Quicky review of Pacific Sun Tahitian Treasures

Hi all

Picked mum and dad up at the airport last night on the return from their Pacific Sun Tahitian Treasures cruise.

To sum it up in five words - they had a great time.

They visited every port they were supposed to although one of the Tahiti days was shorter than on the original schedule - no dinner ashore much to the annoyance of a number of guests.

Service was great from everyone except a young English guy (my parents are English so no flaming!) in the shop where you can buy lollies etc. Mum reckoned he'd gotten out of the wrong side of the bed every time they had occasion to visit the shop.

Food was good although a number of previous P&O cruises told mum and dad this food certainly wasn't 'up there' compared to previous trips. Mum and dad had no complaints.

Amazingly they ate every meal except one in the Bordeaux (?) restaurant - breakfast and dinner. They had one dinner in the steakhouse that they said was first class.

Never went near the buffet or the Oasis. Was surprised that they didn't go up and have a look at the Oasis but they said they had too much to do! Had been warned off the buffet restaurant. Just stuck their heads in once but kept going. They're not into jostling with crowds and standing in buffet lines. Much easier to sit at a table and have the food brought to them.

Took only ship's shore excursions - they needed a decent amount of assistance, mum especially getting in and out of buses, a long boat (yes!) and on and off tenders. They enjoyed all of them. The highlight was one where they visited a school and then sat in church (I think) with the kids while they sang. Mum said she had tears running down her face it was so beautiful.

Dad's description of the ship was it was 'a bit tired'. He reckoned it was a bit more country motel than city hotel. He made me laugh when he said it was a bit of a floating retirement village, especially considering mum and dad are 79 and nearly 87!:D

They met some wonderful people and ended up sitting with the same people at the same table every night for dinner.

One thing they, and apparently a number of others, said was that the itinerary could have been planned better. They visited two ports on Sunday and one on a public holiday. For any of you who have visited/stayed on a Pacific island on a Sunday, there was virtually nothing to do apart from visit a church. Dad reckoned when combined with the number of sea days a slight rejig of the itinerary could have meant being at sea on the Sundays instead.

All in all, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Now I'll see if I can talk them into Sun Princess out of Brisbane (it is Sun isn't it?) for a week or 10 days if I can snag them another bargain. Just to show them the 'city hotel' side of cruising of course:). If only Volendam would do some round trips from Brisbane...

Just noticed a question about the Captain in undertones' thread. Mum and dad both made a comment that he was particular by his absence. They also made a comment about there being no captain's cocktail party. Would this be true? Seems odd. Apart from a talk that the captain gave, they said that was the one and only time they saw or heard from him. We saw our's constantly on all three of our previous cruises.

They also made special mention of the tour staff, their cabin attendant, their waiter, P&O's head chef (not sure about this one) who was apparently on board who they met and chatted to, someone in the spa who gave mum a massage.

The list was long of memorable staff. They didn't stop talking from the moment I met them at the airport gate to when they (finally) went to bed and then they started again this morning.

We are so happy they had such a great time as all three of us kids received post cards after their first port call and they didn't seem that 'up'. Turns out it was just my mum's matter of fact writing style.

pete

All in all, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Pleased to hear that Pete.

Isn't that what a cruise is all about.:)

Sometimes I think we can get a bit too critical and forget the excitement of our first cruise on a ship.

Much easier to sit at a table and have the food brought to them.

SSSHHHH!! Don't say that in a public Forum!! :) Otherwise the great unwashed may read it and spoil our otherwise nice and leisurely lunches in the Dining Room!! :p

As for Captain's Cocktail Party - I "think" that is only now done for repeat passengers??

Barry

Hi Pete

I am glad your parents enjoyed the cruise. I remember you were concerned for a while about the Pacific Sun.

I agree about eating in the dining room, my husband wasn't keen initially on eating in the dining room, he was keen just to do the buffet. But once on board when he saw how good it was he always wanted to eat in the dining room. What is the point of piling so much food on your plate, when there is always another meal coming. We all enjoyed having nicely presented meals.

Leanne

Thanks everyone,

We were concerned leading up to the cruise and were so happy they had a good time.

I'm guessing my parents might have been amongst the people that so amused Intl_Academic. What a bizarre review.

I love to people watch, possibly more than some, but not in the judgemental, supercilious and pretentious way that our esteemed academic did and obviously does. Maybe he/she is a sociologist or an anthropologist.

His/her comments point to an appalling lack of research, especially considering the long list of five star resorts stayed at previously. Rhapsody or Volendam might have been a better first cruise, at least from a ship perspective, but chances are the same 'class' of Aussies have been aboard.

If the condescending comments about fellow passengers had been taken out of the review it would have been pretty funny. As it was, I read it, and thought they are the things you might think but should never write or say aloud.

I am hoping the review was actually a piss take but I really don't think so. My parents also commented on the number of very big people on board but they don't live in a glass house so also added "I bet people watched us and thought what a couple of doddering oldies":D.

Big, small, short tall, fit, infirm, the people all had a common goal - to have a great time on a Pacific cruise. I hope most had the great time my parents did even if it involved over eating, over drinking, over analysing or under researching or none of the above, instead just relaxing and chilling out.

At least my folks are walking stick and frameless. Thank heavens for small mercies:rolleyes:

cheers

pete

cheers

pete

I was on the cruise before your parents, and on that cruise poeple were complaining about the man in the small kiosk which sells lollies etc... I even heard someone complain about him at the pursers desk. he is not the most friendliest person on board thats for sure.

If the condescending comments about fellow passengers had been taken out of the review it would have been pretty funny. As it was, I read it, and thought they are the things you might think but should never write or say aloud. pete

Yes, I was enjoying the review until reading that part. Not nice to put it in print. After all, we all have our faults! :eek:

Yes, even me! :rolleyes: (Sorry, couldn't resist that! :D)

Thanks everyone,

I love to people watch, possibly more than some, but not in the judgemental, supercilious and pretentious way that our esteemed academic did and obviously does. Maybe he/she is a sociologist or an anthropologist.

cheers

pete

cheers

pete

Hi pete, I'm waiting for the obese family (or 'gargantuan' as Intl Academic calls them) to write their own review. ;)

It would probably say .....'had a great time except for being stalked by this creepy person who kept watching our every move and scrutinising the contents of our plates at the buffet'. :D

Jenny

LOL at Jenny

We've been on Pac Sun 3 times in 2 years & just enjoyed the cruise each time without expectations or preconceptions. Yes, even on a 3 star ship we felt spoilt....and we've also sailed on Princess & Celebrity

Archived