McKinley Express Dome Cars-Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks

1char

Has anyone take a cruise/tour this year that has included this service? Do we get assigned seats? What about the meal service? How expensive are the meals and how is the quality? Are the meals worth the cost or should we plan to bring snacks with us?

Any info about the McKinley Chalets would be appreciated. We also have dinner reservations at the Denali Park Salmon Bake Restaurant, has anyone at there this year?

Thanks for your help/info. Just trying to figure out how it all works. Charlie

We didn't do it this year, but: yes, you get assigned seats on the train. The only meal we had was breakfast, and it was good. I don't recall what we paid, which must mean that it wasn't toooooo expensive. The dining area in the lower level of the car won't accomodate everyone at the same time, so 1/2 the car goes at a time.

At McKinley Chalets we were in the newest building at that time, the Chalet Canyon Lodge, and it was very nice. I understand that some of the buildings near the main building are a bit "rustic". :)

You didn't ask, but I don't recommend the Cabin Nite dinner show. Food so-so, show kinda corny, and if you're at the wrong end of the family-style table you don't get much to eat. :(

We did the Cruise/tour #2 last August that included this. When we checked into the hotel in Anchorage, we checked in with our tour guide who gave us our tour packets that included tickets on the train. The seats were assigned. There were 6 of us, and we were seated all next to each other.

Meals on the train - are in the lower part of the car. We thought they were very good. Price seemed about average for Alaska, which is pretty expensive. Worth the price, and much better than having to pack snacks.

We stayed in the "rustic" rooms at the Chalet. Clean, comfortable, small but no complaints. Just remember to bring your umbrella if you plan to walk around in the evening.

We rather enjoyed the Cabin Night dinner show. It was very entertaining and the actors/servers did a good job interacting with the audience. We thought the meal, served family style, was good. No one went hungry at our table, there was plenty of food for everyone, and if you ran out of something, it was quickly replenished by the servers.

If I ever go back, I may not do the cabin night again, as I would like to try something new next time I take this adventure again, but I would recommend it at least once. Good family entertainment. I have no idea about the Denali Park Salmon Bake Restaurant. Sorry.

We did this a few years ago-- yes assigned seats in the train for us. Also had several meals on board on separate days (we went to MtMcKinley/denali/fairbanks-- all meals were great & great service. Didn't pay for them it was in a Kirkland Signature package-- but recall as above when glancing at the menu to order that it was a bit pricey but not horriffic. No info about the Denali Salmon Bake-- but we did the NP bus out to FishCreek for 9hrs and was EXCELLENT! me, DH & even the 3yr old was great the entire. Saw tons of wlidlife & breathtaking views.

We did the Cruise/Tour in May. Seats are assigned on the train. Don't know the cost of meals as our tour had all meals in Alaska paid. Food was quite good, and we enjoyed eating on the train. They come through the cars and inquire if you are eating with them, and then call groups down as tables are ready.

McKinley Chalets were fine--certainly not the Ritz, but roomy and quite comfortable for one night. It's really a "cabin" type accomodation. Beds were comfortable, room was clean, and shower had hot water the next morning, so what more is necessary?

Enjoy your trip!

Food is expensive in Alaska, but the meals on the train were certainly no more than anyplace else, and very good in my opinion. As others said, they go through the car and see who wants to go down and then call you as a table opens up. It worked quite nicely.

McKinley Chalets was quite fine. Clean, comfy and not, in my memory as 'rustic' as some people suggest. But then there are a number of buildings and perhaps they differ.

All I do remember is that there was no A/C and even thought it was only late May, it was rather warm. But there was a ceiling fan as I remember.

This was our room in the then-new Chalet Canyon Lodge. A nice modern place. I couldn't get wifi in the room, but we were just a few steps from a balcony "game room" overlooking the main lobby where I could pick it up. Free!

2774472460099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2624505380099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm glad we will have assigned seats on the train. I just hate to run and push everyone out of the way just to get a good seat, (just kidding)!!

That seems like a good plan to come around and see how many are interested in meals. Did they show you a menu at that time? There are 6 in our group.

I agree, as long as the rooms are clean, comfortable and have hot water, no complaints. We have learned to always carry umbrellas, also comes in handy on hot, sunny days. Charlie

Not for us, but again we were only there for breakfast.

We were told the train left at 8am and would arrive around 3:45pm. I thought someone mentioned both breakfast & lunch would be offered on the train. Charlie

If you are going Anchorage to Denali it is 8-3:45 or 4PM. Two meals served (if you want) are breakfast and lunch. No menu is shown ahead of time, but nice choices when actually seated for meal in lower part of car. Denali to Fairbanks was about 4 hours, and dinner was served.

We were told the train left at 8am and would arrive around 3:45pm. I thought someone mentioned both breakfast & lunch would be offered on the train. Charlie
It depends on which leg you are on. We were on the train from Fairbanks to Denali, 8:15a to 12:15p, and only breakfast was offered.

Archived