Fabulous FOD mtgs. on Caribbean Princess

TorontoTL

Just got home today from seven wonderful days aboard the Caribbean Princess, 29/1/05 to 05/02/05. We had a great FOD meeting the first sea day that was attended by about 20 people. Hosted by one of the assistant Cruise Directors named Gavin. He is a fabulous guy, cute and totally a hoot. Because the turnout was soooo good, he scheduled a FOD party the next night starting at 1145 pm in the Club Fusion. Princess provided lots of free champange for the event and many of the gay staff also attended once they were off their shift. Afterwards we all partied into the wee hours in Skywalkers lounge. Because of all the great guys we met at the party and FOD meeting, I have to say that this was the best cruise so far that I've been on. Kudos to Princess for supporting their LGB passengers this way!:D

Just got home today from seven wonderful days aboard the Caribbean Princess, 29/1/05 to 05/02/05. We had a great FOD meeting the first sea day that was attended by about 20 people. Hosted by one of the assistant Cruise Directors named Gavin. He is a fabulous guy, cute and totally a hoot. Because the turnout was soooo good, he scheduled a FOD party the next night starting at 1145 pm in the Club Fusion. Princess provided lots of free champange for the event and many of the gay staff also attended once they were off their shift. Afterwards we all partied into the wee hours in Skywalkers lounge. Because of all the great guys we met at the party and FOD meeting, I have to say that this was the best cruise so far that I've been on. Kudos to Princess for supporting their LGB passengers this way!:D

I had much the same experience on my Grand Princess cruises – who was the Cruise Director, by the way?

Glad you had a similar experience BDJAM onboard the Grand. The cruise director was Graham Seymour. However, when he was the Cruise director aboard the Golden on my first Princess cruise he didn't have any FOD meetings arranged. This most recent CB cruise was the best FOD experience so far. I'm planning a Panama Canal cruise aboard the Coral for Nov 4, 2005. BDJAM do you think they will have an FOD meeting on that ship, you've had quite a few cruises with Princess under your belt.

Glad you had a similar experience BDJAM onboard the Grand. The cruise director was Graham Seymour. However, when he was the Cruise director aboard the Golden on my first Princess cruise he didn't have any FOD meetings arranged. This most recent CB cruise was the best FOD experience so far. I'm planning a Panama Canal cruise aboard the Coral for Nov 4, 2005. BDJAM do you think they will have an FOD meeting on that ship, you've had quite a few cruises with Princess under your belt.
My impression of Graham Seymour – from what others who work with him have told me - is that he’s a big homophobe. That’s why I asked because I thought he was still on Caribbean Princess. When I did my back to back on Grand Princess, Graham had just left and they were not allowed to have FOD gatherings while he was on board. Tim Donovan was the CD when I was there and not only did he have them, they were listed in the Patter and part of his morning announcements. We did have the same experience – we kind of took over Skywalkers at night (and naturally closed the place) and all the straight women would stay up there and dance with us while the husbands went and did other things! We didn’t end up with a second party – taking over a lounge – because we’d always be up at Skywalkers. It’s interesting that a lot of guys who met for the first time at the gathering spent the rest of the cruise with each other.

Besides Graham, I’ve heard of no other Cruise Directors who have refused FOD parties on board – so you should be fine. I think a lot of that planning also comes from the Assistant Cruise Directors – and since there’s often a large gay population with that group, it helps with reluctant Cruise Directors. Do you know who will be on Coral Princess when you’re there? I’ll be sailing Island Princess in April 2005 and she’s the exact sister of Coral – I’ll let you know how it is!

As for Gavin – tall and blond? I can’t remember his last name, but if it’s who I think, I’ve met him before – not gay himself I don’t think, but obviously very friendly.

My impression of Graham Seymour – from what others who work with him have told me - is that he’s a big homophobe. That’s why I asked because I thought he was still on Caribbean Princess. When I did my back to back on Grand Princess, Graham had just left and they were not allowed to have FOD gatherings while he was on board. Tim Donovan was the CD when I was there and not only did he have them, they were listed in the Patter and part of his morning announcements. We did have the same experience – we kind of took over Skywalkers at night (and naturally closed the place) and all the straight women would stay up there and dance with us while the husbands went and did other things! We didn’t end up with a second party – taking over a lounge – because we’d always be up at Skywalkers. It’s interesting that a lot of guys who met for the first time at the gathering spent the rest of the cruise with each other.

Besides Graham, I’ve heard of no other Cruise Directors who have refused FOD parties on board – so you should be fine. I think a lot of that planning also comes from the Assistant Cruise Directors – and since there’s often a large gay population with that group, it helps with reluctant Cruise Directors. Do you know who will be on Coral Princess when you’re there? I’ll be sailing Island Princess in April 2005 and she’s the exact sister of Coral – I’ll let you know how it is!

As for Gavin – tall and blond? I can’t remember his last name, but if it’s who I think, I’ve met him before – not gay himself I don’t think, but obviously very friendly.

