Greece last week

renebfl

I visited Santorini, Mykonos,and Athens. I was surprised how hot it was already in Greece. Can't imagine the heat in another month. Athens had not problems. We did a private tour. Drove by the places of the recent deaths and riots in Athens. Area was very quite. Really have to be able to climb to visit these ports to their fullest. I was glad I didn't wait for the latter years to visit in case of mobility issues. One couple we shared our private tour with could not participate for about 30 minutes due to the climbing in Santorini. Greece was great to see, but once was enough.

thank you for your report! We will be visiting Athens, Rhodes and Gythion in Greece next year, but good to hear that things are ok for travelers so far. So exactly how close do they get you to the sites in Athens before you have to climb up? Is it all stairs or is it like a trail that winds up to them?

There were no deals like I thought since the govenment is having such a difficult time. Tour guide said the taxes on things make the shop keepers have high prices. You can see the acropolis from a distance, but the winding trail leads up to the buildings then there are steeper stairs . In Sanotirini,the shopping area is hilly once you get off the cable car.

I visited Santorini, Mykonos,and Athens. I was surprised how hot it was already in Greece. Can't imagine the heat in another month.

Here in the south east Med we had an early summer heatwave last week. It's entirely possible that the weather you experienced was part of the same weather system. The temperatures we had were more in keeping with very late June or early July, certainly not typical May weather.

This week is significantly cooler (mid 70s rather than mid 90s), thought with unseasonably strong winds. Whatever the weather system is it is still making itself known.

So, if you come back later next year you shouldn't find the temperatures to be much higher than you had this year.

Hope you had a good cruise,

Mands

Archived