Last-Minute St.Petersburg? Sailing in 11 Days!

So we booked our Baltic cruise kind of on a whim at the last minute, and now we're facing the question of what to do on our day in St.Petersburg. Normally we would just get a visa and explore on our own, but the cost of the visa was prohibitively expensive for just one day in port. Then I was thinking we would just do the Denrus group tour. However, they have a 30-day cut-off for booking, so they said no.

Does anyone have suggestions for last-minute options? Short of booking a cruiseline excursion? We'll probably go back to St.Petersburg at some point, so I'm not too concerned about seeing everything on one day, but I want to feel like we got a semi-decent value for the money we'll have to spend. Could we still track down a private guide that could take care of the visa issue and just explore a few of the downtown sights via metro/taxi with us?

Also, which sights are the better options if we have to do a group tour? I'm inclined to save the Hermitage for another trip, since I feel like art museums are best savored at your own pace and targeting your individual tastes and interests.

We've scraped together a dozen visas for various cruises, but I've really dropped the ball this time. :(

Start contacting tour companies TODAY. I am not sure if there is a minimum number of days they have to turn your name in to the Russian government in order to cover you under their blanket visa. We booked quick last year but not 11 days. Wow! You're my kind of people - travel by the seat of your pants!

Masha had great turn around last year - I made my first contact about a month before the trip and had lots and lots of back and forth communication before we booked. Still made it in plenty of time. Her website has both a 1 day tour option laid out and something she calls "Off the Beaten Path". If you plan to return and are not interested in seeing the Hermitage this time around there might be something interesting there for you too. Otherwise I would say a city tour, inside at least 1 cathedral (probably Spilled Blood) and a visit to either Catherine's Palace or Peterhof would take up most of your one day. The choice of those 2 really depends on the weather and if you prefer magnificent gardens (Peterhof) or magnificent interiors (Catherine's Palace with the Amber Room). You can't go wrong either way. If you can also fit in Peter and Paul's Fortress or Yusapov's Palace you will have a very, very full day.

Enjoy!

So we booked our Baltic cruise kind of on a whim at the last minute, and now we're facing the question of what to do on our day in St.Petersburg. Does anyone have suggestions for last-minute options? Short of booking a cruiseline excursion? We'll probably go back to St.Petersburg at some point, so I'm not too concerned about seeing everything on one day, but I want to feel like we got a semi-decent value for the money we'll have to spend. Could we still track down a private guide that could take care of the visa issue and just explore a few of the downtown sights via metro/taxi with us? Also, which sights are the better options if we have to do a group tour? I'm inclined to save the Hermitage for another trip, since I feel like art museums are best savored at your own pace and targeting your individual tastes and interests.

Agree strongly with sbhdmh on contacting all of the major firms, asking "mercy", begging a little and maybe you'll get lucky on something coming together. I would also check on the roll call for your cruise to see what's possible. Don't give up on the Hermitage. It's not just a "museum". It's a spectacular group of five different buildings that were real PALACES!!! There are also nice view of St. Petersburg from their windows on the second floor, etc. Contact those different folks personally and see what works. They have people canceling, etc. Good luck!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I am not sure if they can do anything so quickly, but you may want to try TJ Travel in St Petersburg for a one day excursion. There are several groups on our upcoming cruise roll call that are going to be using them. Their email is: traveltospb@gmail.com and they are very quick to get back with you.

On their website they list some of the different one day tours they offer, however I am not sure how far in advance you have to book. (Just google TJ Travel St Petersburg). They have a link for cruise passengers on the front page. The itineraries are flexible, as the person who organized our upcoming tour with them added some different things in our day.

We will be taking the Vision as well when we go on our Baltics cruise!

Have a fun trip. Wish it was us, but we still have a few months to go!

would agree about checking your ships roll call to see if any places left-our tour operator indicated she could add people up to a week before as long as you can get your passport details etc back to her and you can then print off the forms for your "visa free travel"

best of luck

Lyn

Don't give up on the Hermitage. It's not just a "museum". It's a spectacular group of five different buildings that were real PALACES!!! There are also nice view of St. Petersburg from their windows on the second floor, etc.

