Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martten, pick one to snorkle

etexfam

Sorry I have never been to Nassau but St. Thomas is very easy to do on your own. When you get off the ship you have to walk through a small shopping area and there are quite a few pickups with built in seats in the back to carry 10-15 people. We went to Coki Beach (about a 15-20 min ride) The water is very clear, calm and is a protected cove. Plenty of food, drinks, bathrooms, etc. Lots of Taxi's to take you back. We tried Sapphire Beach but it was a little rough. , pretty beach but I didn't like it as much. Colud have been the guy who was fixing the sink in the bathroom and told me to just go ahead , I would not bother him!! St. Maarten has a great beach (not much snorkeling though) when you ride the water taxi, $5.00 all day. The beach is just to the left of the dock. We got a couple of chairs along with umbrellas and the row of restaurants right behind you. Can't think of a better way to spend the day. Lots of Beaches to choose from. I have heard that Orient Beach is good, check the 'Ports of Call' board. If you have young children, be careful, some of the beaches are topless!

I haven't been to Nassua, but between St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I would choose St. Thomas. There are lots of beaches with good snorkeling there and on St. John so even if it is rough in one spot you should be able to find good conditions somewhere.

On St. Maarten, I was told that the beach best for snorkeling is Dawn Beach. Unfortunately it was too rough the day we were there (which the locals said was unusual).

The St. Thomas board has lots of information on how to get to snorkeling on your own.

Nassau: If you snorkel here, take a ship or catamaran. Most of the best beach snorkeling requires access from one of the resorts. (Sandals, Radisson, or Atlantis)

St. Maarten: Dawn Beach is good, but choppy and deep. You have to be a strong swimmer to do it. I'm an average swimmer at best, and I was exhausted after the snorkel. Saw a really cool puffer fish, though. Islet Pinel has the best snorkeling in St. Martin. Take a taxi to Cul-De-Sac and then a water taxi over to the Islet. I'm sure you can find more info on the St. Martin boards. We tried Orient Bay, but the beach is too sandy. Nothing to see.

St. Thomas: hands down, the best. Coki or Sapphire are both excellent. You'll find a ton of info on the ports of call boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Definately the choice is easy, St. Thomas beats them all hands down. The best snorkle excursion I've found is the Buck Island Sail and Snorkle. You are on a boat with only 6 passengers max. and you not only get to enjoy wonderful snorkleling, you get a great sail both there and back. Two great things for the price of one. The snorkeling was great too, clear, calm water and lots of fish, sting rays and turtles. Check it out, you can't go wrong!

Went snorkeling at Coki Beach (St. Thomas) and Dawn Beach (St. Maarten). Coki is a protected cove (as someone else pointed out) and very easy snorkeling. Dawn Beach was fairly choppy and a further swim to the reefs. DW sent me out first to make sure I wouldn't drown before she'd head out. I would definitely recommend Coki over Dawn.

Let me make another suggestion. DW bought her own snorkel gear (mask, snorkel and fins) and I own dive gear. At each port we just took a cab to the beaches and went snorkeling. So why choose between them. Why not try them all. If you don't like the snorkeling at a beach, well you still have the beach to enjoy.:)

This thread was super helpful. I was thinking about the Buck Island snorkle, but I may miss out as I missed the deadline for pre-booking excursions. If I can't do the sail and snorkle, I'm headed to Coki Beach! Thanks!!!! Looking forward to my cruise. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Archived