Train to berlin questions

I'll be on the Norwegian Sun in August and was wondering how far is it from where the ship docks to the train station? Walking distance, how much was the cab ride, etc? What is the best stop to get off at in Berlin? Thanks for your help.

Melinda

I'll be on the Norwegian Sun in August and was wondering how far is it from where the ship docks to the train station? Walking distance, how much was the cab ride, etc? What is the best stop to get off at in Berlin? Thanks for your help.

Melinda

Does this picture answer your question???

2010RostockWarnemuendeA11-vi.jpg

I am afraid the taxi driver will refuse to give you a ride...

2009Berlin2009007-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

We'll be taking the train from Warnemunde to Berlin mid-July. Can anyone tell us at which Berlin train station we'll arrive? Does the train go to more than one station in the city? Thanks for any help you can provide. We'll be meeting relatives for the few hours we are there, and would like to let them know.

AECrowell

Reno, Nevada

We'll be taking the train from Warnemunde to Berlin mid-July. Can anyone tell us at which Berlin train station we'll arrive? Does the train go to more than one station in the city? Thanks for any help you can provide. We'll be meeting relatives for the few hours we are there, and would like to let them know.

AECrowell

Reno, Nevada

Subject you are going independently by public trains:

on ICE InterCityExpress High Speed Trains:

Berlin Gesundbrunnen

Berlin Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

Berlin Südkreuz

on RE Regional Express:

Berlin Gesundbrunnen

Berlin Hbf

Berlin Potsdamer Platz

Berlin Südkreuz

Berlin-Lichterfelde Ost

Subject you are going on a ship's train:

varies from cruise line to cruise line

Berlin Gesundbrunnen

or

Berlin-Lichtenberg

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

Sorry I wasn't clear. We will be purchasing the train trip to Berlin through Holland America, so it looks as though it will be one of the two stations you listed (Gesundbrunnen or Berlin-Lichtenberg) and that we may not know ahead of time!

Thank you very much for helping us!

AECrowell

Hello:

We will be three on the Eurodam beginning July9.

We would like to get into to Berlin. How long is the trip by train and what is the typical cost.

Do you reccomend going on our own to tour?

I assume the U-Bahn is still the best way to get around Berlin!?

Does it pay to arrange for a tour or guide once we get to berlin? If yes do you reccomend anyone. Are the trains direct or do you need to change? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for all your help.

Norman

Mobile AL

Hello:

We would like to get into to Berlin. How long is the trip by train and what is the typical cost.

Does it pay to arrange for a tour or guide once we get to berlin? If yes do you reccomend anyone. Are the trains direct or do you need to change? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Norman

Mobile AL

That's so bad...

Normally EURODAM calls Warnemünde and there is a direct train on Saturday from Warnemünde to Berlin but not on July 10 because EURODAM will call Rostock Seaport instead and because it's a Saturday the early ICE InterCity Express High Speed Train does not depart at 06.58 hrs which is perfect for HAL-ship's early arrival.

So the itinerary is somehow stupid as there is a longer transit time in Rostock:

The train station is just two blocks away from the pier:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/03/rostock-seaport-germany-getting-around.html

(This site is currently under construction as I need to update some pictures so do not wonder the current view looks a little confusing... but in few days you can visit it again)

dep 07.06 from Rostock Seehafen Nord on S3 commuter train

arr 07.24 at Rostock Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

(sorry - but on this Saturday you need to wait 1.10 hrs for your connection)

dep 08.24 from Rostock Hbf

arr 11.15 in Berlin Hbf

dep 18.44 from Berlin Hbf

arr 21.23 in Rostock Hbf

dep 21.34 from Rostock Hbf

arr 21.52 in Rostock Seehafen Nord

You should know that NORMALLY it should work and German trains are very punctual in a range of 5-10 minutes tolerance...

but you should also know that the commuter trains do not wait for other trains in case. 11 minutes should not be the problem. Min. transit time is 5 minutes.

So be prepared that you might need a taxi just in case you missed the connection in Rostock - or if you feel safer exactly two hours earlier.

(All other EURODAM calls allow a stay of about 9 hours on the direct trains from/back to Warnemünde on a Weekday but you are there on a Saturday - sorry...)

If you decide to take the train:

37.00 EUR for a group of 5... for all day (outward and return)

The best would be to buy the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (Happy-Weekend-Ticket) online:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/warnemunde-kiel-lubeck-hamburg-germany.html

The ticket machine at Rostock Seehafen Nord does not make the best appearance and you need cash.

But online: no changes - no refund. You can also do it from the internet cafe onboard.

You just arrive in the heart of Berlin.

