Rotterdam 1 Day Vancouver to Seattle Quick Review

Atomica

My DH and I and another couple took the 1 day cruise to try out HAL. We have cruised several times on RCCL and Princess and thought we'd like to try HAL. The verdict ... we would love to take a longer cruise with HAL. The Rotterdam was lovely (yes, the retreat was fabulous). We had dinner at Pinnacle and it was fantastic. One of the best dinners we've ever had anywhere anytime. The cabins (we had an A verandah) was really nice. If HAL's thought was to tempt people to try their cruiseline, it was a brilliant idea. We will be back!

We cruised down to Seattle, stayed the night downtown and took AMtrak back home again Sunday. What a lovely weekend. I hope HAL offers 1 night cruises next spring. We will gather up a group of friends and have a terrific weekend. All the fun in Seattle but none of the driving or parking.

Barb

Thank you for your thread. My husband, 19-year-old daughter and I will be boarding on June 5. I am getting so excited. We are in a S-Class room, so I love hearing all about the ship!!!:)

Your family will love the Rotterdam, and if you've never been in an S-Suite before, you're in for a treat. They're fantastic staterooms, and include access to the Neptune Lounge, which is for suite guests only. They've got excellent pastries, coffee, etc. there. We had an S-Suite on one cruise, and while I loved the room, I really missed that lounge on subsequent cruises!

My DH and I and another couple took the 1 day cruise to try out HAL. We have cruised several times on RCCL and Princess and thought we'd like to try HAL. The verdict ... we would love to take a longer cruise with HAL. The Rotterdam was lovely (yes, the retreat was fabulous). We had dinner at Pinnacle and it was fantastic. One of the best dinners we've ever had anywhere anytime. The cabins (we had an A verandah) was really nice. If HAL's thought was to tempt people to try their cruiseline, it was a brilliant idea. We will be back!

We cruised down to Seattle, stayed the night downtown and took AMtrak back home again Sunday. What a lovely weekend. I hope HAL offers 1 night cruises next spring. We will gather up a group of friends and have a terrific weekend. All the fun in Seattle but none of the driving or parking.

Barb

HAL has offered one-day cruises for some time, but you're absolutely correct - it's a fantastic way to try out a cruise line, and I wish more lines did it. Usually, they're offered in April, May, September and October.

I never thought I'd enjoy a 1-day as much as I did, but I'm strongly considering doing a couple this fall just to try some different ships out.

I'm glad you and your DH enjoyed the cruise as well - it looked like everyone was having a blast as far as I could tell.

Aaron, I tried to post over at your blog, but no luck - so I'll post here.

First of all, thanks for the pics. I love the Rotterdam and I'm looking forward to your next installments. You mention that the Lanai cabins are the same square footage as the ocean view cabins. Do you mean the ocean view cabins on the Lower Promenade deck? From what I remember, the ocean view rooms on that deck are actually smaller in depth than the ocean view cabins on the 2 lower decks (ie, the cabin you showed above in your pictures - 1857). I was surprised how much smaller they were - however, with the addition of a glass door onto the deck, they'll feel much larger. A terrific addition to this ship.

Aaron, I tried to post over at your blog, but no luck - so I'll post here.

First of all, thanks for the pics. I love the Rotterdam and I'm looking forward to your next installments. You mention that the Lanai cabins are the same square footage as the ocean view cabins. Do you mean the ocean view cabins on the Lower Promenade deck? From what I remember, the ocean view rooms on that deck are actually smaller in depth than the ocean view cabins on the 2 lower decks (ie, the cabin you showed above in your pictures - 1857). I was surprised how much smaller they were - however, with the addition of a glass door onto the deck, they'll feel much larger. A terrific addition to this ship.

You're absolutely correct- the oceanview cabins on the promenade deck are slightly smaller than those located on the lower decks. I first noticed that a couple of years ago on a tour of the Statendam. I'll be sure to update the blog with that little addendum - like you say though, with the glass door they'll feel much larger and indeed are still as large or larger than balcony cabins on most competing lines.

Thanks for the catch and the kind words!

Your family will love the Rotterdam, and if you've never been in an S-Suite before, you're in for a treat. They're fantastic staterooms, and include access to the Neptune Lounge, which is for suite guests only. They've got excellent pastries, coffee, etc. there. We had an S-Suite on one cruise, and while I loved the room, I really missed that lounge on subsequent cruises!

I agree with you entirely. There were so many things to go and do and see that had this been my 10th time on the ship I could have easily spent my time only between the suite and the Neptune and been completely content.

However, I would have missed the Retreat, one of my other favorite new venues Mix, an amazing dinner in the Pinnacle and an incredible show called "It Takes Two."

