PVP or TA?

Hi all. DW and I took a cruise on Freedom a month ago, had a great time. Since returning home, I have gotten three calls from CCL. I figured the first one was going to be someone asking if I had a good time on my cruise, etc. but no, it was Sarah (name changed to protect the innocent) telling me she was my PVP and asking how she could help me plan a vacation. I told her I had just gotten home from one a few days ago and she said "with us?" and I said "yes." Her response - "OK thanks" followed by a click.

The second call a week later was a from Jane (name changed to protect the innocent) who, after giving her name said "oops I have the wrong number" and hung up.

The third call I couldn't get to because they only let it ring twice before hanging up.

What's my point you ask? Well, I usually book through a TA (4 cruises and counting) who ends up getting me a great deal. I have never booked through Carnival and am wondering if I should since it seems their PVP department can't get it's act together. I was thinking of trying ES but seems like a lot of hassle. Should I stick with my TA? Opinions? Thoughts? Mumbles?

We have had simular experiences.

We use a (wonderful) TA, I handle all the online precruise info on Carnival website, but when ever my Sweetie logs onto Carnival website, to look at prices, or excursions or what ever, it never fails that she gets a call the next day from (some) PVP asking how they can help plan her 'next cruise vactaion' she always tells them we use a TravelAgent and my (spouse) handles that, and we are actually already booked on our 'next cruise vacation' .

but every time, they call the day after she is logged on.

~its happened probably 10 times in the last 2 months~

Could be the same situation?

I like my PVP, he is great and doesn't bug me. Here is note though, he kept calling me at first asking if he could help me plan a vacation and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered that I was logged into the Carnival website and his calls always came after I had been "browsing" on their website. Try making sure you are not logged in to not get those calls.

As for the OP, they are probably just normal "sales" phone calls b/c you sailed with them and they have you listed in a database. I work for a fundraising section of a college and we have students call alumni to ask for support, we pull names through a computer system at random or b/c they recently gave or b/c they belong to a certain group etc. Could be the same thing here.

I like my PVP, he is great and doesn't bug me. Here is note though, he kept calling me at first asking if he could help me plan a vacation and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered that I was logged into the Carnival website and his calls always came after I had been "browsing" on their website. Try making sure you are not logged in to not get those calls.

This is true. Each time you log back onto CARNIVAL and do a search your PVP receives a notification that you "may be interested" in bookigng a cruise. If you do not yet have an assigned PVP then the notification could be picked up by any of the PVP's which could be why you have different people calling.

Check if you can update your notofication settings under MY PROFILE.

We started with local ta, she left went to an online agency and for the past 6 or so cruises use a pvp.

Probably could do a little better dollar wise with ta but nothing like the fast answers and suggestions from our pvp.

I've used both TA's & CVP's. As far as I'm concerned, the best value for service, information, questions answered correctly and promptly, etc is with my Carnival Personal Vacation Planner. We've used her for our last 15 cruises and currently have several more booked through her. :)

If what op's have written about the PVP being notified when you log onto the web site is true; than my response to that is: the only time she calls me is when she has a "Godfather" deal that she feels I would like and not refuse. To date, she has been 100% correct!

My advice is find a PVP that you like and trust.

I have it noted in my profile as DO NOT CALL! That way I can still log in as me and get past guest rates, resident rates, yada, yada, yada that apply to me when I search but no longer get the bazillion calls from my PVP. When I am ready to do some serious booking, I'll call them. Once I made the call to Carnival and had them place that notation in my file, all calls stopped and haven't had any since.

Ahhh....love the peace and quiet.

We use a TA. Always have - with great results. We NEVER book ES - always Fun Select. I like to pick my room.

With ES, you do pick your cabin and you can still use a TA. The price difference in my next cruise was $90.00 pp more for fun select than ES. Makes it a no brainer, only lose $50.00 if I have to cancel and will still be $40.00 ahead of the game

Archived