That would make sense about Graham since there were no FOD meetings on the Golden when I was on her in 2003. He must have loosened up a bit to allow the FOD meeting (listed in the Patter by the way) and the second one with donated champagne. Well from what I've heard he's leaving Princess pretty soon. By the way, nice to know that there's another gay man posting on the Princess threads :D . Gavin, I can't remember his last name, was very tall and thin, from South Africa but had light brown hair. He is definitely gay as we talked a fair bit onboard the CB. I wonder if he is the same guy you've met, he said he has been with Princess for a number of years. How would I find out who the CD will be in Nov. on the Coral, do you have any idea?

That would make sense about Graham since there were no FOD meetings on the Golden when I was on her in 2003. He must have loosened up a bit to allow the FOD meeting (listed in the Patter by the way) and the second one with donated champagne. Well from what I've heard he's leaving Princess pretty soon. By the way, nice to know that there's another gay man posting on the Princess threads :D . Gavin, I can't remember his last name, was very tall and thin, from South Africa but had light brown hair. He is definitely gay as we talked a fair bit onboard the CB. I wonder if he is the same guy you've met, he said he has been with Princess for a number of years. How would I find out who the CD will be in Nov. on the Coral, do you have any idea?
Hmmm…I think the Gavin I was thinking of was from the UK. Maybe I’m mistaken – did he wear glasses? I met the Gavin I’m speaking of about three or four years ago – maybe he’s since come out? I have a friend who is a Senior ACD for Princess – if I think about it, I’ll ask him if it’s the same Gavin. The Gavin I met did progress through the ranks pretty steadily – in fact he was interviewed for one TV show on cruising, sort of the Princess representative.

I don’t know how you can tell who will be the CD on Coral Princess – November is a way out and there would probably be at least one rotation between now and then. Start asking as the time draws near?

And welcome to the Princess threads – there’s a few of us posting over there – it’s an interesting place!

Gavin on the CB did not wear glasses. Maybe he's not the same person that you met before BDJAM. I don't think he's that high up in the ranks, but I'm not sure. There was a Deputy CD on that cruise by the name of Kelvin Joy who was a blast. No idea is he is gay or not, not that it matters, he was alot of fun anyhow. Thanks for the welcome to the boards by the way.:D

Any experience or knowledge of the cruise director on the Golden Princess? I was curious if FOD meetings are easily arranged.

I don’t know who is on Golden Princess at the moment. But again, I haven’t heard of CDs refusing FOD gatherings (and Princess calls them FOD/Rainbow) except for Graham – I’m sure if you ask you will be accommodated. Remember, however, to ask early on in the trip so it can be properly scheduled.

Gavin on the CB did not wear glasses. Maybe he's not the same person that you met before BDJAM. I don't think he's that high up in the ranks, but I'm not sure. There was a Deputy CD on that cruise by the name of Kelvin Joy who was a blast. No idea is he is gay or not, not that it matters, he was alot of fun anyhow. Thanks for the welcome to the boards by the way

I don’t know Kelvin, but I have heard good things about him as well. And you’re welcome for the welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
When I did my back to back on Grand Princess, Graham had just left and they were not allowed to have FOD gatherings while he was on board. Tim Donovan was the CD when I was there and not only did he have them, they were listed in the Patter and part of his morning announcements. We did have the same experience – we kind of took over Skywalkers at night (and naturally closed the place) and all the straight women would stay up there and dance with us while the husbands went and did other things!

Hmmm...just got off the Grand and that was not our experience with Tim at all. The GLBT/Rainbow meeting was scheduled on Thursday at 9:30pm. We didn't go because we wanted to see a specific show at that time, but I was told later that the meeting was originally requested to take place earlier in the week and earlier in the day.

As a result of the inconvenient time, only 2 people showed up. No champagne, no announcements, no nothing. In fact, Tim Donovan seemed pretty distracted and out of it the entire cruise, so maybe something was just going on and that's not how he normally behaves. I hope.

You can email directly to the ship – if he’s still there. You just need a first and last name and his official position – email to caribbeanprincess@ princess cruises.com (no spaces) and in the subject line, put ATTN: GAVIN LASTNAME, and his official title.

FYI

Thanks for you posting, I am headed on the exact ship on March 12th, its a SPring Break cruise so I am hoping for lots of fun folks, and and early FOD party too.

Would you happen to have any contact info or email for Gavin?

Thanks[/quote

Hi there, unfortunately I don't know Gavin's last name. If he is still onboard the CB then you will run into him at the sailaway party on deck. Look for a very tall and thin brownish haired man and speak to him. Or ask any of the entertainment staff to point him out to you. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hi there, unfortunately I don't know Gavin's last name. If he is still onboard the CB then you will run into him at the sailaway party on deck. Look for a very tall and thin brownish haired man and speak to him. Or ask any of the entertainment staff to point him out to you. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Are you thinking of Gavin Chandler? He was the CD on our Dawn Princess, 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise this past October (2004).

