Aruba on our own

kdowneymd

You can find one or the other, but there are no nice beaches with dining, "chairs and umbrellas" where you can also find good snorkeling.

I would start your day snorkeling at Boca Catalina for a couple of hours and then head down to Palm Beach or Eagle Beach to enjoy a relaxing day on the beach.

Question about Palm Beach

palm beach vs eagle beach

Snorkeling Info

Catalina Cove and Boca Catalina. There is a small beach at Boca Catalina which is perfect for swimming and snorkeling. There are a few shade palapas here but no restroom facilities. There are no rest room facilities at all along the coast at either BC, Catalina Cove.

boca_catalinaa_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

The snorkeling is a bit better at Catalina Cove, though it is rocky and a difficult entry

catalina_covea_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

I have further information and photos of this area here

Addtional info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1056379

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=880985

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887416

IF you really wanted to just try snorkeling on Palm Beach-- it is not a lot to write home about but...

A short walk south towards the Phoenix Resort at the south end of Palm Beach, there is a break that goes about 80 yards out into the water. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5663237&lon=-70.0513762&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2 The water is very calm there.

There is also a little rock island which you have to swim out to

palai_sm.JPG click on thumbnail to enlarge

Here you should be able to find some fish, octopus, etc. There is a little Polis (Police) substation right there on the beach (point of reference- between the Westin and Phoenix). This is a perfect spot on Palm Beach if you just want to do some snorkeling on your own for free :)

Unfortunately the sand here is loaded with tiny coral pieces and rocks, but there is free shade

palac_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

No chaises though nor much else close by. See the bottom half of the page http://www.arubabound.com/photos/plmbch/pbch3.htm You can rent chaises and umbrellas down by the Radisson. There are beach bars and restaurants along the way and a nice pier bar and grill between the Radisson and Riu.

3 of us girls explored Aruba on our own via rented jeep but it has been 10 yrs ago. We did however hit the beach, saw the lighthouse, went to the Natural Bridge and snorkled at the Natural Pool..then however the only way to the Natural Pool was 4 wheel drive, hiking or by horseback.

This has been one of my fav days in all of my 18 cruises so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you I think I will snorkle in the AM and then move to the beach chairs and amenities. Looking at everything before I posted, I couldn't find anything with both so thought I would see if I had overlooked something. Thanks for the input

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for help! We visited a beautiful beach while in Aruba - walked through town, across a bridge with a yacht club, down a few more streets and in front of a restaurant, there it was! Beautiful, clean, relatively quiet. There was a pier, with a rope swing that everyone was swinging into the water from. Does anyone know of this beach? and know the name of it?? Thanks!

We want to rent a car in Aruba. Is there a public parking area at Palm Beach? I have only seen hotel parking but we need a place to park our rental car.

Also, several years ago we rented a small electric car for beach hopping and had a great day. When we were in Aruba last April, we didnt see any of these cars. Do they still have them for rent?

Last question: Is there a car rental place close to the cruise ship dock?

Thanks!

Looking for help! We visited a beautiful beach while in Aruba - walked through town, across a bridge with a yacht club, down a few more streets and in front of a restaurant, there it was! Beautiful, clean, relatively quiet. There was a pier, with a rope swing that everyone was swinging into the water from. Does anyone know of this beach? and know the name of it?? Thanks!

Surfside Beach :confused:

We want to rent a car in Aruba. Is there a public parking area at Palm Beach? I have only seen hotel parking but we need a place to park our rental car.

Near the Radisson and Riu there is on street parking on the eastern side of the road. You need to get their fairly early though for a parking spot. There is also a small parking lot southward between the Westin and Divi Phoenix near the police station on the beach.

Also, several years ago we rented a small electric car for beach hopping and had a great day. When we were in Aruba last April, we didnt see any of these cars. Do they still have them for rent?
Have never seen them.

Last question: Is there a car rental place close to the cruise ship dock?

Thanks!

I am not sure who, if anyone, is still there at the cruise ship terminal. I do know that Amigo Car Rental http://www.amigocar.com/ will deliver a car, take you back to their office and fill out the paperwork there. We have always had great service and vehicles from them.

There is also supposedly another rental agency there at the Renaissance in downtown Oranjestad.

Surfside Beach :confused:

Near the Radisson and Riu there is on street parking on the eastern side of the road. You need to get their fairly early though for a parking spot. There is also a small parking lot southward between the Westin and Divi Phoenix near the police station on the beach.

Have never seen them.

I am not sure who, if anyone, is still there at the cruise ship terminal. I do know that Amigo Car Rental http://www.amigocar.com/ will deliver a car, take you back to their office and fill out the paperwork there. We have always had great service and vehicles from them.

There is also supposedly another rental agency there at the Renaissance in downtown Oranjestad.

Thanks for your help! We have arranged for American Car Rental to have car at the ship's terminal. (they did away with the electric car rentals in Aruba in 2007--learned that yesterday)

Kim

Hello,

We are renting a Jeep and driving around Aruba on our own in October. Can anyone suggest a restaurant that is away from the cruise ship area for a nice lunch? We have eaten at the Italian restaurant at the lighthouse for lunch and really enjoyed the food and views. This time, we are considering doing something new.

Open to ideas!

-Kim

At the opposite end of the island from the lighthouse is Charlie's bar (which also serves food). There are not many out of the way places open for lunch except in the resort areas.

Thanks! I am going to check it out.

-Kim

Archived