RCCL - 2APR11 14 night Miami to Barcelona with a family of three DD 5 years old

foxesden1

My DD age five gets three weeks off for Spring Break. We got a great deal on a cruise, so we went for it. I have many.. many.. questions..

1. We are on the westcoast - if you booked air with RCCL did you have to do a overnight? How far in advance did you get your flights?

2. Hotel in Miami close to ports, but still easy access to see the strip. No car being rented.

3. Tour from Miami Airport to Port? We are returning from Paris, so no chance on the return to see Miami!

4. Kids club - Do they do a latenight kids club? My DD is potty trained, but still not at night. Do they provide places/matts for the kids to sleep? (keeping in mind I am sleeping by 10pm so it shall not be that late of a night!)

5. Dry cleaning? We are going to be taking 3 weeks worth of cloths with us, and I would rather not pack 4 formal gowns for her and I. Do they dry clean on board? Will they be back in time for the next evening? What about doing own wash as well? Disney had washers everywhere it seemed. I would not mind getting a load done at the end of the trip so we leave with clean clothing for the last week in Paris. Do they sell washing powder, if so how much? Or do I bring it from home?

6. My time family dining - from what I have read, it does not seem to work so well.. people have to pre order for the week? How do you do that? I know on Disney I could pre order her meal the night before, does RCCL not do the same thing?

7. Rooms - are the doors able to hold those shoe hangers? I was hoping to bring three with me, one for the main door, and two for the bathroom door.. unless its a pocket door? We are in CAT L inside.

8. Has anyone else done a transatlantic sailing with their young child? How did it go? Tips?

9. Shows? We have main seating which is 6pm. What time are the shows at?

10. Adventure Dining? Please tell me about this! What nights (ie are they formal nights, theme nights) do they do this, and is there a charge? What time is drop off/pick up?

Thanks so much!

I'll answer what I can:

Dry-cleaning is fast and efficient...put it out the night before, and it will be ready before dinner the next day. There's no "self-serve" laundry on RCI at all. They will do laundry for you, if you wish.

MTD is not really for "pre-ordering meals", but for going to the dining room at a time of your choosing, as opposed to the 2 "set" dining times. If your daughter is going to the kid's club at night, main seating (or MTD at or about that time!) will work best for you.

The shows for main (early) seating will be AFTER dinner.

Yes, the doors will hold a shoe hanger!

I can answer in general about the ocean crossing - I sailed back and forth from Los Angeles to Hawaii when my twins turned 4. Those five days at sea each way were the best days cruising we've had. It is absolutely wonderful to have absolutely no feeling of obligation to either be visiting a port or resting up for the next day in port. There is plenty to do, and the days all start running into each other until you completely forget what day it is - really fun and relaxing. We hit some rough seas (but nothing like the huge seas we experienced in the Med in January), but none of us got sick. I would bring something just in case.

Obviously, since there are no shore stops for a stretch, you want to be sure you have absolutely everything you might need. Our gift shop was out of tampons the first day (!), so it's not like they necessarily stock up for the long crossing.

Best,

Mia

Archived