ROLL CALL - NCL EPIC TransAtlantic - May 7th, 2011

aireboy

Only a few more days before sailing away into the skies and over the ocean on the Epic-- while joining what appears to be a very interesting and diverse group!

Since I haven't checked this thread for several days, it was most exciting to find the number of people who have posted messages with very helpful information and tips (most appreciated).

Richard and I (David) will be in balcony cabin 9190.

Cruises

Dec. 2008 Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas 2 back-to-back Western Caribbean

March 2009 Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 2 back-to-back Bahamas

May 2009 Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic to Southampton, England

August 2009 Carnival Paradise Mexican Riviera

December 2009 Carnival Imagination 5 back-to-back Caribbean

March 2010 Norwegian Star Mexican Riviera

September 2010 Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean

December 2010 Norwegian Jade Eastern Mediterranean from Barcelona

March 2011 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean

Scheduled:

May 2011 Norwegian Epic Transatlantic to Barcelona

December 2011 Norwegian Spirit 2 back-to-back Caribbean from New Orleans

March 2012 Norwegian Jewel 2 back-to-back Caribbean from Miami

December 2012 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas 9 Days Caribbean

I was also on the first Epic repo. Yes, the TVs, room safes, and even the phones were not all working on that crossing but I was astounded when NCL sent me a credit voucher for 1/2 of my (cheap-to-begin-with) fare!

I also took the Epic from Miami this winter and all of the bugs seem to have been addressed. It is a nice ship, more interesting because of its departures from NCL's "norms", than its size.

Looking forward to meeting you all. I'm in a studio (12514) and happy to host part of a cabin crawl, etc.

Jim

:cool:

Thanks for offering your studio, Jim! That's what we were looking for! Let's see how many gay men we can cram in there! LOL The list is below and all have confirmed except Keith.

We will meet on Thursday, May 12th at 11 am at

the Fat Cats Lounge, Deck 6. We can have lunch together at 1 pm for anyone that would like to join us in the dining room.

So far, this is who is showing their cabins. We would love to see some other unique cabins, so please let us know if you have something else you are willing to let us see! And, of course, everyone is welcome to attend!

jpa34 Allen & Darrell Mini Suite #11249 CONFIRMED

AirSea&Rail Keith Large Balcony #12092 WAITING CONFIRMATION

Repositioner Jim Inside Studio #12514 CONFIRMED

Denman David & Derek Std. Balcony #13095 CONFIRMED

CC & JP Chow-Chi & Jean-Philippe Courtyard Villa #16015 CONFIRMED

Hey everyone, just found this great roll call today!

I'm booked on Epic TA 7th May - third time on Epic. I was just on Epic last month when I went solo for 7 nights - had a lot of fun, though no one really turned up at the FoD meets.

Seems like it will be a good crowd for the TA cruise! :D

There will probably be two of us, I'm Sam, 33 and from Canada and travelling with a good friend Mark, 34 from the US. And despite the fact that in the regular forums everyone assumes (because of F/A?) that I am a girl, I'm definitely a guy ;)

6 days to go, it's gonna be mega!

CC and JP,

Since you've been on Epic which specialty restaurants do you suggest?

I booked Cagney's and LeBistro.

Thx.........Chuck

Hi Chuck,

There's so many great options on Epic it's hard to choose!

One of my favourites on Epic is Le Bistro. They bill it onboard as the ships most upscale restaurant, and it's a little bit more classic and a tad more formal than some of the other restaurants. However it wasn't stuff, and I love the menu - Escargots are to die for, Coq au vin and Beef Tenderloin are always good, and the deserts are also standouts. Great experience.

My other favourites include Moderno - the Churrascaria. Meat lovers will be in heaven here, and the salad bar is the biggest and most varied "salad" bar I've ever seen. This is more of a social dining experience so I did not go when I was cruising solo last month.

Cagneys I thought was "ok", but stick to the tried and trusted steaks - other dishes like the rack of lamb are pretty weak.

La Cucina is a very casual and pretty setting, it's only $10 which I think is reasonable as the entrees here are nothing too amazing, but it's a fun setting and the big anti-pasta plate, Italian bread selections and fabulous appetisers alone make it worth it.

I wasn't that impressed with Shanghai's (Asian/Chinese restaurant), but the Teppanyaki is another more social dining experience that is just as much entertainment as it is great food.

Taste and Manhattan Room both really surprised me with the level of service and the quality of the cuisine. NCL has acheived a MAJOR uptick in their MDR offering from past NCL cruises and it definitely exceeded my expectations. When "Legends in Concert" are playing at dinner in Manhattan it can be very fun!

Thanks for offering your studio, Jim! That's what we were looking for! Let's see how many gay men we can cram in there! LOL The list is below and all have confirmed except Keith.

the Fat Cats Lounge, Deck 6. We can have lunch together at 1 pm for anyone that would like to join us in the dining room.

So far, this is who is showing their cabins. We would love to see some other unique cabins, so please let us know if you have something else you are willing to let us see! And, of course, everyone is welcome to attend!

I also have a Large Balcony cabin - the angled balconies are massive - however it's pretty much identical to 12092 (Keith) above. In fact, I just stayed in 12092 on my cruise last month :D:D

Hi Sam...welcome to the group! What cabin are you in? I'll check with Keith once on board to see if he wants to show his, but just in case he's not available, I'll call you. Looking forward to meeting all of you soon!

Hello guys !

We'll be at the FoD meeting, whenever it will be. NCL will put it in the daily program for sure. It worth a try to change the name and the time of the meeting, you're right.