Here's a picture of Gavin (note if the picture doesn't appear, right click on the red x and select show picture).

280369533rpoHxz_ph.jpg

Of note, there were no GLBT/Rainbow/FOD parties/get togethers on the Dawn Princess in October. We did, however, meet a couple of other couples and shared a few dinners/drinks with them.

We were also just on the Grand Princess this past January (2005) with James Lay as CD. I found him to be most personable and enjoyed his sense of style. Others seemed to differ in opinion... We had two GLBT/Rainbow Get Togethers organized. The first was on the 2nd day, at around 6pm - so the time was okay. It was interesting speaking to the guy who hosted. His name was Ryan - - nice guy, btw. We had about 4 male couples attend and 2 female couples attend. Not that we hadn't already picked each other in passing by. The party included 'free champagne' which was nice, considering the bar we met at was closed so there were no other drink options.

A previous time on the Grand, Tim Donovan was CD and we had a great FOD/Rainbow get together, hosted by Lawrence, one fo the dancers... aparently, so I've since learned, *a lot* of people have met Lawrence over the past couple of years. In fact, Ryan was telling us that Lawrence frequents Cruise Critic, but not sure what his user name is. Anyway, on that cruise, Lawrence was hosting the meeting in the Wheelhouse and bought everyone, on behalf of the Cruise Director, a couple of rounds of drinks. In all, there were 5-6 male couples there and we all became really good friends. That was one of our most memorable cruises. If you're interested, check out our pics by clicking here.

Are you thinking of Gavin Chandler? He was the CD on our Dawn Princess, 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise this past October (2004).

That isn't the Gavin I was talking about. Darn, I don't think that I ever knew his full name sorry. He was one of the assistant cruise directors.

We were also just on the Grand Princess this past January (2005) with James Lay as CD. I found him to be most personable and enjoyed his sense of style. Others seemed to differ in opinion...

Thanks for the pictures – all look very handsome. As for James Lay, I met him back in 2001 when he was an Assistant Cruise Director on Sun Princess. Must have grown a personality since then… :confused: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

My partner and I were on the Golden / Southern Carib last December. The first night of the cruise we met an Asst. CD named SLY. He noticed our rings and asked if we were a couple, we said yes.

He immediately bought us drinks in Skywalkers and welcomed us aboard! He then told us he would love to put together a FOD party for us and have it announced on the Morning show and put in the Princess Patter, which it was!

The Asst. CD Sly was the most accommodating, generous, and fun person we have ever met on a cruise ship. He made us feel safe, welcome, and always glad to see us. He even comp'd our drinks at the FOD Party. GREAT GUY!

This was our third Princess cruise and never saw anything about FOD parties, and we looked. Maybe things are changing!

To all you cruisers out there. Princess NOW allows FOD on all their ships. I am a veteran of 11 Princess cruises and have had many friends who have also traveled on them. They are having the FODs' usually on the 1st night out which I find very annoying as everyone is usually to pooped to pop. I'm glad to hear that they doing them on the 1st sea day as that makes more sense for having a larger group show up.

I also find that if I make my request for a FOD as soon as I board, there's usually no problem. I always go directly to the CD not an associate. Nowadays there are so many of us on board, they are hard pressed to refuse.

Have fun on your next cruise;

Howndder

We have had two FOD meetings, the last on the Star Princess 11/04. About 15 showed up. Our first on the Golden was in Skywalkers and was well attended.

We have nine of us signed up on the Coral Princess Nov 4, 2005. Eight guys and one token Grandmotherly type. Hope they have a FOD meeting early in the cruise. Glad to hear others will also be on the ship.

We have had two FOD meetings, the last on the Star Princess 11/04. About 15 showed up. Our first on the Golden was in Skywalkers and was well attended.

We have nine of us signed up on the Coral Princess Nov 4, 2005. Eight guys and one token Grandmotherly type. Hope they have a FOD meeting early in the cruise. Glad to hear others will also be on the ship.

Hey there, GREAT to here that there will be other family on this cruise. My partner and I, along with another gay couple will be on your cruise as well! My parents and sister's family will be along too, but I've been hoping that other gay couples will be along as well. I've started roll call in the roll call section under Princess cruises. Join me there!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I know this thread is a bit old, but we were on the Carribean Princess at the end of February, and we had a similar FOD experience with Gavin, although our FOD parties were "co-hosted" with Chris, aka "DJ Crispy" .. we found Chris to be much friendlier than Gavin. Perhaps Gavin had enough of FOD socializing by that point, but he rarely would return a friendly hello, and also never came to the nightclub. But the parties were nice, and we got the champagne treatment at Fusion as well. Classy!

In comparison, we had a GREAT time onboard the Grandeur of the Seas last year, with Skippy (Cruise director's staff) and Joe (excursions.. aka 'What do you know Joe').. even though there were no official FOD meetings. We could have stayed up partying with those two, and the rest of the staff, all night long. Anyone know where these two might have ended up?

Jeff

Archived