a cruise on HAL but they continue to allow their passengers to fill the air with their secondary smoke. Could you go on over to their board and see what you can do??

Friend, you've found my Achilles heel. I hate the smoke too...but I never let myself get in a debate with a smoker.

(scary...)

Archived