A day in Boston....

SoCal09

Any advise on what to do with a rental car on the day we arrive back in Boston? We get off the ship in the morning and the flight out is at 6 pm. We were thinking of either Concord or Cape Ann... What do you think?

Any advise on what to do with a rental car on the day we arrive back in Boston? We get off the ship in the morning and the flight out is at 6 pm. We were thinking of either Concord or Cape Ann... What do you think?
Go to Cape Ann, visit Rockport, and grab some seafood to eat.

Driving in and out of Boston is not for the faint of heart.

Why not skip the rental and explore Boston itself via subway and on foot?

The traffic can be horrendous going in and out of the city and I'd hate for you to miss your flight.

...but I'm from L.A. so I am used to traffic! We are doing the Freedom Trail the day before the cruise. Could it be that bad driving out of the city for a few hours and then getting back to the airport?

It looks like you are doing this on a Friday in June? Bad idea.

If you get off the ship by 9 am, you have to get downtown or over to Logan Airport to rent the car. Probably won't be on the road until 10 am. Cape Ann is an hour away and Concord is about 1/2 hour. For a 6 pm flight you should be back at the airport by 4. On a Friday you have to allow extra time, so you really have to aim for 3 pm. I also don't think it is worth the stress and hassle.

Is the real problem your luggage? If you buy a water taxi pass for $25/pp, they will pick you up at the port, take you to Rowe's Wharf to store your luggage, and arrange a time to take you back across the harbor to the airport. It is an all day pass, so you can use the water taxi to go all over the harbor like over to the Constitution.

I would head to Lexington or Concord for the day. Lots of little shops in Concord and places for a nice lunch. See some of the historic sites and then head back to the airport for your flight. Friday afternoon traffic does start early so give yourself plenty of time.

Cape Ann is another good idea but you will need to head back even earlier since you will be that much farther away. If you are headed that way, I would try to find out about construction. I know I got stuck just sitting for over a 1/2 hour because of paving.

Boston traffic can be challenging but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I have driven extensively in both Boston and LA and both are pains in the butt. I would not add the hassle of driving after the cruise, plenty to do right in the city. But, if you want to get away Rockport used to be one of our favorite places to visit. Not sure if it is still the way it was years back but my guess is that it is. Enjoy the area it is a great place to visit.

...but I'm from L.A. so I am used to traffic! We are doing the Freedom Trail the day before the cruise. Could it be that bad driving out of the city for a few hours and then getting back to the airport?

LA streets make sense, in grids (etc), Boston streets are whacked, some cobblestones, most under some sort or construction or pot holed, turns and dead ends that baffle hardened Bostonians.. I've driven them for 35 years.. good luck..;)

Thanks everyone for the great input. The water taxi idea sounds like lots of fun. I still think going to Rockport would be doable...get the car and hit the road by 10am, get there at 11, have lunch and look around, drive around a little and head back at 3 or so... is the drive up to Cape Ann or the drive to Concord scenic? Thanks again....

I live next to Concord and I have been to Rockport many many times. Neither drive is particularly "scenic" until you get close to your destination, if then. Most of the drive is interstate highway, route 128, or route 2. IMO 3 pm is way too late to leave Rockport to drive to Boston on a Friday afternoon for a 6 pm flight. Mapquest puts the time to Rockport at one hour. You need extra time to return your car at Logan plus allow for bumper to bumper traffic trying to get to Boston. You're not familiar with the roads and won't know how to get around any traffic issues.

Concord would probably be an easier destination. Concord offers the National Historical Park with the North Bridge, Concord Museum, Alcott House, Emerson House, and Walden Pond. Downtown is small with some cute, unusual stores. You can also drive the Battle Road and stop at other National Park sites.

I think you're right... we really don't have enough time...too bad... I like the water taxi idea. It sounds the easiest and we can see some good sights too! Thanks a lot for your input. We're from L.A. and we're really looking forward to Bermuda...never been there. I've been to Boston a couple of times, a long time ago..had a great time.

