ROLL CALL - NCL EPIC TransAtlantic - May 7th, 2011

aireboy

3 weeks today and we'll be in Miami getting ready to board The Epic the following day. This cruise can't come soon enough as I'm getting sick of this winter that doesn't want to loosen it's grip on us! Snow the other day and more forecasted for this coming weekend!! Mother nature is a cruel lady! I think a gay Father Nature would have more of a heart and send some warmth our way! He would know how bad the cold, dry weather is on our sagging,aging skin and wouldn't want to see us age before our time!! Gotta keep up appearances!

Can't wait to hoist a cocktail or two with you all!!

Allen

Welcome James and LifeBoat! As for the questions regarding the Spa, there is an area that is an extra charge. You can have that charge billed to your stateroom when you go to the spa. I don't have any idea what they will charge, but when we did the Jewel crossing two years ago it was an excellent investment. I imagine it will be around $150, but I really don't know for sure. We intend to sign up for sure and see what it's like. Quite a few gay men seemed to follow suit and it was fun to hang out with them on the last crossing we did.

Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite

Expanding on the popular Thermal Suite on board the line's Jewel class ships, Norwegian Epic's adults-only Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite features separate men's and women's areas equipped with sauna, aromatherapy steam, experience showers and heated ceramic loungers. In addition, the Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite features a tropical garden communal setting, chaise lounge seating, a pool with massaging jets and waterfalls, a whirlpool and an outdoor relaxation deck.

Welcome, F&W! We're glad to hear you're on board! It seems like there's going to be a nice group on our crossing!

I'd like to propose a date and time for our cabin crawl. Please let me know if there's any conflict with meeting on Thursday, May 12th at 11 am at

the Fat Cats Lounge, Deck 6. We can have lunch together at 1 pm for anyone that would like to join us in the dining room.

So far, this is who is showing their cabins. We would love to see some other unique cabins such as an interior studio, so please let us know if you have something else you are willing to let us see! And, of course, everyone is welcome to attend!

Denman David & Derek Std. Balcony. 13095

CC & JP Chow-Chi & Jean-Philippe Courtyard. 16015

jpa34 Allen & Darrell Mini Suite 11249

AirSea&Rail Keith Large Balcony 12092

Would those who have agreed to let us see their staterooms, please let me know if this time works for you?

One month from today we'll be well into the Atlantic! Can't wait! :D

David and Derek

Thanks for your confirmation, Allen and Darrell! Will this work for you cc&jp and AirSea&Rail? It won't be long now, guys! Three weeks and we will be afloat!

Sorry for the delay, but yes, it's totally ok for us !

We'll have to ask for an authorization from the courtyard buttler, because the access to this part of the ship is private. But I think it's not a problem as we'll process quietly ;-)

cc&jp

Welcome James and LifeBoat! As for the questions regarding the Spa, there is an area that is an extra charge. You can have that charge billed to your stateroom when you go to the spa. I don't have any idea what they will charge, but when we did the Jewel crossing two years ago it was an excellent investment. I imagine it will be around $150, but I really don't know for sure. We intend to sign up for sure and see what it's like. Quite a few gay men seemed to follow suit and it was fun to hang out with them on the last crossing we did.

Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite

Expanding on the popular Thermal Suite on board the line's Jewel class ships, Norwegian Epic's adults-only Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite features separate men's and women's areas equipped with sauna, aromatherapy steam, experience showers and heated ceramic loungers. In addition, the Hydrotherapy Courtyard & Thermal Suite features a tropical garden communal setting, chaise lounge seating, a pool with massaging jets and waterfalls, a whirlpool and an outdoor relaxation deck.

On the Jade, 2 years ago, we paid $200 for 2 (it was $150 for one). On the Epic, we had a SPA Suite, so this price was included in the price of the cabin. It should be something like $150 too on the Epic, perhaps a little higher :-(

The thermal part has separate accesses for men and women, with showers, sauna... but the main part (where you can find massaging jets and waterfalls, hot stone chairs and the outside part, aft, you can relax with a view from behind the ship, is mixed. During the first transatlantic it was a bit cold outside.

On the Jade the "shared" part was the smaller part. It's the contrary on the Epic, the shared part is the bigger part. Keep on your towels ;-)

Thanks, Chow-Chi and Jean-Philippe! Once we hear from Keith, then we will have 4 stops on the crawl confirmed. If it's okay with you guys, maybe we make your Villa suite the last stop since it is certainly the nicest stateroom and area to see!

As for the the Spa area, we really enjoyed the NCL Jewel (same class as the Jade) when we were on her crossing two years ago at this time. There were naked gay men everywhere! LOL But I'm sure this will be just as enjoyable, but we'll just have to be a bit more prudish on the Epic.:D

Hi guys! I'm just curious what you have planned, if anything, in the Azores. When we were there 2 years ago, we just walked around the town which was very interesting. This time, we are interested in possibly seeing some other parts of the island. However, there are THREE ships in port on the day we are there, so it is going to be very busy and most local tour operators are already booked. Any ideas? We'd be up for possibly tagging along if anyone has something booked.

So, what are you all planning, if anything?

Thanks...

David & Derek

We have done the Azores on an excursion that included a Tea Plantation, Botanical Gardens and Hot springs. Very interesting. This time around we plan to do a walkabout around town on our own or with others who wish to do so. Can't wait for the 7th. We are trying to tie together a lot of loose ends right now as we will be out of the country until October. Lots to do, but the time will go quickly and we will be together with the rest of you. We are so looking forward to meeting you all and especially to seeing our friends, Allen and Darrell, once again.