That might be a typical walking tour:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/berlin-germany-walking-and-public.html

Your 37.00 EUR tickets includes the use of commuter-trains (S-Bahn), subway (U-Bahn), trams and buses in Berlin which is the best way to move around in Berlin.

But if you feel more comfortable to have a personal guide:

Here is a link to the association of licensed Berlin tour guides:

http://www.berlin-guide.org/

See more on my blogs:

http://www.heinbloed-on-line.de

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

Sorry I wasn't clear. We will be purchasing the train trip to Berlin through Holland America, so it looks as though it will be one of the two stations you listed (Gesundbrunnen or Berlin-Lichtenberg) and that we may not know ahead of time!

Thank you very much for helping us!

AECrowell

I asked for you with German Railways:

like on June 12 it would be

arrival in Berlin 09.35 hrs in Berlin-LICHTENBERG

departure in Berlin 18.06 hrs in Berlin GESUNDBRUNNEN

different stations of arrival and departure!!!

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinbloeb :

Thank you verey much.

Will we be there on the Eurodam Sat July 10th early enough to get such an early train?

Might we be better taking the cruise ship train? I have heard about it but have seen no specifics.

Also what about the tour agency that picks you up and brings you back? Any thoughts on those? The train is still my first choice.

Vielan Danke

Norman

Mobile AL

Heinbloeb :

Thank you verey much.

Will we be there on the Eurodam Sat July 10th early enough to get such an early train?

Might we be better taking the cruise ship train? I have heard about it but have seen no specifics.

Also what about the tour agency that picks you up and brings you back? Any thoughts on those? The train is still my first choice.

Vielan Danke

Norman

Mobile AL

Always a question of budget and comfort and personal preferences.

1. Big budget / less interests to organize / not willing to transfer:

book a private tour company...

Just go up and use the "search this thread" function with Berlin and you get many many suggestions with tour companies picking you up and bringing you back to the ship after the tour.

2. MId-size budget / mid-size interests to organize / mid-size willing to transfer:

book the ship's train and do Berlin on your own...

3. Low budget / no problem to organize / full acceptance to make transfers

DIY for 37.00 EUR for 5 persons - it's unbeatable.

Regards

from Berlin (currently)

HeinBloed

Hello:

If this is on your "must do" list, written in stone, I'd suggest a pre-arranged independent tour (guide, car, and driver) that will meet you at the train station in Berlin.

Norman

Mobile AL

Consider this:

A full day trip to Berlin (from Baltic port) is a very long and exhausting day. The train is not air conditioned and it can be very hot....approx. 3 hours each direction. The HAL tour takes the same train as an independent traveler. Berlin can be in the 90's in summer. Even with a long, extended port day, the most you will have is a whirlwind tour of Berlin....probably from inside a bus with a few very short stops. Add on time for meals and bathroom stops.

If this is on your "must do" list, written in stone (and there is no chance of ever having an opportunity to spend a few days in Berlin), I'd suggest a pre-arranged independent tour (guide, car, and driver) that will meet you at the train station, spend the day with you, and drop you at the train for your return. If you are somewhat familiar with Berlin, or speak German, using the public bus system is an excellent way to see the city and get around.

HeinBloed, thank you for your answer of May 21 (which I just saw). I must admit, different train stations for arrival and departure had not occurred to us! By the way, we will be travelling to Berlin on a Tuesday, July 20th, from the Eurodam. We are very excited to have even a limited visit with our cousins (who live in Ravensburg). It may be difficult to make this work! Thank you for so much for your very helpful advice.

AECrowell

Reno, Nevada

HeinBloed, thank you for your answer of May 21 (which I just saw). I must admit, different train stations for arrival and departure had not occurred to us! By the way, we will be travelling to Berlin on a Tuesday, July 20th, from the Eurodam. We are very excited to have even a limited visit with our cousins (who live in Ravensburg). It may be difficult to make this work! Thank you for so much for your very helpful advice.

AECrowell

Reno, Nevada

The best would be:

once you are in the train:

Lichtenberg is far away from CityCenter.

So they will transfer you by bus to a central point in Berlin.

Ask them where exactly:

I guess it would be Gendarmenmarkt (heared from other cruisers).

If they confirm: call your relatives: they still have three hours time to find the right position.

If you meet at Gendarmenmarkt: the stairway in front of the Konzerthaus (Music Hall) will be the best place to meet.

2009Berlin2009121-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Is the main train station close to one of the hop on hop off pick up points?

If not how far of a walk?

Any reccomendations on the best HOHO operators, and is the cruise worth the time if we only have one day?

Thanks

Norman

Mobile AL

Is the main train station close to one of the hop on hop off pick up points?

If not how far of a walk?