Do you think the Hermitage would be a rush to fit into a port day? From what I've read, it's a ½ day to a full day visit. We spent about 6 hours at the Uffizi and probably around 6 or 7 at the Louvre. So I hesitate to try to do someplace similar with a group/guide.

Do you think the Hermitage would be a rush to fit into a port day? From what I've read, it's a ½ day to a full day visit. We spent about 6 hours at the Uffizi and probably around 6 or 7 at the Louvre. So I hesitate to try to do someplace similar with a group/guide.

We did an early admission to the Hermitage at 9:30 am and finished about noon (with lunch on the square in front of the Palace). We didn't feel rushed and did all of the key highlights we had sought. I've done the Uffize, Lourve, NYC Met, London National Gallery, Munich, Vienna, etc., etc. If you have the right tour/guide in a small group, it is amazing what ALL you can see and enjoy in a fairly short and manageable time period. Below are a few of the visual samples for the spectacular interiors that are there. Plus, looking outside from the Hermitage. Two of our four people did lots of pictures and one person had a gimpy hip. For a great and large place, you'll be pleased on what all you can see, experience and do. If you do the Hermitage and the key Cathedrals and places in central St. Petersburg, that probably means that you won't be able to see the Peterhof and Catherine's Palace. Lots of options. Have you written to Anastasia and other key tour folks?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is the gallery of Generals from Russia’s famed history:

1A-StP-HermitageGen.jpg

Viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces at the Hermitage. There are only 17 such painting by this artist existing in the world:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Examing one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes more than just paintings:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

From the Hermitage, seeing the Naval Museum, Rostral Columns:

1A-StP-WaterBldgfromHermt.jpg

Try contacting Alla's tours among others. We were able to join the group of 6 last summer with Alla's tours contacting them first time 15 days before arrival. We had our tour tickets printed and ready 4 days later. I beleive it was the cancellation by another couple that made our joining in possible.

There is so much to see in St Petersburg you really have to decide what is most important to you. Sadly you can't do it all, especially if you have only 1 day.

DH is an art professor and the Hermitage was on the top of his "I hope to see but doubt I will ever get the opportunity" list. To see the museum fully could take a week - even if you spent your entire time in St Petersburg visiting just the Hermitage you wouldn't see it all. Spending the whole day there would mean not seeing anything else and there is really so much to see. I guess the decision is giving up the Hermitage, giving up everything else or spending an abbreviated time at the Hermitage and seeing some other highlights as well. It depends on your interests.

You can probably do a 2-3 hour visit to the Hermitage if you skip Peterhof or Catherine's Palace. Both are a distance from the city and take about that amount of time for transport and tour. We hired a second guide for part of day 2 so that DH could spend most of the day at the Russian Museum and Hermitage while the rest of the group visited Catherine's Palace and had about 2 hours at the Hermitage. I would have liked longer at the Hermitage but I would not have given up seeing the Amber Room.

If you plan to return again would it be by cruise or would you spend some time in Russia? After my 2 days last summer I would love to spend a week in St Petersburg next time. Ah, one can dream can't one...

So we booked our Baltic cruise kind of on a whim at the last minute, and now we're facing the question of what to do on our day in St.Petersburg. Normally we would just get a visa and explore on our own, but the cost of the visa was prohibitively expensive for just one day in port. Then I was thinking we would just do the Denrus group tour. However, they have a 30-day cut-off for booking, so they said no.

Does anyone have suggestions for last-minute options? Short of booking a cruiseline excursion? We'll probably go back to St.Petersburg at some point, so I'm not too concerned about seeing everything on one day, but I want to feel like we got a semi-decent value for the money we'll have to spend. Could we still track down a private guide that could take care of the visa issue and just explore a few of the downtown sights via metro/taxi with us?

Also, which sights are the better options if we have to do a group tour? I'm inclined to save the Hermitage for another trip, since I feel like art museums are best savored at your own pace and targeting your individual tastes and interests.

We've scraped together a dozen visas for various cruises, but I've really dropped the ball this time. :(

Kaisatsu,

I replied to you in our ship's roll call. If you don't mind joining up with us we might be able to work something out.

Archived