Amedee Island Tour - With Discovery Dive

sharri34

Hi Guys,

I really REALLY want to do the Amedee Island Tour Regardless, but has anyone done it with the Discovery dive? I'm a bit worried about booking the one with the discovery dive because:

1) Me and My Partner have never been diving before (we've been snorkling and are both Strong swimmers however), and I tried calling P&O to ask if we needed a dive certificate or anything, and they couldn't really give me an answer.

2) I've read a fair few comments where people have said that there is heaps to do on the island, I mean I really want to walk ALL those steps to the top of the lighthouse, and snorkle off the glass bottom boat, so If I do the Discovery Dive would I still have time to do all the rest??

3) I read somewhere that they do shark feeding off Amedee Island, so is it really safe to go Diving nearby??? (I've gotten over the sea snake thing coz I did swim near some last time I was in Lifou)

4) There is a tour guide/ someone with Dive experience with you right??

5) Do we need any Diving gear at all? I honestly have nothing...Not even flippers...

Thanks Guys :)

Hi Sharri

Can't help you with 'dive' but can thoroughly recommend the Amadee Island tour. We did it about 3 years ago and it was the highlight of the cruise. I climbed 'all those' steps to the top of the lighthouse and the views are spectacular. We also did the glass bottom boat trip as well as out to the reef to feed the sharks.

They are reef sharks and are quite small by shark standards and definitely not man or woman eaters!!

The lunch served on the island was very nice and came with complimentary wine. There is also entertainment during lunch.

Hope this may help you make a decision.icon7.gif

Regards, Roy

I was a certified open water scuba diver in my early years (yeah a long time ago now). I would seriously counsel anyone considering scuba to undergo a proper course. It is far too dangerous to be entered into without proper instruction. It is wonderful but stick to snorkeling until you can do a course with certified instructors.

Hi Guys,

I really REALLY want to do the Amedee Island Tour Regardless, but has anyone done it with the Discovery dive? I'm a bit worried about booking the one with the discovery dive because:

1) Me and My Partner have never been diving before (we've been snorkling and are both Strong swimmers however), and I tried calling P&O to ask if we needed a dive certificate or anything, and they couldn't really give me an answer.

2) I've read a fair few comments where people have said that there is heaps to do on the island, I mean I really want to walk ALL those steps to the top of the lighthouse, and snorkle off the glass bottom boat, so If I do the Discovery Dive would I still have time to do all the rest??

3) I read somewhere that they do shark feeding off Amedee Island, so is it really safe to go Diving nearby??? (I've gotten over the sea snake thing coz I did swim near some last time I was in Lifou)

4) There is a tour guide/ someone with Dive experience with you right??

5) Do we need any Diving gear at all? I honestly have nothing...Not even flippers...

Thanks Guys :)

From memory you need a dive certificate for any dive tours.

When we did that shore we did the shark feeding from the boat on the way over, and as the other poster said, they were hardly maneaters!!

You'll love Amedee Island - it's one of the best tours that we've done in all the cruising we've done.

Don't worry about they snakes - I had snakes, but coped with them, and even managed to stay close enough to take a photo of one.

2215235100078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

HI! We have just returned from a cruise on the Pacific Sun departing Auckland 3 June.

We were also looking forward to doing the Amedee Island tour. Unfortunately it was removed from available tours on the cruise personalizer. When I rung & asked why they couldn't tell me!

Since our return I have booked to go on another cruise, and was hoping we could go to Amedee Island then since it's a year away!

Rang & asked them if it would be an included option for our cruise . . .

The lady said that while it is still on the web site as a tour she doesn't know if it will really be happening since the Island is closed for Conservation Maintenance!!!

Saying that there may be a possibility that you can organise it as a tour out side of P&O? - I'm not too sure.

Hopefully it is open again soon - It looks sooooo pretty!!!

Enjoy your cruise,

Angela.

Hi Angela

We were in Noumea on Pacific Jewel (cruise J018) earlier this month and as walked round to the Port Moselle Marina we passed the jetty where the cat leaves for Amadee Island and there was a notice to say Amadee Island was closed due to maintainence on the pier. It was due to re-open at the end of this month.

Hopefully this shore excursion will soon re-appear on P O' the list of tours for Noumea. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roy

Saying that there may be a possibility that you can organise it as a tour out side of P&O? - I'm not too sure.

Yes, it's possible to go to Amedee Island independantly, but since the return ferry service leaves Amedee Island at about the same time that the cruise ships leave Noumea, you'll be able to wave to the passengers on the cruise ship as you pass by them at the entrance to Noumea Harbour.

The P&O shore tour has a seperate ferry service that leaves Ameedee earlier than the other day tours to get back to Noumea in time for sailway.

Like Skyrules, we loved Amedee Island and hope to go back on our next cruise in October.

Thanks for answering one of our questions, Kym. An independent tour is now out of the question. :(

The shark feeding is a fair way out on the reef and you get there by fast cat. It's not near the island itself.

I'm also interested in the introductory dive and hope someone can answer this question. Whatever you do, you'll love your visit to Amedee.

I've bumped up a review I posted a while ago about this shore tour. Hope it helps.

Like Skyrules, we loved Amedee Island and hope to go back on our next cruise in October.

Thanks for answering one of our questions, Kym. An independent tour is now out of the question. :(

The shark feeding is a fair way out on the reef and you get there by fast cat. It's not near the island itself.

I'm also interested in the introductory dive and hope someone can answer this question. Whatever you do, you'll love your visit to Amedee.

I've bumped up a review I posted a while ago about this shore tour. Hope it helps.

That's how they did it the day we went - so I presume that'll be the same way it works on all ship days. Once out at the Island there was no difference - we just had to be aware that our ferry was leaving earlier than the main one.

One more thing for people who haven't done this shore tour - P&O's description (unless they've updated it) makes it sound like you have to pay for the extra's (lighthouse, shark feeding, glassbottom boat etc) once you are out there. You don't, it's all included. The only extra's on the island is a snacks, souveniers or drinks beyond the wine/juice that is included in the lovely smorgasboard lunch.

I Really really Hope Amedee Island will be opened again before our cruise leaves :) THe more I read about it the more I want to do it :)

If anyone has the answers to my questions about the dive I'd still love to know... Just mainly worried about safety, but it its not a scuba dive it must mean its safer yeah???

Archived