Any reccomendations on the best HOHO operators, and is the cruise worth the time if we only have one day?

Thanks

Norman

Mobile AL

Berlin06EGHbf3-vi.jpg

If you exit to WASHINGTONPLATZ and just cross the square in front and stop at the street adjustant:

Like here:

2009BerlinHoHoBVG69-vi.jpg

There is no fixed bus stop so the buses stop like here:

2009BerlinHoHoBVG66-vi.jpg

My favourite would be this company BVG because I like live-comments in English/German and not just headsets... YOU CAN ASK that's what I like.

But only every 30 minutes.

Others offers every 15 minutes.

Just google "Stadtrundfahrt Berlin". Most of the operators have also English websites.

Personal suggestion:

if you walk 15-25 minutes you just can walk to Reichstag:

Berlin10Waspl4-vi.jpg

You see it from Washingtonplatz (Washington Square) if you watch forward (a little left).

After seeing this you walk next one block right to Brandenburg Gate:

2009BerlinHoHoBVG58-vi.jpg

If you see Bradenburg Gate from this angle:

here is the bus stop for ALL companies.

So check the schedule there which one offers the best itinerary for you, price and type of comments.

Two other options:

you do not like to walk:

On the left side of Washington Square there is bus M85 towards Lichterfelde Süd which takes you in few minutes as well to Reichstag.

or you take the subway U55 to Brandenburg Gate

2009BerlinN080101-vi.jpg

Find white U in blue square around track 7-8 in central station to get to the subway. You are in 3 minutes at Brandenburg Gate.

Your ride for subway or bus are included in Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin or Schönes Wochenende-Ticket.

Here are some impressions from my HoHo-Bus tour:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/04/berlin-germany-hoho-bus-bvg-berlin.html

If you are interested to do: just do one for 45 minutes - 1 hour in the inner city part. No 3-4 hours. Too much.

Best to board around Friedrichstraße - Museums Island.

Regards

HeinBloed

An alternative could be City Circle Tour (headsets in 8 languages). Runs every 15min/30min

It did not stop exactly in front of main train station but somewhere on the field nearby. This picture of the central station was taken from the bus.

Ber05.jpg

Ber04.jpg

And in Berlin there is no lack of alternatives:

Ber06.jpg

Ber07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heinblod:

I have found the site to buy my pass, but was wondering if the pass locks you into the train you select or can you take an earlier or later train?

The 37 Euro is a GREAT price for the train and transportation in Berlin.

Thanks for all your help it is fantastic!!

Heinblod:

I have found the site to buy my pass, but was wondering if the pass locks you into the train you select or can you take an earlier or later train?

The 37 Euro is a GREAT price for the train and transportation in Berlin.

Thanks for all your help it is fantastic!!

You can take ANY regional train:

as the train goes every two hours between Rostock and Berlin -

yes you can go two hours earlier or later as you want.

It's a day pass: so you are NOT committed to use a certain train. It's just an option to buy the pass but you are not stucked on this connection.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

Since the day we arrive in Rostock( July 10) there is no quick train to Berlin and we must wait one hour in Rostock, would it be wise to wait a bit longer on the ship and take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Rostcok central to get the train to Berlin iinstead of waiting in Rostock on Sat morning? I do have the "good weekend" pass. Anything to do in Rostock for an hour?

Thank you

Norman

Alabama

Since the day we arrive in Rostock( July 10) there is no quick train to Berlin and we must wait one hour in Rostock, would it be wise to wait a bit longer on the ship and take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Rostcok central to get the train to Berlin iinstead of waiting in Rostock on Sat morning? I do have the "good weekend" pass. Anything to do in Rostock for an hour?

Thank you

Norman

Alabama

Subject you are using bus/tram-combo to the train station: You can leave the tram at Steintor stop and walk over to New Market and take some pictures before you continue with a later tram to the train station.

There is not so much to see and do around central station.

Just having breakfast.

So if your budget allows: take a taxi.

"Zum Hauptbahnhof bitte"...

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks -that is exactly what i need to know. We will eat a longer brekfast and take a taxi.

How much time to allow to get there? Where do we get the Taxis at the cruise terminal?

Have a good breakfast!!

Norman

Alabama

I estimate it would be around 20-25 EUR and it would take about 20-25 minutes...

The only question I cannot tell: number of taxis as there are only 1-2 sailings per year and no idea how it works then:

Following suggestion:

before you go on breakfast you see from the open decks if you see taxis there around...

if yes you go and have breakfast...

if no you better go down and take public transport...

But I am sure that the taxis will not let the business go as the transport infrastructure is much more worse than in Warnemünde and more will need a taxi.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived