Solo cruising - help choosing a ship

tinaky1114

Hello Everyone....I hope you don't mind me posting this question on this board rather than the solo cruise board. I wanted more opinions. I am planning my first solo cruise this year over the Christmas and/or New Year holidays.

This will be my 3rd cruise - first two on Carnival with great experiences although I am not opposed to trying a new line. I always cruised with my mom who passed away last winter. I am 40 with no family so I thought a holiday cruise (7-9 days) would be allow me to enjoy the holidays.

I am not overly picky, outgoing and strangers are only friends I've not yet met. I love activities, entertainment esp. Karaoke, and enjoy good food. I enjoy the nightlife...not a big drinker although I enjoy staying out late (insomnia). I like the larger ships.

So, my questions...

Opinions on cruiselines, ships, and ports especially at the holiday time.

Are there ports I should stay away from since I am traveling solo? (FYI...I travel alone for work all the time so I am adventurous)

Are there all families on holiday cruises or can I expect some solos such as myself?

Had a balcony last cruise and loved the sound of the water - is it really worth it since I now am paying the solo supplement?

Any thoughts or comments would be very appreciated. Thanks, Tina

I have the perfect ship for you ! The new Norwegian Epic which I will be on July 10th has what is called a studio which is for solo travelers. It's your own cabin and then they have what they call a living room where you can all meet and mingle if you want to. From what I understand this living room is only available to people that have studio cabins. It looks really neat. I think you should definitely check it out. I will be on it the first sailing out of Miami and I cannot wait. They have awesome entertainment lined up. Go the the NCL site and check this all out. Good luck and have fun on whatever you decide.

Thanks...Epic is one I have looked at for the studio reason. I am just not sure if I could handle a room that tiny. I love the look of the ship and the ice bar sounds intriguing. I have always wanted to try one. Let me know what you think!

Carnival has 1As at 150%, best deal going overall. RCL often has specials for say 130%, but most likely not for the week you want.

I love 1As, the ones with two windows, or ones with one beds, one convertible sofa and port holes come to mind. We even like the ones on Conquest class eith two twins on mid high decks, 6 7 8, that are larger than insides (but no window), perfect for solos.

Archived