St Petersburg evening tours?

My friend and I will be on the Vision of the Seas Baltics cruise in July. Our ship does not overnight in St Petersburg (we're there from 7 am till midnight)

Though we haven't chosen a guide yet for a Jewish St Petersburg tour, I have reserved the Russian ballet excursion with the ship for $79pp. (On all of the tours, we get back at 5:30-6 and ballet tour leaves 7:15)

I would like to hear about experiences going with the ships evening tours vs doing one with a private tour guide. I find it interesting that the private tours are more expensive than the one on the ship.

Thanks!

My friend and I will be on the Vision of the Seas Baltics cruise in July. Our ship does not overnight in St Petersburg (we're there from 7 am till midnight). Though we haven't chosen a guide yet for a Jewish St Petersburg tour, I have reserved the Russian ballet excursion with the ship for $79pp. (On all of the tours, we get back at 5:30-6 and ballet tour leaves 7:15). I would like to hear about experiences going with the ships evening tours vs doing one with a private tour guide. I find it interesting that the private tours are more expensive than the one on the ship. Thanks!

For evening options in St. Petersburg, here are some tips and cautions. An evening ballet might be very good, but some of the offerings are either very long (about three hours just for the performance, plus travel time, etc.) and/or with average quality companies in venues that are average to marginal. Check first on what you are getting and whether that works and is worth it. All ballet is not the same in St. Petersburg. There are also evening options for folk programs, evening canal boat rides, visiting the two main Cathedrals early evening, etc.

Price is important, but you will find when you really compare closely, apples to apples, that the cost differences are not that huge among the major, most experienced firms in St. Petersburg. It's about quality and responsiveness! First, outline, in detail, what you need, like and want in what you will send as a request to each potential tour firm. Ask questions, etc. Make it personal and custom to your interests and needs! Don't grab the first firm you write to and assume "that's it" after reading a couple of positive reviews for only one firm. We used Anastasia after contacting the top five firms, seeing what they said, how flexible they were, etc. She would e-mail back a detailed spreadsheet that outline showed the various detailed costs and options. Some folks will "low-ball" you a basic, lower cost and then hit you later with added fees and extras that you assume were included. If you have a group of four, those total costs over two days are going to be better or about the same as doing a tour through the cruise ship. The key advantage with a private tour is having a tour focused on YOUR personal needs, going at a pace that works best for your interests. The better firms are great in making adjustments like an early admission to the Hermitage, dealing with two people who like to take lots of pictures, adjusting for one person with a healing hip and finding the right shop to buy a Russian-style military hat, etc. Details make an important difference! You get what you ask for and seek!

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in the Baltics. What ports will you visit? Don't be shy! Ask questions. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. These resources can you help better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I am just home from a Baltics cruise and did a private tour in St Petersburg both day & evening with St Petersburg Tours.com and Viktoria was wonderful ... Her price included our visas and getting off the ship and thru immigration was a snap - no harder or different that flyign between Canada & the US - the nice officer took our passports & immigration form (which the ship provided) looked at them stamped them gave them back and wished us a nice visit.

We chose to take an evening canal tour with Viktria however others did ballet or folkshow.

Archived