Rowes Wharf Water Transport

ct_rowes_trans.jpg

Rowes Wharf Water Transport provides year-round passenger water transportation throughout Boston Harbor waterfront, including exclusive water taxi service between Rowes Wharf/Boston Harbor Hotel and Logan International Airport. Our boats are covered, comfortable, heated, and fully upholstered. We offer a wide variety of vessels, group and advance sale discounts, free luggage storage at Rowes Wharf, and direct service to the following destinations:

• Rowes Wharf / Boston Harbor Hotel (Downtown Financial District)
  • Logan Airport and the nearby Hyatt Harborside and Hilton Hotels
  • Black Falcon Cruise Terminal
  • Anthony's Pier 4 and No Name Restaurant
  • Bank of America Pavilion in South Boston
  • Barking Crab
  • Battery Wharf
  • Boston Harbor Islands
  • Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina
  • Boston Yacht Haven Marina
  • Battery Wharf in the North End
  • Burroughs Wharf in the North End
  • Central Wharf (New England Aquarium)
  • Chelsea Yacht Club
  • Constitution Marina
  • Fan Pier / Moakley Federal Courthouse on the Fort Point Channel
  • Flagship Wharf
  • JFK Library
  • Joe's American Bar & Grill
  • Lewis Wharf in the North End
  • Lovejoy Wharf serving North Station and the Bank North Garden
  • Pier 4 in Charlestown serving the USS Constitution and the Navy Yard
  • Russia Wharf
  • Sargent’s Wharf
  • Shipyard Quarters Marina/Pier 8
  • Tavern On The Water
  • Tudor Wharf and the Marriott Residence Inn
  • Waterboat Marina
  • Winthrop
  • World Trade Center West in the South Boston Waterfront, serving the Seaport Hotel and the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Institute of Contemporary Art, and Bay State Cruises Dock (Provincetown Boat)
  • Yacht Haven Marina

Rowes Wharf Water Transport operates year-round.

Hours of Operation:

April 2 through November 1

• Seven days a week - 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. After hours service is available by reservation.

November 2 through April 1

• Seven days a week - 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. After hours service is available by reservation.

Fares: The standard adult fare is $10.00 per passenger one-way or $17 round-trip. Tickets are sold on board the boat.

From Logan Airport: If a water taxi is not present at the Logan dock, call Rowes Wharf Water Transport at (617) 406-8584 or use the call box in front of the pavilion to summon a water taxi vessel.

To Logan Airport: Hail a Rowes Wharf Water Transport boat as you would a land taxi by calling (617) 406-8584 or see the concierge at your hotel.

For more information visit, www.roweswharfwatertransport.com.

DW and I are disembarking Jewel of the Seas transatlantic in Boston on 18 September and are staying at a hotel overnight before flying home out of Logan at 7:45pm Sunday. Have just taken out a flexible reservation for us to stay at Doubletree Bayside and wondered if you could offer your opinion as to its location for us to make the most of the time we have available. Saturday we plan to go directly to the hotel from the ship, drop off our luggage at reception and head off to pick up the Boston trolley tour (think I read somewhere the trolley stops close by the hotel but I'm not sure). Sunday we may walk the freedom trail and harbour area time permitting.

Any comments or suggestions based on your local knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles

Please don't stay at the Doubletree unless all else fails. The location is super inconvenient unless you are just doing the JFK Library. There is nothing much around the hotel except the Bayside Expo Convention Center. You will probably not feel comfortable walking to the hotel at night and it's not an area where you can just hail a cab.

Having said all that, look at Hotwire for Sept 18. I am seeing two of our favorite hotels for that date. The $139 4* hotel in Waterfront is most likely the Westin, which is only a few blocks from the Black Falcon Terminal. The trolley has a stop there. The $142 3 1/2* hotel in Back Bay is most likely the Sheraton, which would also be within walking distance of a trolley stop, but would be a longer cab ride from the pier. The big difference between the properties is that there is nothing much at the Westin, but there are some restaurants in the area. Very safe, but not a lot of action. Also close to the pier, airport, "T", and downtown. The Sheraton is close to the restaurants and shops at the Prudential Center and Copley Place as well as Newbury St. More things are open here in the evening. Also very safe with "T" access, but a bit more out of the way in Back Bay instead of downtown.

Hotels are expensive in Boston and these are two good deals - you should seriously consider them.

We got a room at the Westin for $125 on priceline (I wish I had offered less!) for next week 5/27, the night before we leave for bermuda. I think its a pretty good deal. We fly-in in the afternoon, and the next morning we are going to walk the freedom trail before we board in the afternoon on the 28th.

Luggage storage is big in Boston - we get this question sometimes from folks who have late flights from Logan. If you were to take a cab from Black Falcon to Fanueil Hall and then Fanueil Hall to Logan, it would be in the $50 range for 2 people anyway. The only other option for luggage storage may be the 5th floor of the bus station, but that is less convenient to the typical Boston destinations.

Archived