Just off the Dream this morning -questions welcome

Just off the Dream this morning and will post a regular review. There is also a picture journal started (will be done by 5/9) with pictures of the ship. I tried to address previous negatives in the review which is quite long. Here are some highlights:

General observations and addressing previous complaints:

Gym- Because of the room needed for the “pay for Spa” the free gym area with the machines is very small, in fact it is much smaller than any previous Carnival ship we have been on. With more people on the ship, if you get a group that uses the gym a lot, you will seriously have big waits for machine. Luckily, there was not a lot of “gym” people on our cruise.

Spa package for non spa cabins - Bought the spa couples package for the week at $249./couple. Would not do this again. While the Spa, thallo pool, and saunas were wonderful, there was so much to do we only made it up to the Spa once. This makes our one visit cost $124 / each.. There are plenty of whirlpool all around the ship, many times they are empty. We just never got a chance to go up there. If you are a spa/sauna person you will love it, we just didn’t use it enough to offset the expense.

Internet - The packages actually got cheaper than they have been on previous cruises. We usually buy 240 minutes to use with our laptop. It was $89.00 this time (previously it was $100). That used to be the most you could buy. They did add a 480 minute package for $159.00. Internet wireless was available throughout the ship and they had FunHubs in several prominent places instead of a internet café hidden away and hard to find. The wireless worked great in our aft cabin and several carnival sites were free to use without using your minutes. The speed is actually faster than our DSL hughes.net at home (which is terrible), but if you are used to roadrunner, you will think it is slow. I did upload many pictures and it is much faster than the past.

Smells - We did not small anything problematic during the week. We have been on 12 cruises and there is always a fleeting smell if the wind is blowing just right. For us the worst ship we were on for this was the Victory. The Dream was free of bad smells and I was looking for them because it was so covered in the reviews. Once I think I got a vague whiff of something as I was climbing the staircase to the slides when we were docked in Belize. Personally, it is a ship and I really think people do not stop to think that Carnival has to treat the sewage onboard and there is probably smells from time to time that are generated. As we said, we smelled them at various times on all ships

Crowds and lines - Did not find a problem here at all. Maybe we are just on a different schedule that other people but this was not a issue for us. Like I said, I actually took pictures to illustrate this. We found plenty of seats in the buffet areas in the aft part of the buffet dining room. Walked up and got omelets even at 9am in the aft buffet and there was no one on line. There were plenty of workers in the buffet area and tables were cleaned promptly. The last sea day there were more people and we saw some light line ups at lunchtime but no worse than other ships we have been on. Sometimes there was congestion by the elevators like going down to deck zero to get off and on the ship or times when the dining rooms were just opened or a show got out. We used the stairs or just walked to a different bank of elevators.

Size of the ship - We loved the big ship and found it was good for “incidental exercise” as you walked the length of the ship. It is noticeably larger than even the size class of ship right below this one. I do think this would not be your ship if you had mobility problems as it is larger and there is more a hike to get places. They have also crowded a lot of tables in the dining room and buffet areas making it tricky to navigate if you were in a wheelchair or scooter. There were a few scooter and wheelchair people on board that we saw but not a lot. We were also lucky in that it is not a time that a lot of kids were out of school so there were only a few kids on board and they were well behaved. We did see unsupervised kids in various places that were behaving but were putting themselves in some danger. Several times we saw kids in the Lanai whirlpools either alone or with just another kid (both looked about 9 or 10) using the whirlpools alone. While well behaved, it is still risky for children as they were diving under the water. There seemed to be no employees in the area of the Lanai whirlpools when they were open which is probably risky.

Luggage - We locked our checked luggage and it arrived unopened without any tampering. We did not smuggle anything on board but we had on suitcase with a lot of liquid mouthwash, shampoo, etc and no one called us down to open it. We had a battery operated fan in our carry on luggage that was not looked at or questioned. We brought 2 - 12 packs of soda and 2 bottles of wine in our carry on (the allowable amounts) and they were neither looked at or questioned. We also had a outlet converter with extra plugs that was not questioned. Some people in our cruise critic roll call did have beer confiscated from their checked luggage. It was my understanding that they had cases of it in their checked luggage. We did also hear of people having liquor in their checked luggage in liquor bottles confiscated. They had zip ties on their luggage that were cut and a note was left in their luggage. Like I said, we had TSA locks that were not touched.

Drink coupons - We bought the drink coupons from Bon Voyage that we always buy for cruises. They have always been worth $5. 95 and in the past a pina colada or special drink cost us nothing extra. This has always been inconsistent with some people who said they were charged the difference. I had 8 coupons I bought and 50% of the time, my coupon was charged nothing extra for a pina colada. 25% of the time I was charged $1.95 extra and 25% of the time I was charge $3.95 extra. This was all for the same drink in the same glass. The pool area charged the most.

As for the specialty places to eat:

Mongolian Wok - this is the mid buffet area where we rarely were and we didn’t try it because there were plenty of other places to eat - we saw some short lines when we walked through at this area. On the last sea day of the cruise, we saw the most lines and there were about 15 people in line for this area during peak lunch time.

Pizza - We are used to this being in the aft area on other ships but on the Dream it is around the mid pool where we never got a chance to try it - did not really see lines when we passed.

Deli - This was in the aft area and we never saw too many people on line. Had sandwiches here and they were delicious.

Tandoor Grille - this Indian food place was in the aft pool area and rarely looked crowded. We have never had Indian food and it smelled a bit spicy so we didn’t try it. We didn’t hear anyone complain about the food here.

Hamburger grille - right by the mid pools and we saw very short lines here. Hamburgers/fries/hot dogs/etc. We ate here once and it was very good. (12 noon on the Belize day and there was no one there for a line so I walked up and got my food) On the last sea day at peak lunch time there were about 15-20 people waiting for this area but the line moved fast.

Burrito station - Good, lines not to bad - Mexican food is not our favorite so we didn’t eat here but others reported good food here.

Lanai barbecue - Ate here once as it is only opened on sea days and we made a point to eat here on the last sea day. It was good. The down side was it was so windy that day we couldn’t sit outside and just like the incredible annoying wind on the side balconies, the side Lanai was no different. Inside seating was full so we took our food up to the regular buffet area and sat there. Although not very bad, the sea days had more noticeable crowds but nothing worse than other ships we have been on.

Pasta station - hands down this is the BEST eating on the ship. Order when you arrive and hand your paper to the cook and sit down. Within 5 minutes, delicious pasta made to order. We did lunch here, 3 out of the 7 days and had to force ourselves to try different eatery places because this would be the only place we would eat in - good every time. NOTE: They have drinks up in the pasta area but no desserts - they are down the stairs at the buffet area. This means when you are finished with eating your pasta, if you want dessert, you have to go downstairs to get it and bring it up or find a table downstairs to sit at. After the first day we solved this by getting dessert and bringing it upstairs to the pasta bar to eat when we got done.

Buffet itself - like we noted we ate here breakfast a couple of time - lunch once or twice (when we weren’t at the pasta bar) and dinner twice. Standard carnival buffet - plenty of different selections, everything was good. We missed the Chocolate extravaganza that was not advertised and in the mid part of the buffet area on the last sea day. It is across from the Mongolian wok station and easily missed. We had already eaten but we did look at it. They had a lot of chocolate and chocolate related things.

All and all, this was a wonderful cruise. We would love to cruise on the Dream again as it was a wonderful ship. I really had to think hard to come up with any negatives for this cruise, it was a great cruise.

Glad you had a great time! I'll be on the dream 6/12 - can hardly wait.

What cabin were you in and did you do western or eastern?

Thanks!

We were in cabin 7467 an aft extended balcony, category 8M. It was the Western cruise. Made all ports except Isla Roatan, we couldn't dock at Mahogany Bay due to high winds the day before causing sludge in the channel. Apparently this is a bone of contention with Carnival who wants to permanently dredge it so this doesn't happen. We docked the other side of the island instead at town Center. Planned to go to the beach at Mahogany Bay but we just ended up getting off and shopping a little. They cancelled Mahogany Bay excursion but other beach excursions did go out. We stayed an extra hour in Roatan.

Welcome back and thanks for the post, can't wait to read more and see your pictures :)

How was the disembarking, what time were you off the ship?

We are Platinum and so we get priority debark. It was done well though and people were getting off quickly even after us (We got off at 7:15am after the self debark people - carry all your own luggage) It went very smoothly and the week before, we boarded at 10:45am. I suggest you get to the port between 10:30am-11 am. You will get on quickly. Everyone we talked to got a special call from carnival 2 days prior (including us) saying we can come to the port between 1pm and 3pm. As usual the seasoned cruisers ignore this and come early and are rewarded with no lines and early on the boat. Rooms were ready by 1pm.

We are Platinum and so we get priority debark. It was done well though and people were getting off quickly even after us (We got off at 7:15am after the self debark people - carry all your own luggage) It went very smoothly and the week before, we boarded at 10:45am. I suggest you get to the port between 10:30am-11 am. You will get on quickly. Everyone we talked to got a special call from carnival 2 days prior (including us) saying we can come to the port between 1pm and 3pm. As usual the seasoned cruisers ignore this and come early and are rewarded with no lines and early on the boat. Rooms were ready by 1pm.

Thanks for posting this! I'll be Platinum on this cruise, and I was curious as to what time the Platinum cruisers can get off the ship without self debarking.

Glad you had "no" lines. We sailed on the Dream April 24th-May 1st and we stood in lines no less then 30 minutes each morning you wanted an omelete. Lines were horrible in the buffet all week. No matter the time. We even sailed sailed 1,000 people short (3689) The Grille outside with burgers were just as bad. No mater what time we went there were at least 30 to 40 people in like. Back almost to the pizza .

As far as the smell. You were never on our floor. We were in cabin 6380. Loved the cabin but if you walked down the hall, away from the elevators, the smell was horrible. The stinch was there all week.

Cruise was great but just to many people for my liking.

Our friends have the same cabin on our cruise next month; did you have a sofa?

I was also wondering about tendering in Belize. As Platinum guests, were you able to get off on the first tender? Do they have you go to a lounge at a specific time and get a tender sticker?

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

Did they have the normal lunch in the main dining room or was it the brunch they were serving..For a while everyone was talking about the brunch but I haven't heard anything about it lately..loving your mini review and waiting for your full review..thanks

Did they have the normal lunch in the main dining room or was it the brunch they were serving..For a while everyone was talking about the brunch but I haven't heard anything about it lately..loving your mini review and waiting for your full review..thanks

Brunch is no more. It was just for the first few sailings.

Welcome back and thanks for the post, can't wait to read more and see your pictures :)

How was the disembarking, what time were you off the ship?

Kristen when we got off the Dream on 5/1 self assist started at 6:45am. Unbelievably early and we were told this is the new norm as long as the ship is back in port as scheduled. We loved being able to get on at 11am and if that means getting off earlier I'm all for it :)

I was on the same cruise and concur with the poster. Some things to add. They are now selling future cruise certificates and cruises on the Dream. It started 2 weeks ago. All the musicians and singers were very good and dont miss the 3 break dancers. The country show has a great country fiddler that makes that show special and there are 3 production shows on this ship. The last sea day the pasta station was so busy they closed orders for a while because of the backup. But with the right timing you never waited long for the buffet.

We were on the Dream's previous cruise, 4/24/10 and our experience was much the same as yours. She is a great ship and we did not encounter any of the problems that so many other people have been reporting. Welcome home - glad you had a great cruise.

So happy to hear another "positive" review on "Dream". She will probably become one of our favorites, as she took the place of "Glory", and we love sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts and observations.

"SKY"

Qa

Glad you had "no" lines. We sailed on the Dream April 24th-May 1st and we stood in lines no less then 30 minutes each morning you wanted an omelete. Lines were horrible in the buffet all week. No matter the time. We even sailed sailed 1,000 people short (3689) The Grille outside with burgers were just as bad. No mater what time we went there were at least 30 to 40 people in like. Back almost to the pizza .

As far as the smell. You were never on our floor. We were in cabin 6380. Loved the cabin but if you walked down the hall, away from the elevators, the smell was horrible. The stinch was there all week.

Cruise was great but just to many people for my liking.

We were on the same cruise as you. We did not encounter any lines as you described. Perhaps we were just lucky - all week long. As to the smell we never found it. Again I gueuss we were just lucky.

So happy to hear another "positive" review on "Dream". She will probably become one of our favorites, as she took the place of "Glory", and we love sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts and observations.

"SKY"

I am just curious, why do you love sailing out of Port Canaveral. I am going to be booking the Dream for October 30th and the fact that the port was 60 miles away from the airport is putting a little damper on it for me. So please, make me feel better about it!

Although I'm not the person who "loved sailing out of Port Canaveral" I do also enjoy it. Somehow I don't miss the frantic hustle and bustle of Miami. Sailing on Saturday out of Miami is SO busy, but Port Canaveral is much more laid back, at least to me. I also like the nice short channel and the fact you're out in open seas so quickly. We fly in and say the night before in Cocoa Beach and the hotels are also much more reasonable and no particular concerns about security when we're out at night. JMHO.

I am just curious, why do you love sailing out of Port Canaveral. I am going to be booking the Dream for October 30th and the fact that the port was 60 miles away from the airport is putting a little damper on it for me. So please, make me feel better about it!

I was on the Dream April 24th sailing and I too share the love for Port Canaveral now. We booked a town car from Cocoa Beach Shuttle service. The night before they were to pick us up they informed me that there was an error and they were out of town cars but had a private shuttle van for us at a cheaper rate. If you use them make sure you mention CC as you get a 10% discount by doing so.

I was like you and not thrilled with the distance from the airport to the Radisson but Jamie our driver made it fly by when she chatted with us and pointed out various land marks. It was all freeway and we were at the hotel before we knew it.

Once at the Radisson the atmosphere was one of a resort vacation so our 2 day pre-cruise stay was so enjoyable. I'd book another cruise from this port without hesitation despite the travel distance.

I was on the Dream April 24th sailing and I too share the love for Port Canaveral now. We booked a town car from Cocoa Beach Shuttle service. The night before they were to pick us up they informed me that there was an error and they were out of town cars but had a private shuttle van for us at a cheaper rate. If you use them make sure you mention CC as you get a 10% discount by doing so.

I was like you and not thrilled with the distance from the airport to the Radisson but Jamie our driver made it fly by when she chatted with us and pointed out various land marks. It was all freeway and we were at the hotel before we knew it.

Once at the Radisson the atmosphere was one of a resort vacation so our 2 day pre-cruise stay was so enjoyable. I'd book another cruise from this port without hesitation despite the travel distance.

Did you fly into Orlando? How much did it cost to transport you from the airport to your hotel and how far was your hotel from the port? Sorry for so many questions, I just thought that it would be too much back and forth if I went a day prior.

Archived