Rain Pants? Brush Pants? For Hiking in port

Gablin

Years ago, when I hiked most summers, I owned a pair of waterproof pants that could be worn over my hiking pants or shorts. They zipped down the sides and were easy to put on or take off while hiking.

Now, decades later, I find that I will be hiking a bit on excursions in Patagonia, in November and December. It rains a lot there, and I know that I need waterproof footwear. I do not remember where I bought my waterproof "rain pants" those many years ago, and I sure don't know where to start now.

Does anyone wear these now? Is it better to just plan on a couple of layers and drying off back on the ship?

If anyone has bought these recently, please tell me where you found them.

Yes, they are around. I have a pair from when I did a week hiking in Italy. My pair is by Marmot. They are the Full Zip Precip pant. There are also North Face Venture Side Zip pants.

Check online at backcountry dot com. Great website for anything you need for the outdoors.

I have goretex wind pants from LLBean outlet store - $10 - what a deal!!! My husband's goretex wind pants are from Cabelas.com or Sierratradingpost.com

I don't wear them for summer hiking - I brought them to AK but only wore them once (when we were doing laundry at my brother & SIL's house:p)

I also have nylon shorts & pants from Lands End that - while not waterproof like goretex - do dry quickly if they get wet. Those shorts are what I tend to wear hiking in warm weather/tropical conditions. Likewise- my husband tends to wear Columbia nylon shorts.....

Thank you for the replies. I have found two pairs of rain pants at local thrift stores (Goodwill and Value Village) and will venture out early tomorrow to acquire one of them.

If I fail tomorrow, I will try Cabella's in a town about 70 miles from me, or try REI later in June when I visit my granddaughter, who lives near one of their stores.)

Shorts won't do, as Patagonia can be very cold, and my legs are almost seventy years old anyway. No one should see these legs!

After 10 days of rain during our 14 day New England outdoor vacation last year, we finally broke down and bought Goretex jackets at Cabela's. Love them. Now we've recently received the matching rain pants, also Goretex, also Cabela's. Haven't tried them out yet. They are not inexpensive, but should work well.

We are going on HAL around South America, with (we hope) stops in the Falklands, etc. in January 2011. We plan to take the Goretex jackets and rain pants. I also have a couple of pairs of the quick-dry zip-off hiking pants for excursions.

Goretex is the best for breathable waterproof fabric. Cabela's isn't usually the cheapest place to find it. Campmor.com and sierratradingpost.com can often have fantastic deals on technical clothing.

Archived