Taking valuables to the beach

sunflwr19

My question is: What do most of you do to make sure that your valuables are stolen while you go in the water on the beach. I am not planning on taking many valuables to the beach or on excursions. However, I can't imagine not taking my digital camera on ports. I am mainly worried about while we are at the beach. There are only two of us, so it isn't like we can take turns going in the water. There will be times when we will want to go in together. We will be stopping at Cable Beach, Orient, and Magan's Bay. Is it likely that if we leave the camera and money hidden under a beach towel or something that it would be stolen? What are some other suggestions for keeping them safe (other than leaving them on the ship)?

One word:

Splashcaddy.

Better designed and more robust than Aquapac.

http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/products.php?id=3

Have been using a "Cache' model Splashcaddy on cruises, resorts stays, day beach trips, water park visits etc. since the mid-90s (that model is still available, but now doesn't include the shoulder strap mine came with). It's been in pools, the ocean -- have even ridden down water slides with it in my lap.

Not a drop has EVER gotten in.

When we visit beaches on cruises (and I disagree with td8412; most Caribbean beaches -- especially the nicest "off the beaten path" ones -- don't have lockers) our camera, camcorder, cash and passports all go into it, and it stays on my person when we are all in the water.

Ironclad theft protection.

phlydude- they wont leak even if they are underwater for a long time?

As long as you don't go below 15 feet you should be fine. The thing about them is that they like to float in case it becomes detached or falls into the water.

As long as you don't go below 15 feet you should be fine. The thing about them is that they like to float in case it becomes detached or falls into the water.

15 feet?

The National Association of Scuba Diving Schools tested a Splashcaddy by filling it with paper and leaving it 200 feet underwater for almost two weeks.

When it was raised and opened, the paper was bone dry.

Only making the point because that sort of "overkill" capability is precisely what I would want if I were going to be taking hundreds of dollars of camera equipment into the ocean.

Will grant that Aquapac does have the ability to -- by virtue of being clear -- act as a relatively inexpensive "waterproof' housing for in-water photography or video. I have a separate dedicated scuba housing for my camera, so that feature isn't relevant to my needs, but for others that may be a important benefit.

One other note: any waterproof bag will only float as long as it has positive buoyancy. In other words, if the items the bag is holding weigh enough, it will sink if detached or dropped. Trust me, I've learned the hard way!!!

I'll also give a plug to Aquapac. I've been in the water hours at a time, and never a problem, and I'll admit to being scared the first few times using it, but now I plunge headstrong into the water with it with no fears.

Also, I'll plug ewa-marine. They make inexpensive camera housings. If you want to protect your digital camera, and take unlimited underwater pics for less than $100, it's great.

Some beaches will have lockers. I don't risk bringing my good digital camera to ports. We are always too busy swimming/snorkelling/drinking to worry about it. I use the digital for onboard pics and take a couple disposeable 35mm for the ports as well as my underwater camera which goes in the water with me. Cash and s&s and id's go in a water wallet that you can hang around your neck. At other times, we just asked a couple who were sitting next to us on the beach to watch our stuff for a few minutes while we walked up the beach and we did the same for them. They were fellow cruisers (the blue towels were a dead giveaway). I wouldn't suggest asking locals to watch your stuff. If you rent a vehicle do not, under any circumstances, leave any valuables in the car unattended, even in the trunk. Auto break-ins are very common on most of the islands.

I always make sure when I buy my DH a swimsuit it has a sturdy zipper pocket. We bring a credit card to the beach and some cash in a zip loc. He also keeps the S&S cards in his pocket (that is if the whole family is in the water at the same time). I always bring an underwater camera when we go to the beach so if it gets wet and sandy it doesn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll also give a plug to Aquapac. I've been in the water hours at a time, and never a problem, and I'll admit to being scared the first few times using it, but now I plunge headstrong into the water with it with no fears.

Also, I'll plug ewa-marine. They make inexpensive camera housings. If you want to protect your digital camera, and take unlimited underwater pics for less than $100, it's great.

I ordered the large digital camera aquapac, and am totally afraid of putting my digital into it for the first time. We have always used underwater disposables, but I hate the quality. Is your for your camera or for your pesonal belongings?

Archived