The Neptune Lounge is best used in moderation... ;)

HAL has offered one-day cruises for some time, but you're absolutely correct - it's a fantastic way to try out a cruise line, and I wish more lines did it. Usually, they're offered in April, May, September and October.

I never thought I'd enjoy a 1-day as much as I did, but I'm strongly considering doing a couple this fall just to try some different ships out.

I'm glad you and your DH enjoyed the cruise as well - it looked like everyone was having a blast as far as I could tell.

Rotterdam has a 1 day this fall on September 18. Vancouver is DEFINITELY a full house with cruise ships upon arrival in Vancouver the next day on the 19th... Cruisett.com shows Norwegian Pearl, Celebrity Mercury, Rotterdam, Ryndam AND Statendam (no doubt split between Canada Place and Ballantyne though I have no idea of the pier assignments yet) but any possible pier chaos from over 8000 cruise guests will easily be made better just knowing you're out on the Retreat in a lounger in the water, getting some sun, a beer in your hand... :D

Rotterdam has a 1 day this fall on September 18. Vancouver is DEFINITELY a full house with cruise ships upon arrival in Vancouver the next day on the 19th... Cruisett.com shows Norwegian Pearl, Celebrity Mercury, Rotterdam, Ryndam AND Statendam (no doubt split between Canada Place and Ballantyne though I have no idea of the pier assignments yet) but any possible pier chaos from over 8000 cruise guests will easily be made better just knowing you're out on the Retreat in a lounger in the water, getting some sun, a beer in your hand... :D

Now that's going to be a busy day!

Absolutely fabulous !! Looks like the spa is in the bow of the ship facing forward ? I see some stairs heading up behind the ceramic loungers. Does that lead to the thelassotherapy pool? or the steam rooms? hmmmm... I need to hear good reviews that the area is up and running.... they probably did have it shut down for the one nighter...

The spa/thermal passes were very well used on my cruise (I got off the day this OP got on). I was touring the spa before we were even underway and the limited number of passes was already almost sold out.

I enjoyed Mix as well. It's a very slinky looking bar area and there are some pretty great drinks there. There was a devoted following to that area when I was onboard.

The retreat wasn't very well utilized on my cruise (which might be why there was a limited number of staff on the OP's cruise). However, I think this was because it was cold and the seas were rough, rough, rough. I thought it looked like it would be wonderful for lounging in hot weather. Kinda like cabanas that has spritzers to keep you cool. The pizza indeed was very yummy. I snacked on it often!

I had a lanai room in the middle of the deck. I loved it. I don't know that anything would make any of the rooms a poor choice though.

I am wondering if anyone else on this one day cruise had the following problem. Good friends were aboard and this is what happened to them.

They had dinner in the Main dining room. Had wine for dinner and signed the ticket.

When they received their statement there was a second charge for $24 dollars or so. My friend spent an hour in line at the front desk to have the charge they did not make taken off the bill. When she finally arrived at the desk the clerk researched the bill and then told her that charges under $25.00 did not have to be signed. They would not take the charge off their bill and they had to pay it.

This looks like very bad PR IMHO.

Wondering if I will have to be sure and sign all charges when we are on the Amsterdam this summer to eliminate this problem. Would probably make the help unhappy but thats life.

I had some mini bar charges last cruise that were wrongly charged and even talking to the front desk and 'having them removed' they actually were not. I simply called HAL when I got home and they credited me the $10 to my cc.

[quote name='caltnl']I am wondering if anyone else on this one day cruise had the following problem. Good friends were aboard and this is what happened to them.

They had dinner in the Main dining room. Had wine for dinner and signed the ticket.

When they received their statement there was a second charge for $24 dollars or so. My friend spent an hour in line at the front desk to have the charge they did not make taken off the bill. When she finally arrived at the desk the clerk researched the bill and then told her that charges under $25.00 did not have to be signed. They would not take the charge off their bill and they had to pay it.

This looks like very bad PR IMHO.

Wondering if I will have to be sure and sign all charges when we are on the Amsterdam this summer to eliminate this problem. Would probably make the help unhappy but thats life.[/quote]

I personally didn't have that problem, nor have I on any of my cruises.

However, it can happen - people make mistakes. Did the $24 charge say it was for wine, or did your friends buy a very expensive bottle, or leave a tip on the first one? It may have either been gratuity or maybe the 15% auto-tip - I'm not sure. $24 is a little excessive for either, but I have had situations where I've tipped extra - which appears as a second item on the bill, in most cases.

Just wondering - there've been times when I thought there was a mistake made on my bill, but upon further reflection, it's always turned out to be (sadly!) correct. If it's incorrect, have them contact HAL directly.

Hope your friends had a good time otherwise!

Archived