FCO to CIV including 5-6 hrs to kill

awingatect

Will be arriving at FCO at 8 am (from NYC) and can't board ship at Civitavecchia until around 2pm. Looking for suggestions that combine transfer and something fun to do for a few hours. We have been into Rome before and will have luggage (but not an excessive amount). Thanks

By the time you claim your bags and clear Customs, get some euros from an ATM, and transfer to Civitavecchia, it will be at least noon (assuming your flight was on time). They will probably let you board by then.

I wouldn't get too ambitious, since you'll probably be jet-lagged. Yeah, you could tour for a couple of hours, but since you don't have a particular place you'd like to see, why not just get on the boat and relax?

If you are really determined to tour, contact www.romeinlimo.com for your transfers and see what they suggest.

Well, maybe not noon, I'd guess more likely around 11, with 10 being the best possible, and noon being a really bad day at the airport (arrive on time at 8, clear passport control by 8:30, pick up luggage by 9 and drive to Civitavecchia by 10 is kind of the best case scenario). If it's a nice day, I'd consider dropping off my luggage at the port and going for a walk around the shops in Civitavecchia.

Here is my suggestion if you are a little adventurous. Take the Leonardo de Vinci train that runs between the airport and the Termini train station in Rome. Drop off your bags at the checked luggage area. Then go to one or two sites you want to see either via taxi or subway. Finally, take the train from Termini to Civitavecchia. As mentioned earlier, you should be walking out of the airport around 9:30am. The train from the airport to Rome is about 15 euro per person, the checked luggage will cost about 10 euro and the train to Civitavecchia will cost about 15 euro per person.

If you want simple, take the suggestion to hire a company like RomeCabs or Romeinlimo to meet you at the airport, drive you around the city for a few hours and head off to port.

Archived