Books on Zuiderdam?

Flredhead

There are quite a few books and many people find some to read. They don't have books I like that haven't read, so I pack several paperbacks. We're looking a e-readers for our next cruise, but haven't decided which one.

I can recommend the Nook from Barnes and Noble. And I'm someone who always said I wouldn't want one. Finally, after reading reviews and going to Barnes and Noble to see one I got it. I love it. It really is like looking at the pages of a book. The technology is amazing. And once I got a cover it's even like holding a regular book.

I'm having to be careful though - I've set up a budget for buying books for it. It's sooo easy to just sit in my living room instead of having to go to the store.

The libraries on HAL's ships are some of the best in the industry. Of course, their book budget like so many library's is being hurt by the economy. They have many mystery books but because you are such an avid reader you may have to find a new genre that you haven't read much of! They also have a shelf for paperback trading. My next cruise is so port intensive I doubt I will be checking a book out. I will bring a few short paperbacks for the plane and leave them on the ship.

I agree with Carol. However, I was pleasantly surprised last July on Ryndam to find "Perfect Poison" (Amanda Quick mystery/romance in HC, published April 2009) in the ship's library. It was on my "buy, but maybe wait for PB" list, but HAL pulled the trigger on that purchase before I could.:)

I find all HAL libraries very similar, whether the ship is relatively new or relatively old. All the ships get new books. Not like other lines, where the collection is frozen in time at the ship's inaugural.

That "trade a book" shelf often has some very pleasant surprises. Check often. On Ryndam in Alaska, my PB copy of Michener's Alaska went "poof" from the shelf before I left the room.

Cunard boasts about QM2 having the largest library at sea, but I think HAL ships rival Cunard Queen Victoria's library, judging by pictures.

BTW, most HAL ships have quite a few large print books.

There's much good to be said about any of the e-readers, but none of them yet have ALL the features I'm looking for. I'm also concerned about which format will "win", being old enough to remember the VHS vs. Beta VCR wars.

I agree with Carol. However, I was pleasantly surprised last July on Ryndam to find "Perfect Poison" (Amanda Quick mystery/romance in HC, published April 2009) in the ship's library. It was on my "buy, but maybe wait for PB" list, but HAL pulled the trigger on that purchase before I could.:)

I find all HAL libraries very similar, whether the ship is relatively new or relatively old. All the ships get new books. Not like other lines, where the collection is frozen in time at the ship's inaugural.

That "trade a book" shelf often has some very pleasant surprises. Check often. On Ryndam in Alaska, my PB copy of Michener's Alaska went "poof" from the shelf before I left the room.

Cunard boasts about QM2 having the largest library at sea, but I think HAL ships rival Cunard Queen Victoria's library, judging by pictures.

BTW, most HAL ships have quite a few large print books.

There's much good to be said about any of the e-readers, but none of them yet have ALL the features I'm looking for. I'm also concerned about which format will "win", being old enough to remember the VHS vs. Beta VCR wars.

What I think is very interesting is the "e-ink" technology that all of them use.

http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html

Archived