Victoria BC, Canada

TSCRUISING

Putterdude, thanks for the link. We're taking an early am ferry from Seattle on August 11 then doing the city/Butchart Gardens tour and exploring the Inner Harbor area before ending our day with an early evening ferry back to Seattle. We've heard that the Seattle skyline is a great sight at night from the water. Oh, on Friday I had one of those great days on the golf course. It started out awful with a triple bogey on the first hole. However, I played the next 17 exceptionally well--1 bogey, 11 pars, and 5 birdies for a 1 under 70!!!! This just goes to show you that a bad start doesn't necessarily mean a bad round!!!

John

MY DW loves the idea of a 'ghost tour'. Do they have organized ghost tours that we can partake in??

Cheers

Len

Our family will (hopefully) be doing a ghost tour mid-August. I'm not sure about NCL, but it isn't something offered by Princess as an excursion. Check out Discoverthepast.com they have regularly scheduled walking tours that begin at the Visitor's center. I am still debating the transportation for us--we will be doing the later tour, so thought we would walk from the ship and see the sights and then rush back in a cab as soon as it is over. I am going to email them and get a little more info...

I didn't catch when you were going--before or after me?

Our family will (hopefully) be doing a ghost tour mid-August. I'm not sure about NCL, but it isn't something offered by Princess as an excursion. Check out Discoverthepast.com they have regularly scheduled walking tours that begin at the Visitor's center. I am still debating the transportation for us--we will be doing the later tour, so thought we would walk from the ship and see the sights and then rush back in a cab as soon as it is over. I am going to email them and get a little more info...

I didn't catch when you were going--before or after me?

We will be in Victoria on Aug 28, 2010

And thanks for the info, I'll be checking it out

Cheers

Len

We're thinking of eating at the wharf area too. Any recommendations for food over that way? We'll have a 6 year old with us. I don't like outside seating.

For those of you who DON'T MIND outdoor seating, I HIGHLY recommend Red Fish, Blue Fish (It is the twin of

Go Fish! in Vancouver if you have ever been there) It is a fish 'n' chips place located in a bright blue shipping container right on the wharf - near the float planes. They have the most amazing fish tacos. I LOVE Go Fish! in Vancouver and i love this place too ... so good!!!

Tax, Limo would be my alternative recommendation or the cruiseline tour.

IMHO if you are docking on a Friday/Saturdy think hard about this. We left from dock at 7:15, traffic was heavy and got to Butchart entrance around 8:30. They have a nice weekend fireworks show that runs from 10-10:30 then the tour left. That left us with about one hour and half to view the park. That would have been enough time but if weather is good, its weekend, and you got fireworks and say 3 cruise ships in port with 20-30 tour busses there... you get the picture :eek:

Lets say we were happy we took the cruiseline tour as we were the last bus on our ship back, and we were the last people on board 15' AFTER he allboard time :o. We were charged 70 dollars/person versus the entrance ticket of 29 bucks. If you have a large group a limo could be the way to go to avoid having to deal with the pace or slowness of 40 people big bus tour. I met a person from our ship who rented a limo and got back much earlier than us but got perhaps another 15' there in the park. If I had to do it all over again, as much as I liked the garden and fireworks I would have just done the town.

Does anyone know if you can easily get transportaion to the Gardens after you get off the cruise ship? We do not dock until 6:30, and I am wondering if I should just book the tour through the cruise ship or gofor it after we get off...time is limited however...

Is there anything to do here? What would you suggest?

Victoria is the place to see Orcas. On our recent cruise on the Amsterdam they cancelled the Orca tour due to bad weather. Not to be deterred we found Seafun Safaris who ran a tour at 6pm. Brilliant. Super fast boat called Serengeti (3 x 250hp outboards) you can travel large distances to see the pods. We had great views of pod J estimate 40 orcas. Coming back the waves were 6 feet making this the most exhilirating ride of our lives! Highly recommended.

Spent a day in Victoria post cruise (leaving from Vancouver) a couple of weeks ago.

Took the float plane over coupled with an orca whalewatching tour. It was spectacular! Saw lots of orcas and even a small gray whale that's been hanging out in the area for a few weeks.

Ate at Milestones (812 Wharf Street) right beside the float plane terminal, facing the Parliament building and across from the Empress Hotel. Delicious halibut fish n chips!!

Saw the little green ferry darting about all day. FYI - It's small (maybe holds 4-6 people) and seems to move quickly (much quicker than the other boats in the harbor). Not scary quick, just get where you are going quick. I'm sure a young boy would LOVE it!

• 3 weeks later...
MY DW loves the idea of a 'ghost tour'. Do they have organized ghost tours that we can partake in??

Cheers

Len

Hi Len--I finally got around to emailing Discover the Past and here is their reply...(I asked regarding the 9:30 pm tour.)

Thanks for your email. The tour does end at 11:00 pm, but if it runs a little late, it is easy to leave a few minutes ahead of time. It ends in Bastion Square (4 blocks from the Visitor Info Centre). It is very easy to catch a cab at that time from close to where the tour ends.

Payment is cash only, but either US or Cdn funds are accepted.

We hope you will be able to attend.

Ghostly Walks

Archived