I started this thread in July last year. It's great to see how many of us are onboard. I'm not very computer savvy, can anyone figure out how we can get a list started with our names and cabin numbers? Who ever wants to take on the task, my name is Chuck in cabin 10185. Is anyone coming in before the cruise??? I can host a pool party in Ft. Lauderdale if anyone is interested the night before the cruise. Let me know at aireboy@gmail.com

I think it might be nice just to meet each other on board and then create a list there at the FOD gathering toward the end of the cruise in case guys want to keep in touch with each other. That seemed to work out well on my last TA and it leaves a nice element of surprise as to whom you may meet on board. However, if someone would like to do the list beforehand, that's cool too! My friend Derek and I are in 13095.

Is there a way to insure that the FOD gathering will be posted at a reasonable time such as 5 pm daily? The best turnout by far at FOD gatherings is at happy hour.

Hi David (Denman),

Last year on our TA we had a scheduled FOD meeting time at 7pm each night.

It was a good time to catch up on everyone's daytime activities. We spent an hour or so together and then headed out for dinner at 8. Sometimes we would go with 6 of us, others times 10, upwards of 24.

We found the hour together was enjoyable and enough time for pre-dinner drinks, followed by a few hours lingering over dinner.

This works well for those who like to dine around 8ish. If you'd prefer an earlier dining time then 7pm might be a tad late.

We found the majority of the guys on our last cruise did enjoy dining later and had a terrific turn out of guys for pre-dinner cocktails. Those who preferred earlier dining met us for post dinner cocktails instead.

The later dining time tied in beautifully with the late shows in the theatre or other venues.

Darrell and I find that an earlier meeting time around 5 would take away from the afternoon aboard the ship. If the weather is nice we enjoy sunning our winter weary bodies up on deck or enjoying the time on our balcony. To meet for 5 we'd have to pack things up around 3 in order to get our aging faces looking presentable for others to see (lol).

But if the general concensus from others is for an earlier time then you will all have to put up with our lackadasy appearance! Your choice!!

Can't wait for these next two weeks to pass by so we can get on with meeting you all and leave this post behind!

Talk soon.

Allen and Darrell

What would you guys think about splitting the difference and going for a 6 pm FOD time? Some I think would enjoy eating just a tad earlier, and those who don't can linger at the FOD a bit longer. Just a thought...

And many sea days will be a bit chilly as the afternoon moves on...

I've noticed a transition away from the term FOD. The younger generation of cruisers have no idea what FOD means. We want to capture a wider scope of gay cruisers to include some of the staff as well. GLBT has been replacing FOD on many ships. There's a posting regarding this issue on the G&L Roll Call page 1.

I'll volunteer to do the first posting onboard ship as "GLBT/FOD" cocktail hour. I'm not sure what NCL's policy is about printing it in the 'daily activities' bulletin. Celebrity/RCCL have stopped and it's now a self-posting on the bulletin board located at Customer Relations.

On departure day, check the bulletin board.

6 pm would work out just fine for us, if that's what everyone else would prefer!?

On our last NCL crossing they did have a FOD meeting posted in the daily news letter but we found the venue the gave us, the observation lounge, didn't fit well so some guys scoped out an alternate and from day 2 onwards we had our space reserved at a smaller , more intimate space.

I'm sure whatever NCL does or doesn't do can be re-planned by us and what works well for us. Any lounge area will work and you'll find the workers fight over getting us confirmed into their spaces on a nightly basis.

Chuck, that's a great idea though if you could post something on the bulletin board with a time and place for the meeting, in case NCL has stopped doing it.

Hopefully we can attract as large a group as possible!

Thanks for your help with that, Chuck! I agree that I've seen it listed more and more as GLBT rather than Friends Of Dorothy.

I checked with Derek and he would much prefer 6 pm as well. Does that seem okay with the others here as well?

15 days!!

Hey, Chuck - a pool party would be great, but we don't get in to Miami until late Friday night.

We're heading out to the Everglades for an airboat tour Saturday a.m. if anyone wants to join us.

NCL will reserve a time and place for FOD, and list in the Daily Freestyle. We can talk to the Cruise Director to change, though.

David & Derek - We were able to hook up with a small group doing a 4 hour tour in PD. Want me to see if there's room for more? I think it's 40 euro each.

Paul & George

Hi Paul and George!

We would definitely be interested in the 4 hour tour in PD. That's a perfect amount of time and a good price too! Thanks for your help in asking about this. See you all soon! David and Derek

Hello guys !

We'll be at the FoD meeting, whenever it will be. NCL will put it in the daily program for sure. It worth a try to change the name and the time of the meeting, you're right.

On the Epic (june 2010), there were 2 "meetings". The official one (7 PM, Bliss) and another one, spontaneous, same place, later, say around 11 PM. And it was not the same people at all... that made me think the Bliss is definitively a gay bar ;-)

We met people who wasn't aware at all about what could be "FoD" meetings. We saw others men couples who could be gay (more than 95% sure ;-) but who were never seen at any meetings. And we saw people once and then never again.

Well... it's freestyle after all ! But the issue about using LGBT beside or at the place of "Friends of Dorothy" is a real one (browse some forums here !) and I'm sure people could miss it because of that. Too bad !

We will leave Paris, France soon now, to start with the Oasis of the Seas, just before the Epic... we'll see how Dorothy and her friends are doing there too, knowing that RCCI don't officialy do anything about it and let people publish personal ads ;-)

CC&JPO

Hi Paul and George!

We would definitely be interested in the 4 hour tour in PD. That's a perfect amount of time and a good price too! Thanks for your help in asking about this. See you all soon! David and Derek

Unfortunately, our tour is full - just heard back from the person who organized it.

11 days!

Archived