Donkeys on Santorini

shrink13

My wife, 11 year old daughter and I are wondering how we arrange to take donkeys up (or down) on Santorini. Do we arrange this ahead of time or when we get tender into the port? What is the cost as well? We definitely want to do this one way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heads up.....there are those on here that will say this is not a good thing to do....... say donkeys are ill cared for etc and cruel to ride them in the heat etc........

that said..... we took the donkeys up last year. They all looked healthy and happy to us.

There will be a sign where the tender lets you off. The donkeys are slightly to the right and the line for the lifts are to the left. Donkey rides are 5 euros each. We had a blast ..... half way up they will snap your picture and by the time you get up the picture will be ready..... forgot the cost but we both bought ours.

Heads up.....there are those on here that will say this is not a good thing to do....... say donkeys are ill cared for etc and cruel to ride them in the heat etc........

that said..... we took the donkeys up last year. They all looked healthy and happy to us.

There will be a sign where the tender lets you off. The donkeys are slightly to the right and the line for the lifts are to the left. Donkey rides are 5 euros each. We had a blast ..... half way up they will snap your picture and by the time you get up the picture will be ready..... forgot the cost but we both bought ours.

Not getting into the argument with the animal activists about the health of the donkeys. They look to be in great shape to me and this is a not to be missed opportunity.

Costs is 5 Euros each way and the cost of the picture on the way up, if desired, is also 5 Euros. No pictures available on the way down.

Why not use the time you have to quickly get to the top rather than taking the donkey ride? That way you have more time to enjoy the beautiful island and you eliminate your participation in what appears to be a questionable activity. When I was there, I saw the donkeys being whipped and saw several that I would call distressed. It was painful to see and I can't imagine being a party to it. That said, enjoy your trip (hopefully on the gondola!)

Why not use the time you have to quickly get to the top rather than taking the donkey ride? That way you have more time to enjoy the beautiful island and you eliminate your participation in what appears to be a questionable activity. When I was there, I saw the donkeys being whipped and saw several that I would call distressed. It was painful to see and I can't imagine being a party to it. That said, enjoy your trip (hopefully on the gondola!)

It is a myth that the donkeys are slower. We were there two weeks ago. I rode in the tender with couple from the ship. They rode the cable car up. I took the donkeys. I walked up to the cable car entrance to meet my wife who had gone ahead of me by an hour or so. Even walking up from where the donkeys let you off I got to the top just as the couple got off the cable car.

I doubt very seriously you saw any donkeys whipped, that just doesn't happen.

It is a myth that the donkeys are slower. We were there two weeks ago. I rode in the tender with couple from the ship. They rode the cable car up. I took the donkeys. I walked up to the cable car entrance to meet my wife who had gone ahead of me by an hour or so. Even walking up from where the donkeys let you off I got to the top just as the couple got off the cable car.

So, Zqvol, you're there 24/7 and can attest to the treatment of these animals ALL the time? To quote you in part, "I doubt very seriously" that you can say this is the case.

You have your opinion and you saw what you saw in the time you were there.

Other people saw what they saw and have just as much right to their opinions and memories as you do. How can you possibly state "that just doesn't happen"?

This is an open forum and everyone is allowed to have their say without you essentially challenging the statements people make.

Wow, you have got to be kidding. I was just there in April, and yes the donkeys were whipped and jerked up the steep steps in the broiling sun. Check out the pictures that have already been posted here, the youtube videos, etc. to see the donkeys with oozing sores and rusty wire muzzles digging into their faces. That's why there is a movement in Greece to monitor and regulate the humane use of the donkeys in Santorini. When I went there, I planned to ride the donkeys to participate in this local tradition, but when I saw them I knew I didn't want to be a part of that.

We were on the last ship of the season to visit Santorini (late November 2009.) I looked forward to having my photo taken on a donkey (DH rode the cable car), but apparently it was too late in the season or maybe they only take pictures when multiple ships are in port. :(

That said, riding the donkey up and down was one of the highlights of my trip! The donkeys seemed healthy and well taken care of. They didn't smell, although that may be because it wasn't during the heat of the summer.

I have taken the donkey ride at least 4 times, and the only problem I have noticed is when too heavy people try to ride the donkeys. I believe the weight limit is 100 kgs (220 pounds), but not everybody is honest about their weight!

Screwcork (219 pounds)

Here are some photos to help you make your decision about the donkeys. We were advised by Celebrity not to use them...they are not permitted water or food, shade or rest during the day. Another great place to check out photos is facebook and simply google santorini donkeys. I am no animal activist but these pics I took in May do not do justice...one donkeys tongue so swollen and protruding, rusty coat hanger muzzles imbedded in some snouts, raw hide and imbedment of straps...it is truly heartwrenching.

1442906628_x221.jpg.f757468776166ee949f480203749bb73.jpg

1745631446_x225.jpg.3377d3ffe93a0396d3fe83d5c5770e3c.jpg

587964715_x223.jpg.603e2160197602aabdb1e01103b5244a.jpg

Archived