Just off Infinity in Buenos Aires

buffetking

Here are the excursions we took.

Buenos Aires we went on the Gaucho Fiesta with lunch. I enjoyed this tour.

You get to ride horses or go on a buggy ride if you want. Good lunch with dancing.

Falkland Islands we did the Bluff Cove Penguin rookery tour. This was a lot of fun. Our driver was "crocodile Dundee". He was pretty cool. You go off road in a land rover type vehicle. There were lots of Penguins. There was a small trailer there with yummy cakes and other goodies.

We took the Montevideo highlights tour. We drove all over exploring the city.

Nothing great, just a bus tour. You might do better just getting a cab and going to the nicer beach areas.

Punta Arenas we took the ferry to Magdalena Island to see Penguins. The ferry is a little cramped and the provided lunch was not too good. If you go out the door to the back of the ferry, there is a nice covered area there you can enjoy the views. Be on the lookout as you cruise to the island. There are dolphins and penguins in the water all over. We saw many Dolphins.

The Penguins look like ducks in the water. The island was very cool!!!

There are thousands of Penguins there. You can get really close to them.

Be sure to climb to the top of the light house for a great view of the island.

Dress in layers!!!! The wind can get very strong. Bring lots of film or spare batteries!!! I took over 100 pictures.

In Puerto Montt We did the Orsono volcano by 4x4 tour. I enjoyed this tour.

You get up pretty high on the volcano. Don't wait for them to call your group for this tour. We waited and when we got to the jeeps, they were full. My wife had to go in a different jeep than me. At the first stop, I changed jeeps to be with my wife. It was a tight squeeze, but fun. The lunch was good. Bring bug repellent or a fly swatter. There are huge "horse flies" buzzing around. Happy swatting.

We took the Peninsula Valdes tour in Puerto Madryn. Long bus ride to see Elephant seals and sea lions. Good box lunch. The Elephant seals were completely inactive. There was not too much to see. The Sea lions were much better. You don't get too close to them, bring binoculars or telephoto lenses. We got back too late to see the city or do anything else. I really wouldn't recommend this tour. The landscape is barren and the roads dusty.

We took the Beagle channel navigation Catamaran in Ushuaia. This was fun. We stayed outside on deck and enjoyed the scene. Lots of wildlife. The bus tour through the national park was kinda short. You get back with time to tour the town. My dinner tablemates took the train tour. They did not like it too well.

The tours were all expensive. Some should have been half the price. Some of the tours take you pretty far from the ship on unpaved roads, something to think about if you get your own private tour.

In the Falklands, there was an accident involving a jeep that flipped over injuring 6 people. I don't know what ship they were from, the NCL Crowne was there when we were. I do know they ended up in the hospital. My dinner table mates came uopn the accident scene when they were returning to town from a private tour.

If you read the cruise contract, the cruise company takes no responsibility for anything when you are on a ships' tour. I feel if they are making a profit from tours, they should shoulder some responsibility.

So, be safe and have fun.

D

Buffetking,

I agree with you about the excursions from the ship. They are all expensive and then you feel as though Celebrity does not take any responsiblity for the quality. I think they should do more research before they offer tours. If they are substandard, then don't offer them. Very simple. We complained about the one to the penquins in Punta Arenas that you took. Their answer was that the only ferry available other than the one we took, you could't get off the bus on the ferry and there would be no air conditioning while the bus was on the ferry. The lunch was a joke. Everyone was afraid to eat it for fear of getting sick, not knowing exactly what the sandwich was. I know that with a little effort, it could have been improved. They could have send box lunches from the ship that would have been edible. Anyway, we had a great trip, but sometimes you feel a little taken advantage of by the extremly high prices that you pay to Celebrity.

Vicki

I'm sitting at my computer waiting for the taxi to come to take us to the airport. We leave later this afternoon on the long long flight to B.A. We board the Infinity on Sunday. I have not booked any shore excursions with Celebrity.

From what you say and past experience this seems to be the right decision.

Your input has been very useful. There is also a long report on your cruise on the cruisereviews web site. It was by a gentleman from Orange County Cal. He said it was very cold most of the time.

With regard to the point that the ship should prepare the packed meals. I don't think this would be allowed by the authorities in Chile.

Oh the taxi's arrived. Got to go. B.A. here we come!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. We are sailing on this cruise next January.

We have a balcony reserved on the port side, but a large CC opened up on the starboard side now. How much of a difference does the side of the ship make? Was there a lot of scenery on a particular side of the ship or were you mostly too far from land to see much?

Linda

We just got off the Infinity last Sunday. The food and shows were excellent. The itinerary was wonderful. More scenery on the starboard side. The weather was good and we were able to get into every port. We booked private tours in all ports except Ushuia. They were one third of the price of the ship tours and we went to all the same place plus some extra. In Buenos Aries, Carlos from private tours.com was excellent (full city tour and tango/dinner tour) In Puerto Montt, we used Jamie from World Cafe and saw everything. At other ports we were very fortunate to book at pier and get great guides and prices. Michella in Montevideo, Lucrezia in Puerto Madryn, Olga at Puerto Arenas. In Santiago we booked through the Celebrity desk at hotel and had two nice tours (dinner and show plus next day city tour) Also had great lecturers on the ship. You will have a wonderful time.

We took the Prinsendam to the Med for two weeks last Spring. My first preparation included a visit to Public Health Department in our county who reviewed immunizations and made suggestions re our destination.

I contacted my M.D. who wrote a prescription in case I had any problems. However many illnesses are viral and not bacterial....so antibiotics won't help unless there is a bacterial secondary infection.

I am an R.N.and strongly suggest that prevention beats treatment hands down. Though some of the wipes and such are useful, alcohol wipes are cheaper and won't add to resistant bacterial effect; just use lotion to avoid dryness.

On a recent cruise I found dirty glasses on our table, so be alert and take action....nicely but firmly and do notify a supervisor....out of concern for other passengers.

Since we are thinking about S.A. next year, I appreciate all the info.

Blessings,

We were on the Infinity with BuffetKing and ACJV.

It was a wonderful cruise although a lot of people did get sick. However people get sick at home too!

WE booked all private tours using the internet befroe leaving home and enjoyed truly wonderful tours with english speaking guides for a lot lower cost than the ships tours.

I have posted my review under South America.

Anyone thinking of this trip should go - definitely one of the best holidays we have been on.

Archived