Excursions or travel needed?

CRUMB

Could anyone tell me if any of the following ports dock too far out to do your own thing within walking distance when you disembark i.e. Would you have to book transport or an excursion for any of them etc? Thanks.

GRAND TURK, ST MAARTEN, ANTIGUA, DOMINICA, ST LUCIA, BONAIRE, ARUBA, OCHO RIOS

Could anyone tell me if any of the following ports dock too far out to do your own thing within walking distance when you disembark i.e. Would you have to book transport or an excursion for any of them etc? Thanks.

GRAND TURK, ST MAARTEN, ANTIGUA, DOMINICA, ST LUCIA, BONAIRE, ARUBA, OCHO RIOS

If you are a beach person, you can pretty much get to the beach in Grand Turk and St Maarten when you walk off the ship.. also to bars, some shops etc. There is beach in town in St Maarten that's very nice facing Great Bay and that's really about all there is in Grand Turk. In Ocho Rios the public beaches can be kind of dicey.. there's an "island village" with Margaritaville and some shops near the ship but to get to anything else you'd need a cab/tour or something. In Antigua the town is right there when you get off but you would need transport to the beach or Nelson's Dockyard etc. Someone else will have to answser re the other places as I've not been there!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that guys,

Anyone know about Dominica, St Lucia and Bonaire?

I walked to one (Choc Beach) on St Lucia but I can't say I recommend it. I had no trouble but I suspect many people would get lost or get intimidated. It was a fair hike. I would recommend at least a cab or perhaps doing the beach as part of an excursion - many excursions go to Marigot (very pretty) or one of the beaches near the Pitons (volcanic peaks) down the coast.

Archived