Missed Grand Cayman

cherith

We were on the Voyager Sailing on Jan 15 and due to rough seas we missed the port at Grand Cayman. I wasn't too upset because I've been there a couple of times already and I know at any time you can miss any port.

However, the next day we were in Cozumel and spoke to passengers on a Carnival ship that HAD stopped in Grand Cayman that day.

What would make one ship have to miss it and another ship be able to?

I would guess it would come down to a judgment call on the part of the Captain? But these people said they had no troubles at all.

Just trying to figure out how the decision is made and what may make a difference.

Anyone 'in the know?'

I was on the Explorer that same week. We stopped in Grand Cayman on Friday. We were told that all ships missed the port on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't know what day you were supposed to have gotten there but if it was one of those three, the Carnival ship didn't get there either.

We were in port with only one other ship -- one from a line that I didn't even recognize.

Lori

However, the next day we were in Cozumel and spoke to passengers on a Carnival ship that HAD stopped in Grand Cayman that day.

What would make one ship have to miss it and another ship be able to?

I would guess it would come down to a judgment call on the part of the Captain? But these people said they had no troubles at all.

Do you know which ship those people were on?

There may be technical issues like the tendering arrangements, which may make it safer on one ship than another in particular weather conditions. Or there may be issues about the rate at which you can get passengers on and off a particular ship - I think that the question of "safe" is as much to do with whether you can get everyone on and off in a reasonable time as well as whether it's theoretically possible to get anyone on or off. If it's taking too long to clear everyone off the ship, you'd get a lot of frustrated people who are physically or metaphorically pushing, which is then when you would expect to see accidents.

It was the Wednesday that we were to be in there. It was the very next day on Passion Island that I got to talking to this woman.

Being that the Voyager has soooooo many passengers I could understand it might just be the sheer volume of bodies to move in rough weather that could make them skip it.

Can't remember which Carnival ship she was from but it was the Paradise size, not the Conquest size. (sorry, don't know the classes for Carnival)

Can't remember which Carnival ship she was from but it was the Paradise size, not the Conquest size. (sorry, don't know the classes for Carnival)
Probably the Inspiration, then - so not much chance that she'd misunderstood which day you were asking about. But no further ideas about the answer, though.

Yes Globaliser, it was the Inspiration. You jogged my memory Thanks.

It was just a little disappointing for us because we took our Managers on this cruise and it was the first cruise for all of them, and they had a lot of interesting excursions booked at my encouragement. (ie, stingray city).

We ended up having another day at sea and just sailing very slowly which made it smoother on the ship.

Acouple of years ago on board Cel. Century, while out on Stingray excursion a very nasty storm blew in. The thing, I've been told, that makes it so bad there is that the water around the islands is very shallow. We headed back to the ship early. the water was so rough they had a terrible time getting people off the tender onto the ship . The plank was probably only 15' long and I was afraid I'd be thrown inot the water . When we finally got on the ship there were prople waiting to go ashore, I think after we got off , the tender was used only to bring pass. back on.

I think the weather and seas change so quickly, the tendering situation can change by the minute. Also I'm sure the size of the tender boat make a big differnce as well.

I loved the Stingrays though!

We were also in Cozumel on Thursday -- at Paradise Beach. I talked to a lady there from the Carnival Inspiration who had MISSED Grand Cayman the day before. We had no idea until that point that the Cayman's were being missed at all that week.

The Captain announced on Friday that we were "lucky" since ALL ships had missed the port on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They said the same thing on our excursion (Captain Bryan's).

Are you sure she wasn't drinking heavily and imagined a stop in the Cayman's???? :eek: :eek:

Lori

Well, we were ON passion Island. . .so there WAS a lot of drinking going on.

So . . . where do we go to find out what REALLY happened?!??!? ;-)

I can say innerantly that we missed the port. . . Hey, I got it! I'm going to post on the Carnival boards and see what sort of mixed response I get.

I'll be back. . .

I was on the Explorer that same week. We stopped in Grand Cayman on Friday. We were told that all ships missed the port on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't know what day you were supposed to have gotten there but if it was one of those three, the Carnival ship didn't get there either.

We were in port with only one other ship -- one from a line that I didn't even recognize.

Lori

We were there on Grand Princess that week and stopped in GC on Wednesday -- along with 2 Xs and a Carn, i believe...

Archived