Bankok - any problems for cruise ships?

NYLady

We are booked on a cruise with a Bangkok embarkation next April. DH is nervous about all the upheaval going on there now and wants to cancel our trip. That seems premature as our final payment is not due for months. Can anyone tell me if disruptions in the city have affected affected cruise ship function or passenger safety so far?

We are booked on a cruise with a Bangkok embarkation next April. DH is nervous about all the upheaval going on there now and wants to cancel our trip. That seems premature as our final payment is not due for months. Can anyone tell me if disruptions in the city have affected affected cruise ship function or passenger safety so far?

There is NO way of knowing what Thailand will be like a year from now. It is too early. If it is like it is right now I would be concerned. Very concerned. But a year from now? Nobody can predict- this may pass in a week.

There is NO way of knowing what Thailand will be like a year from now. It is too early. If it is like it is right now I would be concerned. Very concerned. But a year from now? Nobody can predict- this may pass in a week.

I agree. Far too early to know. I wouldn't start worrying until you need to pay for your cruise and re-assess the sitaution then. May not be a problem at that time.

Laem Chebang is the cruise port that most cruise ships including Princess use for both embarkation and disembarkation. It is approximately two hours south of Bangkok. Since your cruise is almost one year away and as you stated, final payment is not due for a long time, I would just keep monitoring the situation.

A good source for information is the Bangkok Post newspaper available on line and cnn.com.

We are sailing from Capetown to Bangkok in November and we are not worried as Princess will change the port (perhaps for Singapore) if there is any concern. We will probably start to worry in the fall if the situation is still dangerous and we have to purchase our air tickets.

Princess Elite Passenger

Even though the port is 2 hours from Bangkok the airport is in the heart of it. We were there in Oct 2009, and a few months before our arrival there was an airport shutdown due to the protesters in the airport. Things cleared up and obviously have started up even worse. I think your decision would depend a lot on the air, did you book it with Princess? If you are booking it independently you may be up a creek without a paddle when the time for your cruise comes. A lot can happen, but plans to have to be made. Princess or any cruiseline will not jeopardise your safety. I hope it works out for you, we loved Bangkok, just hope the damage is not too bad.:(

I have a friend from Bangkok who says not until elections are over and they proposed new elections in Nov 2010. Meanwhile the Army has cracked down on protests and started a curfew. This could settle things and we dont arrive til Dec 5. We're hopeful.

Archived