Seattle to Alaska to Vancouver info needed

stormcastle

We are booked on the NCL Pearl in Sept 2010. I have been exploring the forums for information about transportation from the port in Vancouver back to Seattle.

I am not interested in using the bus because of the possible delays at the border. Amtrak arrives fairly late in the day according to the schedule I just examined. I have been looking at a limo/minibus but can't find any info on rates; I have emailed for info.

Somewhere in these forums, an old post(2005) mentioned the NCL shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle--does anyone know if that still exists? If it does, where can I get more info? I did not find it on the NCL site.

any suggestions or info?

Have you called NCL to ask whether there still is a shuttle? We have taken the QuickCoach three times. There is a bus lane right before the border crossing, and each time we sped by what seemed like hundreds of idling cars, right up to the building.

You might want to post your query on the Canada board to see whether anyone there knows about the NCL coach.

Don't know if NCL will have a transfer bus for that cruise or not - check with either your TA or NCL BUT even if they did you still have to stop at the border - transfer buses might be processed a little faster as generally a customs officer will come onto the bus and just check ID rather than have to go inside the station with your luggage BUT - if there are buses in front of you you will have to wait your turn. The four hours that they show for the trip from Vancouver to Seattle includes the border stop - in every instance that I have used either Quick Shuttle, cruise transfer or Amtrak bus we have arrived within the time shown on the schedule.

Limo/minibuses will still have to wait and I am not even sure that they can use the bus lane.

There is no fast way through the border - people traveling by plane have to wait up to 2 to 3 hours before the flight so it is little different.

Another point there are no public washrooms available at the US bus crossing - limo/minibuses aren't equipped with them while the regular buses are.

The long lineups to enter the United States are the result of the war on terrorism and the extra heavy security that the DHS feels is necessary to enter the US.

Happy memorial day weekend everyone

Cheers

Dennis

whether you're in a bus, car or train, the delays at the border will be the same. everyone has to go through it. Your bus will probably take the truck crossing which is generally a wee bit faster than the Peace Arch crossing for cars. We usually take the truck crossing as well in our car.

I've been looking at ways to get to Seattle for our October cruise (vs driving like usual), and the earliest bus gets you down to seattle by 3:30pm. That's not that bad. If you use QuickCoach, it's even earlier.

Good luck to you.

We went on a little 2 day holiday to Vancouver last summer- went round trip on the train-(actually from Edmonds)- coming back to US- we boarded the train in Vancouver-, I think they checked our passports- can't remember- since not memorable- Just past the border, the train stopped, three customs agents got on, checked our passports- asked if we purchased any items- (we did not)- said, have a nice trip- all of this took - maybe, 10 minutes maximum. No fuss no muss- very low key.

The train was so easy- and a very enjoyable ride.

We are booked on the NCL Pearl in Sept 2010. I have been exploring the forums for information about transportation from the port in Vancouver back to Seattle.

Rent a car with one-way drop-off. Between Vcvr & Seattle it's typically just the standard 1 day rental rate (no surcharge).

There is no fast way through the border

Not quite true. There's also a NEXUS lane, http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html although for September, you should start on the application process immediately.

Cards are $50 US, and good for 5 years... so $10/year. WELL worth it! (NOTE: everyone in the car needs to have a nexus card, or you have to use the regular lane....not enough for the driver to have one)

I've zoomed past hundreds of cars (in the aggregate) during my various crossings, and have saved dozens of hours of aggravation.

My link is to the Canadian access point....Google for the US one.

Thanks for the info. I believe we are leaning towards the train at this point--looks like a scenic ride.

Our flight doesn't leave until the next day so timing shouldn't be too much concern.

Found out that a limo/minivan cost from Vancouver to our hotel in Seattle (Doubletree at Sea Tac) would be $550 + taxes and tip. Might as well fly!!

Check out the Ferry System. If you have the time it is an easy way to avoid the border and much more senic.

http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/ferryschedulehttp://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/ferryschedule

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the ferry goes to Vancouver. We've taken it from Seattle to San Juan Island, and it is a wonderful experience. However, since the OP wants to get from Vancouver to Seattle, I think this is a no-go, especially since it's not all that easy to get from Vancouver to Victoria (I know, because I'm planning to do it in September).

Archived