Insurance with Royal Caribbean ??

Hello, I have been looking through a few threads about insurance and have some questions. I recently booked RC Freedom of the Seas for 8-29-10 and while I have only paid the deposit, I plan to make my final payment soon. This is the first cruise I have been on since I was 14 (and didn't have to pay!). There is a total of 7 people going with me (2 rooms). I purchased the insurance through RCI. It was $59 for the 1st and 2nd in each room, then $29 for the 3rd/4th. I thought this was pretty reasonable and I definitely want the insurance as I have a child with a chronic disease who is often sick.

First of all, some of the threads I am reading says not to go through the cruiseline..??? Please elaborate why not, if you can. Also, I made sure on the phone that I can pretty much cancel if anyone is sick and get EVERYone's cost of the trip back and they said yes (100% back). Also, if family (who aren't traveling) are sick and we can't go, we'll be reimbursed. What company is RCI going through and will I get any info on this policy?

Would love to hear some input. Not sure if it's too late for me to cancel the insurance through them? Anyone used them and not had a problem?

Thanks!

Krystal

You can usually purchase more extensive coverage for the same price as cruise line coverage, which is why most people recommend third party policies. However, cruise policies do have one advantage, which is the any-reason coverage.

You will need to read your policy in detail, it can be found on the RCCL website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

One thing you need to know is that pre-existing medical conditions are not covered,be sure to read the details of the time limits involved. Your child's condition may or may not be that depending on when it was last treated.

You can only cancel for sickness that is not Pre-existing and still get all cash back. Otherwise, you only get a cruise credit of 75%.

For the restrictions of your policy, you are just going to have to read it. Also, unless you booked your air (if applicable) through the cruiseline, the air portion is not covered.

And as cherylandtk said, you definitely need to read the part on pre-existing conditions; that will determine if you get the full refund or a partial credit.

SirWired

Also, unless you booked your air (if applicable) through the cruiseline, the air portion is not covered.

"PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's,Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation"

"Post-Departure Trip Interruption For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if: 1) your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation is delayed; or 2) you are unable to continue on your Covered Cruise Vacation after you have departed on your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's, Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined. For item 1) above, the Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) for item 2) above, commence while you are on your Covered Cruise Vacation and your coverage is in effect under the plan; and c) for both items 1) and 2) above,

require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is interrupted or delayed; and d) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to delay your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation or to prevent you from continuing your Covered Cruise Vacation."

Huh. Well, that is certainly a nice little rider in the policy. What is the benefit max?

The benefit max would be the cost of the cruise or cruisetour and so changes from policy to policy. It's not a stated amount like the trip delay or medical benefits. Say you insure a $2000 cruise and have to cancel (for a covered reason) when the penalty is 50% of the cruise cost. The insurance would reimburse you for the $1000 you're not getting back from the cruise line leaving $1000 to cover the cost of the air tickets. If you cancel when the penalty is 100% of the cruise cost there is nothing left over to cover air tickets as the most the policy will pay is $2000 total,

If your trip is interrupted for a covered reason the same $2000 limit would apply -- you cut short the cruise at the 50% mark you'd get back $1000 for the unused part of the cruise and $1000 would be left over to pay for any additional transportation costs to get home such as change fees on the existing tickets or if you have to buy a new ticket. But the max for all of this would be the $200.

I purchased the insurance thru RCI. I originally purchased with the idea that I would get refund if I was not able to travel. As it turned out, my son got cut on the Flowrider and possibly could have used stitches. At the infirmary (that was not open on a sea day), I talked to a lady over the phone and she proceeded to tell me they did not accept my insurance and that a lot guests purchase this insurance not knowing they do not accept. I declined to see to dr for a charge of $143. The lady on the phone told me if i needed a bandaid I could purchase one from the vending machine for $0.50. So, thankfully I was able to travel but don't intend to use it for illness or injury on boat.

Cruiseline insurance and many third party insurances are secondary, meaning that few if any doctors 'accept' them for initial payment. You must pay up front, then submit the claim to a) your primary insurance and b) your travel insurance.

"PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's,Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation"

"Post-Departure Trip Interruption For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Post-Departure Trip Interruption Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if: 1) your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation is delayed; or 2) you are unable to continue on your Covered Cruise Vacation after you have departed on your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's, Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined. For item 1) above, the Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) for item 2) above, commence while you are on your Covered Cruise Vacation and your coverage is in effect under the plan; and c) for both items 1) and 2) above,

require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is interrupted or delayed; and d) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to delay your arrival on your Covered Cruise Vacation or to prevent you from continuing your Covered Cruise Vacation."

Our flight was cancelled and they paid us the $500 PP max on the policy.

Read my member review for details "Australia Land & sea"

Felix

Cruiseline insurance and many third party insurances are secondary, meaning that few if any doctors 'accept' them for initial payment. You must pay up front, then submit the claim to a) your primary insurance and b) your travel insurance.

Even the "primary" third-party travel insurers aren't accepted by doctors for direct payment. The insurers, primary or secondary, expect the traveler to pay the bill and submit it later for reimbursement.

Archived