Transportation to NOLA Cruise Terminal

alwalaska

Hi! We are cruising March 2011 and the close hotels seem to be VERY pricey. If we decide to stay in Metairie, how much will a taxi cost us to get to the cruise port? Also, will there be public transportation (trolley or something) to go touring in the French Quarter, etc?

Hi! We are cruising March 2011 and the close hotels seem to be VERY pricey. If we decide to stay in Metairie, how much will a taxi cost us to get to the cruise port? Also, will there be public transportation (trolley or something) to go touring in the French Quarter, etc?

You might want to check out the Holiday Inn-Superdome. We are actually staying there this week for 2 nights prior to our cruise. We did get a pretty good "cruise" rate ($99 per night) and they provide free shuttles all around the French Quarter area and have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal also. I know there are also "cruise" specials at the Drury Inn, based on all the postings on this board. So, you might want to check these hotels out.

Sue

You might want to check out the Holiday Inn-Superdome. We are actually staying there this week for 2 nights prior to our cruise. We did get a pretty good "cruise" rate ($99 per night) and they provide free shuttles all around the French Quarter area and have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal also. I know there are also "cruise" specials at the Drury Inn, based on all the postings on this board. So, you might want to check these hotels out.

Sue

Thanks. I will have to call them and see. The cruise package does not show up on their web site. I found a good price with my entertainment book, but it says $19/day parking, which I think is worse than the cruise port.

Can you please post what you thought of it when you get back. I booked the Entertainment book rate while I could. I've read some less than great reviews on this hotel, so I'm a little nervous.

Alwalska - When are you coming in March? Mardi Gras is Tuesday, March 8 in 2011. If you are coming the weekend before you will pay top dollar for hotel rooms in town. It would be the same if you were coming on Sugar Bowl weekend, Essence Fest, Jazz Fest, NCAA tournaments, etc.

The French Quarter is very close to the port.

If you stay in Metairie, there is no easy way to get to the Quarter by public transportation. It can be done, but it would not be easy especially on the weekend when buses run on a more irregular schedule. It is two different bus lines (Jefferson Parish, then Orleans Parish) and it would be at least 3 transfers. I do not know the price of a cab - but I would guess $20 each way. I would ask at the hotel when you make a reservation. It may also be on the hotel's website. Take this into consideration when booking your room. (I just got back fom Ft. Lauderdale and their taxi prices were outrageous) Most hotels in Metairie do not charge for parking (but a few do). You will pay for parking in the city for most hotels, but the price will vary.

Also check the New Orleans threads under Ports of Call.

Alwalska - When are you coming in March? Mardi Gras is Tuesday, March 8 in 2011. If you are coming the weekend before you will pay top dollar for hotel rooms in town. It would be the same if you were coming on Sugar Bowl weekend, Essence Fest, Jazz Fest, NCAA tournaments, etc.

The French Quarter is very close to the port.

If you stay in Metairie, there is no easy way to get to the Quarter by public transportation. It can be done, but it would not be easy especially on the weekend when buses run on a more irregular schedule. It is two different bus lines (Jefferson Parish, then Orleans Parish) and it would be at least 3 transfers. I do not know the price of a cab - but I would guess $20 each way. I would ask at the hotel when you make a reservation. It may also be on the hotel's website. Take this into consideration when booking your room. (I just got back fom Ft. Lauderdale and their taxi prices were outrageous) Most hotels in Metairie do not charge for parking (but a few do). You will pay for parking in the city for most hotels, but the price will vary.

Also check the New Orleans threads under Ports of Call.

Thanks for all the info. We will be there March 19, 2011 and I don't think there is anything going on that I can find on the web. I will definitely balance taxi vs parking costs. Thanks again. I will look at the Ports of Calls. I didn't think of that.

• 1 month later...

You should look at the hotel post for New Orleans. There is some very good discussion. We are cruising in December and have booked at Drury. It is very nice and walking distance to most places. They have a cruise special that is not on the internet. The parking for the night of our stay and our 7 day cruise is $35. We stayed there the night before our cruise in March 2009.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived