Majahual/ Mahahual

krissim9

Hi, we will be going to Costa Maya in September. It will be myself, my husband and our three year old twin boys. We plan to get off the boat and take a taxi over the Majahual. Any suggestions on which "beach club" would work best for a family like ours? Something with less seaweed in the water and maybe some activities to do for the little ones?

Thanks, Krissi

krissim9...Pez Quadro gets nice comments from families with younger children. But, and recent cruisers feel free to correct me, I believe that outside NohochKay toward the southern end of the malecon, none of the beach clubs "require" reservations or insist on charging AI prices. With 3 year olds, you don't want to spent a lot of time walking down the malecon, which is what I's suggest to couples of families with older children. So perhaps you can begin reading a bit on this board about many of the places and look at some of the maps and pictures here. In addition to Pez Quadro, look up Tequila BC, and Tropicante.

This thread has a couple of nice maps with listing of places and the last post has a good video of the area (albeit in Spanish)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140966

Remember the further away from the ships the less crowded, as a rule.

Its just one long strip of beach, you can choose any place you want or that you think looks nice. I agree the farther you go down probably the less crowded it would be. If people are like me it all starts to look alike I get tired and I find a table with some shade for me and sun for my wife. I think the rowdier people tend to stay close to the taxi area , less distance to stagger to a cab:D:eek:

Crazy question, but is there any place with a playgruod or water slide or kayak rentals?

Maybe a playground and slides at the port pool. I don't recall as I didn't hang out there. I know there's a swim up bar. There are kayak rentals and jet ski rentals on th emalecon in Mahahual

• 2 weeks later...

Anywhere along the beach will be fine. Even with the winds forcing 2 ships to abort the waves were next to nothing, it's a very protected beach right in front of the malecon (major reef not far from shore). We sat in Tropicante lazing the afternoon away while our son played on the beach. We did plan to shop but with no ships it was dead (as usual). We stayed in a house south of Majahual.

We have travelled to Mahahual quite a bit. Our last trip was for 2 weeks with a large family group. When in Mahahual we head to the National Beach Club, great beach with nice chairs and open space for kids to play. As well infront of Mahahual there is some sea grass, but it is in patches which create these little private sand pools where kids can play and play in nice shallow water with small fish and no worries to wander out into deep waters.

There is an elementary school, but as far as I know there is no playground for little ones. Take a Cab to the Matan Ka an Hotel, follow the small street to the beach once you hit the Malecon turn to the South and look for the National Beach Club. The beach club has a small plunge pool (the only one on the Malecon) great food and beverages.

Enjoy, I agree with a previous post get a bit further down the beach than Tequilla Beach or the All Inclusives, not really a great place for families to enjoy themselves. Lots of binge drinking and bad behavior.

Enjoy Mahahual our family loves Mahahual and we return every year our ages from 12 months to 18 years for kids along with all the Moms, Dads and Grandparents.

We always bring a bucket and shovels for the kids to play at the beach, small nike swim glasses are great as well.

Archived