CR Cigars

brentp

:rolleyes: I know, . . . this may not be a very popular topic,. . . but, has anyone out there purchased any fine CR Cigars while in Costa Rica? If so, please tell me a bit about them. I like mild cigars while on the golf course and usually like a Lonsdale or Corana size. If you found some you liked at a good price, . . . I might be tempted to buy some to fill my humidor.

Only thing I've found on line is the Vegas de Santiago CO-OP, which sells 3 varities (the VdS, VdS Puros, & Chaman lines) in various sizes. They sound good, . . . but may not be the only game in town. Would love to hear from some of you cigar smokers out there that have tried a good CR cigar.

A tour operator in Costa Rica that is a friend of mine pointed this out to me. I am an ex-pat living in Costa Rica and as a hobby do some cigar exportation from here. I can answer most any questions about the cigars in Costa Rica. Feel free to email me directly, as I am not a normal visitor of this board. My email is keith@truecigars.com

Although Costa Rica has never had a big cigar tradition, cigars are very available here. Generally there are three types of cigars, Bonafeid Imported Cubans, fake Cubans (of varying quality), and locally rolled cigars.

The genuine Cubans can be rather pricey, and in the port are hard to find. Although in San Jose there are several stores that sell the real deal.

The fake Cubans are cheap and can be found in the strangest places, but be advised improperly cured cigars are dangerous to one's health, and it is not worth the value risk/reward. Tobacco comes from anywhere for these cigars.

Locally rolled cigars run the full spectrum. There are extra-premium smokes that have the based leaves imported here and are rolled by masters, and there are places that buy $2/pound leaves and run "sweat shops."

I smoke, heavily, one brand that I would honestly say compares with the best of the world. If anyone is coming to San Jose, and was a serious smoker, it is sometimes possible to set up a tour of the factory.

Happy Smoking, and Enjoy your short time in Beautiful Costa Rica!

Keith@TrueCigars.com

Archived