Taxis from alternate terminal in Tampa?

Host Caroline

Carnival has many ports to cruise out of and if Tampa would rather please a oil company then the hundreds of people on the ship.every one should book out of a different port. I will sail from Tampa for the third time Saturday and if I have to get off and on in a wharehouse I will never book out of Tamps again. Mike

Carnival spokesman "Tim Gallagher" apparently doesn't do his homework.

On the current Carnival website,the following is published:

Tampa

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:30PM

In other words, the PUBLISHED Carnival guidelines don't recommend anyone booking flights earlier than 12:30. However, if your flight is at 12:30 or later, Carnival normally would work with your (by allowing early disembarkation) to insure you get to the airport on time.

However, in the article posted above, Mr. Gallagher is now changing the so-called guidelines, in essence saying they don't guarantee anything to anyone whose flight is earlier than 2:00pm (a timeline that wasn't previously publsihed ANYWHERE, including the recent Miracle Capers posted on this board yesterday).

Why the difference?

Simple: a transparent attempt by Carnival to cover their you-know-what in the event people miss flights because of Tampa docking screwups.

That is grossly unfair to everyone who booked flights far in advance that met the original guidelines (such as my party on our upcoming Miracle cruise; our return flight is scheduled at 1:35).

Frankly, I don't want to worry about that, but given Mr. Gallagher's rather fluid treatment of so-called "guidelines"....

.....he can be darn sure that if we miss our flight due disembarkation delays because of the ship being forced to return to the so-called "alternate" pier....

....he, Carnival (and for that matter, the Tampa Port Authority, The Tampa Tourism Board and CITGO management) are all going to get a hard lesson in just how capable a certain New York marketing executive is at...

...creating MASSIVE public relations noise.

Carnival spokesman "Tim Gallagher" apparently doesn't do his homework.

On the current Carnival website,the following is published:

Tampa

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:30PM

In other words, the PUBLISHED Carnival guidelines don't recommend anyone booking flights earlier than 12:30. However, if your flight is at 12:30 or later, Carnival normally would work with your (by allowing early disembarkation) to insure you get to the airport on time.

However, in the article posted above, Mr. Gallagher is now changing the so-called guidelines, in essence saying they don't guarantee anything to anyone whose flight is earlier than 2:00pm (a timeline that wasn't previously publsihed ANYWHERE, including the recent Miracle Capers posted on this board yesterday).

Why the difference?

Simple: a transparent attempt by Carnival to cover their you-know-what in the event people miss flights because of Tampa docking screwups.

That is grossly unfair to everyone who booked flights far in advance that met the original guidelines (such as my party on our upcoming Miracle cruise; our return flight is scheduled at 1:35).

Frankly, I don't want to worry about that, but given Mr. Gallagher's rather fluid treatment of so-called "guidelines"....

.....he can be darn sure that if we miss our flight due disembarkation delays because of the ship being forced to return to the so-called "alternate" pier....

....he, Carnival (and for that matter, the Tampa Port Authority, The Tampa Tourism Board and CITGO management) are all going to get a hard lesson in just how capable a certain New York marketing executive is at...

...creating MASSIVE public relations noise.

Actually, He is correct, the website hasnt been updated. If you pick up the lastest brochure, under Debarkation:

To allow sufficient time for Customs clearance,we recommend scheduling outbound air flights no earlier than 2pm.

It even says that in the brochure that is from 2003-2005

Have a great time on Miracle. Hopefully, there will be a resolution by the time you board.

Actually, He is correct, the website hasnt been updated. If you pick up the lastest brochure, under Debarkation:

To allow sufficient time for Customs clearance,we recommend scheduling outbound air flights no earlier than 2pm.

It even says that in the brochure that is from 2003-2005

I dont have a brochure, but frankly, that's completely irrelevant.

I am familiar with at least six cases of litigation where companies have been held financially liable for outdated information published on their websites (even when related updated information was available in printed collateral).

Or stated differently, the days are long, long gone when a Fortune 500 company could try to use "oops, the website hasn't been updated" as an excuse. In fact, to see a lawyer for Carnival (much less "Mr. Gallagher") trying to explain why critical information on their website hasn't been updated for over TWO YEARS would be highly, highly entertaining. In fact, maybe they should book that as a comedy routine on the ship....

Thanks LibertyCruiser for the article...will let the others in my party know of the confusion, as we will be traveling from Jacksonville to Tampa the morning of the cruise...My little brother is getting married the day before and a bunch of us are joining him on the honeymoon...let me just say not in the same room!!!

I assume that since we will be parking there at the port they bus us from the normal terminal to the "temporary terminal"?

I hope people stop booking Tampa-based cruises, so that the prices will drop. :D

Note the article said they're going to set up a makeshift cruise terminal at the alternate dock in the cargo area. That should eliminate the busing and most of the delays should the Miracle be forced to deviate from the Channelside dock.

It sounds like the port authority's new director is actually doing something about the problem. Unfortunately, due to logisitics at the extremely cargo-intensive port, a more acceptable long-term solution is going to take several years to complete.

I was on the Miracle January 23rd cruise, and we came into the cargo port. They got us off in good time if you had an early flight, and bussed us to the terminal called Channelside where we quickly found a shuttle, and made it to the airport in plenty of time for our 12:50 PM flight...I got to the airport around 10:30 to 11am as I remember. It is a bit of a hassle, and they do need to fix the problem, but don't get freaked out about this and enjoy yourself.

Sounds like they got you off faster than some cruises out of Miami I have been on.

INote the article said they're going to set up a makeshift cruise terminal at the alternate dock in the cargo area.

If that's the case, The Port Authority and Carnival should be doing everything possible to communicate embarkation location changes in advance (Carnival has been giving passengers disembarking one day advance notice).

Why engage in all these transfer logistics between Channelside and the "backup" cruise pier, as well as confusing and frustrating those arriving at Channelside with a frantic mess (frustrated traffic cops, a jammed terminal, etc)? That is exactly what happened on both 1/23 and 1/30.

Seems it would be a LOT more efficient to just have passengers arrive at the alternate location, and handle baggage and check-in there (less expense for Carnival, less hassles for everyone and fewer embarkation delays).

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens with the cruise sailing this Sunday....

Seems it would be a LOT more efficient to just have passengers arrive at the alternate location, and handle baggage and check-in there (less expense for Carnival, less hassles for everyone and fewer embarkation delays).

I agree, and I think that's what they meant when they said they're setting up a makeshift terminal. It will allow all the portside activity to take place right at the alternate location instead of busing betwene there and Channelside. The only shuttles would be needed for shuttling those who parked at Channelside over to the alternate terminal for check-in and back to the parking garage upon debarkation.

I agree, and I think that's what they meant when they said they're setting up a makeshift terminal. It will allow all the portside activity to take place right at the alternate location instead of busing betwene there and Channelside. The only shuttles would be needed for shuttling those who parked at Channelside over to the alternate terminal for check-in and back to the parking garage upon debarkation.

Thanks glatum - what I meant by "it will be VERY interesting to see what happens" is regarding the whole definition and logistics of "makeshift."

I can already see it - a used circus tent staffed by a bunch of uncomfortable employees at card tables, with long lines of people outside waiting to use the worn, greasy port-a-pottys with " WELCOME TO THE PORT OF TAMPA" written on the side.

I hope people stop booking Tampa-based cruises, so that the prices will drop. :D

Note the article said they're going to set up a makeshift cruise terminal at the alternate dock in the cargo area. That should eliminate the busing and most of the delays should the Miracle be forced to deviate from the Channelside dock.

It sounds like the port authority's new director is actually doing something about the problem. Unfortunately, due to logisitics at the extremely cargo-intensive port, a more acceptable long-term solution is going to take several years to complete.

You will get your wish if this cruiser is bused this weekend. It will be my last Tampa cruise There are other ports to cruise out of and I have to fly to all of them. Mike

I would recommend you bring a cell phone and the # to your airline,if you have a loyalty card from your airline bring it and call the special number on the back to avoid the elevator music while on hold with the regular #.

As soon as you know if you have a problem,call and you will be able to get the next flight out which is probably only 2 hours later.

Steve

This is good advice. I don't have a loyalty card for UA as I use my Air Canada frequent flyer number on United flights. Does anyone know the special phone number for United? I actually have a USAir flight booked through United, but used my AC FF #. Yes it is a mess.

Another option I suggest for people flying next Sunday after the Miracle. Take a copy of all available flights after your intial flight-- that way you wont spend precious moments trying to find whats available--you will alreeady have that information.

This is precisely the type of reaction I predicted would occur if the matter is not resolved forthwith. More people are finding out about the situation, which will certainly result in their seeking alternative venues. Hopefully, the temporary terminal will alleviate the logistical issues; but a brand-new ship docking at a makeshift facility ... somebody dropped the ball on this one!

Al

BULLETIN: Just heard from Port of Tampa - nothing definitive, but they've apparently realized the magnitude of the problem. My including a link to this thread in my last correspondence apparently helped considerably. Here's what I received via return e-mail:
-------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Al. I haven't forgotten you, and didn't intend to delay my response to your last e-mail this long. Unfortunately, a minor issue cropped but and I had to re-route my time for a day or two, but all is back to normal now.

I read your last e-mail with a heavy heart. Your points are well made.

We very much appreciate your offer to provide additional details about the situation, and I have passed your e-mail on to the decision makers.

At this point in time, the decision makers have not come up with a better solution that is still safe, and it is possible that the alternative docking arrangement may have to be exercised again. That said, it is not being done without full awareness of the potential impact, from a customer care perspective, from a revenue and economic impact perspective, and from a lot of other perspectives.

Many individuals and organizations are dedicating much time toward finding solutions. They are working diligently, trying to think out-of-the-box, and it is THE priority these days. I know these words on paper don't help much, but it is all I have to offer right now.

I appreciate the link, and we'll check out the chat rooms to monitor the situation.

Lori A. Musser
Director of Public Relations
Tampa Port Authority
--------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully, this will hasten a remedy. I understand that a temporary terminal is being constructed, so that passengers won't have to be shuttled to and from the cruise terminal. This will likely resolve the issue of missing flights due to delayed departure from the port. In any event, the light has gone on, and the midnight oil is burning. Here's hoping ....

Al

Archived