On the Epic (june 2010), there were 2 "meetings". The official one (7 PM, Bliss) and another one, spontaneous, same place, later, say around 11 PM. And it was not the same people at all... that made me think the Bliss is definitively a gay bar ;-)

We met people who wasn't aware at all about what could be "FoD" meetings. We saw others men couples who could be gay (more than 95% sure ;-) but who were never seen at any meetings. And we saw people once and then never again.

Well... it's freestyle after all ! But the issue about using LGBT beside or at the place of "Friends of Dorothy" is a real one (browse some forums here !) and I'm sure people could miss it because of that. Too bad !

We will leave Paris, France soon now, to start with the Oasis of the Seas, just before the Epic... we'll see how Dorothy and her friends are doing there too, knowing that RCCI don't officialy do anything about it and let people publish personal ads ;-)

CC&JPO

Just an FYI that a few weeks ago when I was on Epic, the FoD was scheduled in the Freestyle Daily each night. It was scheduled for either 7pm or 7.30pm at the Shakers Martini Bar every night apart from the first night where they had it at Fat Cats (a bad choice, as the venue was actually closed at that time!!). Shakers worked out not bad, a lot of folks don't realise that the venue extends back and round the corner and there is additional seating that is kind of hidden.

It was listed as "LGBT get together" in the Freestyle Daily.

I thought the 7.00 or 7.30pm they scheduled was a great time. At 5pm or 6pm I'm usually just heading back to my room to shower and slowly get ready for dinner, whereas by doing it at around 7 you could get ready for dinner first, stop by, have a cocktail then head off - worked great.

Thanks for the info. on the GLBT gathering. A TA cruise is quite a bit different than a typical Caribbean cruise with many port days. It's easy to be ready earlier since there's no where else to be and since many shows are scheduled for 7 pm, many will prefer to attend those and eat afterwards. Or, simply eat at 7 or 7:30 instead of 8:30. Also, the FOD tends to go longer so if we schedule for 6, those that wish to show up later can certainly do that. I've seen these gatherings go for a couple hours. The crowd tends to be a bit more "mature" shall we say :rolleyes: on a TA (including myself) and an earlier meeting time is a nice option. On three nights we have entertainment scheduled for 7 and on two other nights we have dinner reservations at specialty restaurants for 7:30. But, regardless of what happens, I'm sure it will all work out and a good time will be had by all!

Hey guys...

To be honest, I'm not sure whether Fat Cats will be open to meet there at 11 am on the Thursday, the 12th. So, check with us early at the GLBT gatherings and we'll update the location if I don't hear back from NCL regarding which lounge would be best to meet in. See you soon!:)

Hey everyone, just found this great roll call today!

I'm booked on Epic TA 7th May - third time on Epic. I was just on Epic last month when I went solo for 7 nights - had a lot of fun, though no one really turned up at the FoD meets.

Seems like it will be a good crowd for the TA cruise! :D

There will probably be two of us, I'm Sam, 33 and from Canada and travelling with a good friend Mark, 34 from the US. And despite the fact that in the regular forums everyone assumes (because of F/A?) that I am a girl, I'm definitely a guy ;)

6 days to go, it's gonna be mega!

Hi Sam, and welcome to the forum!! Good to see another Western Canadian guy on the posting. Darrell and i are in the process of moving out to Calgary, from Winnipeg where we have lived all our lives. I took a transfer from work and came out to Calgary 2 months ago while Darrell will be following in June. I work as a Customer Sales and Service Agent with Air Canada at YYC. Looks like we may have a few things in common and I look forward to meeting you onboard the ship!

4 more shifts to work and I'll be off for 20 days!! This can't come quickly enough!

Allen

I'll be on the May 7th crossing and looking forward to meeting all of you guys. I am traveling alone, staying in The Studios (have been on Epic 2ce already). I hope to meet you all the first evening wherever our special gathering is planned... William

PS: I will also be on Epic for its Fall west-bound crossing.:cool:

BTW, I am in Studio 12552. If you have not been in The Studios before, 5 30 PM gathering of all Studio pax is a daily event. Or just leave a message under my door. Look forward to meeting all.....You all will love The Studios and our private Living Room, not necessarily the rest of the ship.

Hi, William here, just found this thread and am anxious to meet all. I am on my 3rd Epic cruise; traveling alone, in Studio 12552. I am happy to host for the mini-crawl IF you guys are interested in seeing a unique Studio, unlike any other on board... I'll leave it a surprise, so if interested, sign me up...... And you can confirm right now that I will do it...

William

Thanks, William! We already have Jim (Repositioner) confirmed to show his studio on the 12th, but thank you for your offer! Perhaps some of us will try and meet you in the studio lounge someday at 5:30 however!

We are still waiting confirmation from Keith (AirSeaRail)...

We will meet at 11 am on Thursday the 12th. The location for meeting will likely change, so check in at the FOD/GLBT gathering for an update for all who are interested in the cabin crawl!

Heading to FLL on Thursday. Hard to believe it's finally that time! :D

David

Hi guys!

We will meet at 11 am on Thursday the 12th at Malting's Whiskey Bar, Deck 7 Aft instead of Fat Cats which is more of an evening venue. Lunch will follow for anyone who would like to join us at the Taste restaurant. See you next week! David & Derek

So, to summarize:

We will meet on Thursday, May 12th at 11 am at Malting's Whiskey Bar, Deck 7 Aft. Lunch will follow for those who care to join as at about 1 pm at the Taste restaurant.

Archived