Which port is best?

SoCal09

No cruise line docks in Hamilton on a regular basis and right now the only line going to St. George, or close by anchoring at Murray's Bay and tendering is HAL. They have also been going to Hamilton if it is too rough to tender. There's really not much choice.

As far as which are/were best, that's debatable.;) Our favorite was when Celebrity and RCCL docked in Hamilton part of the time, then the rest in St. George. After that, docking in St. George is our second choice....but not having to tender.

No cruise line docks in Hamilton on a regular basis and right now the only line going to St. George, or close by anchoring at Murray's Bay and tendering is HAL. They have also been going to Hamilton if it is too rough to tender. There's really not much choice.

As far as which are/were best, that's debatable.;) Our favorite was when Celebrity and RCCL docked in Hamilton part of the time, then the rest in St. George. After that, docking in St. George is our second choice....but not having to tender.

HAL does dock in Hamilton on a regular basis. They do one day tendering at St. George and then move to dock at Hamilton. If the weather is to rough to tander at St. George they dock at Hamilton the whole four days instead of docking there three days.

HAL does dock in Hamilton on a regular basis. They do one day tendering at St. George and then move to dock at Hamilton. If the weather is to rough to tander at St. George they dock at Hamilton the whole four days instead of docking there three days.

Oh geesh...wonder what I was thinking, gues I wasn't. It's been a few years since anyone docked in Hamilton and I was just thinking more about the Veendam's "issues" with St. George.:o

....so nobody has mentioned the dockyard. Is it because it is somewhat remote?

Nothing is really remote since the island is only about 21 sqaure miles.:)

It's not our favorite place to dock but many people like it just fine. It is on the very end of the west end of the island but that makes it very easy to get to the south shore beaches and Hamilton, plus you can get a fast ferry to St. George.

We've docked at the Dockyard twice. IMHO, I prefer to dock there. It is a quick 20 min ferry ride to Hamilton or 40 min ferry ride to St Georges. You MUST take the ferry to St Georges so you can go through the cut and experience the history of St Georges. But this will only fill one day at most. The southside beaches are closer to the dockyard. 30 min bus ride to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I just feel that it is much more convenient to have the dockyard as your start point no matter where you want to go. There is also much more to do and see at the dockyard than there used to be.

We've docked at the Dockyard twice. IMHO, I prefer to dock there. It is a quick 20 min ferry ride to Hamilton or 40 min ferry ride to St Georges. You MUST take the ferry to St Georges so you can go through the cut and experience the history of St Georges. But this will only fill one day at most. The southside beaches are closer to the dockyard. 30 min bus ride to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

I just feel that it is much more convenient to have the dockyard as your start point no matter where you want to go. There is also much more to do and see at the dockyard than there used to be.

To each their own. I don't see how taking ferries is more convenient than walking off the ship and being there! I prefer St. George and Hamilton to the contrived Dockyard. But I must correct you....the south shore beaches are closer to Hamilton. Horseshoe is twenty minutes from Hamilton. And Elbow beach is even closer. And at St. George you can walk to Tobacco which is not a south shore beach but has very good walk in snorkeling. But even from St. George you can take a twenty minute bus ride to a wonderful south shore beach that is uncrowded because it is relatively unknown, John Smiths Bay.

Archived