drinking water on the Viking ships

onmyway10

I'm planning for my first river cruise and have questions for you -

Do the ships serve bottled water? Do they give out bottles for land excursions? Or would it be better to bring my own water bottle?

Thanks!

I'm planning for my first river cruise and have questions for you -

Do the ships serve bottled water? Do they give out bottles for land excursions? Or would it be better to bring my own water bottle?

Thanks!

The Viking Century Sun, sailing in China, recommends not drinking the cabin room tap water. Water bottles are provided in the cabins and for day tours. Water served on the boat dining areas is fine for drinking and ice.

On our Viking Danube cruise I was shocked by the price of bottled water on the excursion routes. In one city I made a point of going into a little grocery where the bottled water was inexpensive. There is a .25 euro deposit on the small water bottles.

I often refilled the bottles on the ship, but I was chastised for letting the neck of the bottle touch the spigit on the cooler.

On our Viking Danube cruise I was shocked by the price of bottled water on the excursion routes. In one city I made a point of going into a little grocery where the bottled water was inexpensive. There is a .25 euro deposit on the small water bottles.

I often refilled the bottles on the ship, but I was chastised for letting the neck of the bottle touch the spigit on the cooler.

Interesting. On our 2009 Elegant Elbe cruise on Viking, bottled water was complementary on all of our excursions. The buses had coolers with lots of bottles.

This was in addition to the complimentary bottled water supplied in the room. When was your Danube cruise?

The conditions will vary with the route.

In Russia, Viking does not recommend drinking tap water on board and provides a large bottle of water daily (and I expect more if required). Bottled water is also provided in box lunches for excursions, but not for others. You could either fill your own water bottle or an empty small one for excursions. Each cabin (at least on Kirov and Surkov) has a small refrigerator to keep it cool. However bottled water is readily available and inexpensive at all the ports of call.

Drinking water is always available in the dining room so no need there to purchase mineral water.

• 2 months later...

Search words Viking Kirov + water

We just got back from Russia on Aug 22, 2010 and had no problems. There is a liter bottle in the small refrigerator and one on the table. They are replaced as they are used at no charge. Viking told twice that the tap water comes out of the reservoirs and is filtered. To what degree? I don't know. I learned to brush my teeth using bottled. The food service water is just fine. I learned to shave by leaving the shaving cream on my face a little longer to reduce any accidental ingestion from a hot wash cloth. This was probably overkill. We never had to purchase water except in the airports where they confiscate it going through security and then gouge you to buy the same water on the other side of the gate. Obey the usual precautions, no vegetables or fruits on the streets, no ice from unknown sources and just pay attention.

Be aware that the long day excursions will dry you out. I would even suggest taking a belt mounted water bottle.

Scudrunner

Archived